The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What prizes do you like to receive?

Other than ribbons, that is. My mom and I have a corporate event planning business and we are doing a bit of marketing since we're new. My trainer is putting on a local H/J show this summer so we have offered to sponsor/buy the prizes that will be given out for the Champions and possibly Reserve Champ. For those of you who have put on/sponsored horse shows, what is the usual amount of $$ spent on each prize (keep in mind this is usually a smallish show...not sure if it will be schooling or SEDA recognized yet).
    Competitors, what do you really like to get? We probably won't be able to afford saddle pads, but it's definitely not counted out, either.
    If we include something like mugs in the prize, would you mind if our logo was on one side while something horsey was on the other? Our name and info would be included in the prizelist and whatnot, so there's already that...I don't want to be overkill.

Any ideas for prizes (and I'm sure you have them) would be greatly appreciated!
    Katie

Bags of treats (could print name on them)
    Brushes (could put stickers with name on them)
    Picture Frames
    Drawstring Backpacks like this (could have nameprinted on them): http://www.duffelbags.com/store/prod...21-1127-8.html

I got a hand towel once which I really liked. It just had the school's name on it (it was a college that does a winter series). That shouldn't be that expensive.

Other than that I love when they give out chairs but those are usually year-end prizes and expensive too I imagine.

At our local(small, but B rated) shows, they let you pick from a basket which prize you want. I've gotten everything from Starbucks cards to lead ropes to rainbow socks. I personally like the gift card idea and saddle pads(since I'm basically an addict). Usually the gift cards range from $10-$20 depending on what store they're from. As far as high point and champ/reserve champ stuff goes, the local circuit gives monogrammed coolers, director's chairs, blankets, saddle pads, eq boots, and even saddles for the bigger medals for the end of the finals/year awards.

Mugs are nice as long as they're not tacky looking. At our local schooling show finals, which was quite popular, winners received a Pessoa saddle or bridle, cooler and everyone received big ribbons, a drawstring backpack with treats and a hoof pick in them. It was very well put together. I think a pretty ribbon and a nice drawstring bag with hoof pick, tack sponge, and treats would be nice. Perhaps bigger classes could get a basket of shampoo, sweat scraper, flyspray and sponge sort of thing for summer.

I think mugs are nice. a lot of places around here give glasses/shot glasses (lol, yes)/wine glasses/mugs/tall glasses with the horse show logo on it for all first place winners. i see champions get hats sometimes w/ logo on it. i mean, personally i'd hate to receive a baseball cap, because i never wear the darn things. but plenty of people like them, so that's just me. saddle pads are nice. if youre on a budget, cheap baby pads w/ logo or just "champ" embroidered on them would be cute.
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

We recieved a Starbucks gift card and a picture mug where you can put your own pictures in under the plastic. We did a whole montage of the show and put it in the mug. One of our favorite prizes.

I always like getting things I can use when I ride, like saddle pads (or baby pads which would be less expensive) or coolers, even socks. It's always fun to be able to show off something you won when you ride

Quote Originally Posted by dghunter View Post
    Other than that I love when they give out chairs but those are usually year-end prizes and expensive too I imagine.
    Chairs actually are pretty inexpensive. And very useful.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    Chairs actually are pretty inexpensive. And very useful.
    I always thought they would be pretty expensive but I admit I've never bought one so have no idea. And they are VERY useful. I've never gotten one but my friend has a few and I'm super jealous

For local shows, some do saddle pads (usually dover ones that are then embroidered), others give a variety of things. Another show gave out little canisters they'd personalized with the name of the show and they were filled with horse cookies. Our barn hosts a local circuit show each summer, and we had an extra Pony Palooza grooming kit we donated for the beginner rider division prize.

My personal preference - saddle pads, embroidered with something indicating I won it as a division prize. Of course, I am searching for a saddle pads anonymous chapter, but until then will continue to collect.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

A question about the saddle pads...should they definitely be white? I've always seen them as white but would you rather a different color? Maybe navy?
    I like the socks idea. Maybe something cool for the summer like Zocks?

I was thinking something small like this http://planaheadevents-sbatonrouge.c...75&pSRVC_Id=65or this http://planaheadevents-sbatonrouge.c...60&pSRVC_Id=65 with our logo on it. Just so we don't impose our logo on something you don't want it on, but still get it out there

Thanks for the ideas guys! All of them are great so far Keep 'em coming!
    Katie

Honestly, anything I can use! I like horse treats, saddle pads, coolers, things like that. I also really liked winning a cup. Literally, a cup LOL. It is an Awesome cup. Has a pic of a horse jumping. I like it =) And when I was champ at training level, I got a bridle hook w/a dressage horse trotting. I love that thing.

I'm probably in the minority here, but as a rule I generally don't like corporate logos and such on prizes. I guess a mug wouldn't be too bad (I would probably never use it anyways!) but I never wear shirts/hats/etc with corporate stuff on them. I don't mind having the show series/barn name/prize (champion of x division) on them though.
    CRAYOLA POSSE - Olive Green
    Champions aren't born. They are built little by little, day by day, with patience and love for the art. -Nick Skelton

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Horse View Post
    A question about the saddle pads...should they definitely be white? I've always seen them as white but would you rather a different color? Maybe navy?
    I love color, but not everyone does. I've been to shows where they had a stack of pads in various colors that all had "HORSE SHOW NAME Champion" on them. You chose which color you wanted. That was nice - unless you won the last division and got whatever was left, you had some say in what you got. I think I picked purple with pink embroidery that day for DD's sake
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Undercover View Post
    I'm probably in the minority here, but as a rule I generally don't like corporate logos and such on prizes. I guess a mug wouldn't be too bad (I would probably never use it anyways!) but I never wear shirts/hats/etc with corporate stuff on them. I don't mind having the show series/barn name/prize (champion of x division) on them though.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I didn't want to stick it on a saddle pad or anything like that. That's why I was thinking something insignificant like a pen or keychain

Oh and I've been to SO many shows where I won hats...and this was back when I never ever wore them...they just sat in my closet...I don't think I'll be doing hats
    Katie

Smile

We have been to several shows that have given out disposable cameras. You can have your logo or whatever put on them. The great thing about that was that it didn't matter if you won several of them! All ages seemed to like them and they aren't that expensive! Also, a small food/drink cooler of some sort would be appreciated or maybe a "food stand" credit! I think people like things that they can "use up." The idea of letting people pick is a good idea, until you reach the end of the day..........You could also have notepads made with your logo and pens to go with them. Noone has enough notepads and pens/pencils around a show. You always need one for something - particularly one with a sticky back, like a post-it. Hair nets would not be bad either. The kids always lose them and need new ones. Boot socks? Sun screen for faces? Horse treats are always appreciated, as are "people treats." Magnetic picture frames for your refrig can always be personalized. "Water scrapers and other bath products" for horses are good. Small towels are always appreciated too. Crochet hooks for unbraiding manes and small hoof picks are good too. Kids always lose those things. Small buckets are good for tack cleaning, as is a tack hook and soap. You can also buy the bags that are reusable for grocery stores, etc. and put your monogram/logo on it. Kids will use them for everything from dirty clothes, to treats, etc. You can get some good prices on those at www.papermart.com

Good luck! It sounds like you are getting some good ideas!

lottery tickets/scratch offs.

Smile Show prizes

Mugs, glasses, saddle pads. I think the kids wouldn't mind a trophy such as a silver plate etc. Whatever happened to that?

I won a monogramed totebag from one of our local shows. Use it all the time, I think it's one of the best prizes I've won.