The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Unhappy Neighbors using unusual training method

I am trying to keep the neighbor boarders on my ignore list. I hate to read the nosy neighbor threads and I'm trying to practice the fingers in ears, la la la eyes closed method of getting along. A polite good morning and little interaction and conversation as in good fences make good neighbors, my advice is not asked for blah , blah, blah.
    I went down to trim hedges and vines at 10 A.M. The two horses next door are tied head up to the top of their overhang. One is wearing a saddle. Neither can drink water. It is 4:30 now so they have been that way for 6 1/2 hours.
    I don't want to get involved in any dispute, it only escalates our differences. I got chewed out when my sprinklers were over shooting my arena and getting water on the other side of the fence, lesson learned.
    I feel bad for the horses.... and worse because I can't untie them.
    Sorry for the vent, I hate being in this f'd up situation.

Any chance you could just toddle over there and in all innocence, untie them and say you were just trying to help? That surely they must have forgotten they were tied and of course they would want the best for them, which is food and water? Jeeeeeeze I would be beside myself.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

OMG. You know, I will never understand what people are trying to accomplish with things like that.
    I wish a curse on them, I hope those horses get tummyaches and keep them up all night, the miserable asshats (but that the horses are ok).
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

I would do that if one of them wasn't wearing a saddle. I don't want to exacerbate the situation and have him rolling and getting caught up in his tack. If they weren't getting fed I could just do covert operations and throw them some hay after dark.
    This is frustrating and there isn't really a solution.
    PS Jaeger- that would be me staying up all night, I have been the "go to " person when past boarders needed banamine for colic, it's a shame. I am trying to stay detached but it's not easy.

Oh GOOD they are untied and eating hay. I am so confused about the point of having their heads tied up all day .

They aren't in your barn are they? Give them the banamine and go home. I know it's hard, but you have to do it.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

What is wrong with people? In my mind this is abuse while I am sure in your asshat neighbor's mind it is "training". No advice on how to handle it. I would have already made a call, consequences be damned.
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

These horses are not on your property, correct? If not, do not go on the neighbor's property - trespassing is against the law. Take some pictures and call animal control. If they are truly tied with their heads elevated, well, that sounds like a clear-cut case of abuse.

Back in the day, some WP trainers used to (maybe they still do) tie the horses' heads way up and leave them for hours on end, then when they untied them (gradually as an abrupt change can cause problems) the necks were so tired the poor animals couldn't pick their heads up. This resulted in the then-desirable "peanut roller" headset.

I am hoping this practice has gone the way of polyester leisure suits.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

No they don't board here.... none of my boarders would be allowed to stay here for a minute if they deprived their horses' water.
    Horse care widely differs in cultures and disciplines, I am trying to be tolerant and understand how "my sensibilities " are not accepted by everyone.
    FWIW at least I can relax now.

It is designed to make the hiorse too tired to hold his head up, I had a trainer that did it. I left that barn for a whole host of reasons. Call animal control.

Pleasure trainers do that to make the horse carry their head low. I left a great job due to inhumane practices which included tying heads up the entire day before and of the shows.
    To be loved by a horse, or by any animal, should fill us with awe-
    for we have not deserved it.
    Marion Garretty

Any Mexican rodeo horse is expected to do this every day all day. I do not agree with it, but it's just how it is done.
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Are you talking about forcing the head up in the air so the horse is hanging or jsut tying a horse all day?

My horse is expected to tie to a trailer all day when we go to a horse show without a stall or on a trail ride but they have haynets, water, and freedom with their heads.

Aren't there any laws in your area regarding lack of water = neglect?

I worked at a barn last summer who mainly showed QH's. One morning I came in to feed and found a horse, completely saddled, sweating, and tied to a ring in her stall.

NO access to water, hay, nothing.

She had been this way ALL night and I thought someone may have tied her, forgotten and went home.

Called BO who also happened to be the owner of the horse. NO, it was done because the mare was acting up for the trainer the previous day.

As I'm sure the mare knows why she is still tied at 7:00 AM for something she did yesterday.

I unsaddled her and the first thing she did was urinate. Obviously she was pretty dehydrated as her urine was brown and very little of it.

IMO if this is the trainer's only solution to a problem horse, then obviously she was incompetent and couldn't figure out any other way. I suppose she was trying to save face in front of the BO/Horse owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderluster View Post
    No they don't board here.... none of my boarders would be allowed to stay here for a minute if they deprived their horses' water.
    Horse care widely differs in cultures and disciplines, I am trying to be tolerant and understand how "my sensibilities " are not accepted by everyone.
    FWIW at least I can relax now.
    So, when you said this...
    The two horses next door are tied head up to the top of their overhang. One is wearing a saddle. Neither can drink water.
    ...you did NOT mean that their heads were being deliberately elevated? You meant that they were tied "normally" albeit from a rafter (for containment) and that in the "6 1/2 hours" that you observed them and they were not allowed access to water and their heads were in the normal, relaxed position?

If so, I suppose that yes, there are some horses that are left tied for that long. I personally would never do it, but if not left in the burning sun of the summer a horse can go without water for that long.

But if these horses have their heads tied HIGH, then that is abuse and you need to report it.

Please take a moment to clarify this for us. Thank you.
    Last edited by hitchinmygetalong; Jun. 9, 2009 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Clarification
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Quote Originally Posted by Woodland View Post
    Any Mexican rodeo horse is expected to do this every day all day. I do not agree with it, but it's just how it is done.
    BINGO. I didn't know that it is a common practice, but my neighbor Ron told me that it was a standard breaking method. Who knew

There is NOTHING about such methods that can be described as "training" nor are they "trainers" by any stretch of the term. What they are doing is a forceable method to achieve a result that is only temporary until they do it again. The horses suffer because they are too incompetent, lazy and uncaring to "train" in a proper manner. It IS abuse if they are deprived of water or cannot lower their heads to a comfortable level. Just another disgusting way people use a shortcut to get glory, ribbons or points -- all disciplines have atrocities. I hope it's something you can report and get some good results. God Bless the poor horses!
    PennyG