The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default what's the most ridiculous thing an ex-trainer has "taught" you?

I'll start!

That my right off the track TB with six months of stall rest for a bowed tendon behind him needed to be ridden in a double twisted wire and draw reins (because he is a TB, and "those" are crazy) and giant spurs, (because he is huge and I am tiny). I was like hello! he is going to be my AA hunter and he was like this is how everyone re-starts their OTTBs.

fyi, I have been with new trainer for years and that same "crazy OTTTB" packs me around the AA's with a tom thumb broken rubber pelham!

*as she chain smoked cigarettes* That a monkey could ride that horse better than me.

Sadly, she may have been right!

That it is not about the horses, it is not about the clients. It is always all about her
    Last edited by RockinHorse; Jun. 8, 2009 at 05:57 PM. Reason: typo
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

Not about a trainer I have had, but I was standing with my trainer at the ingate and another trainer told their kid "don't chip or leave long and you will be fine." What great advice hahah.... it has been a joke in my barn for a while

my first lesson w/ my old trainor she said "when posting u should always stand up when the right leg gose forward. no madder which way ur going"

lets just say im rode for 2 1/2 years on the worng diagnol going right! then i got to my new trainor and i didnt no my diagnols!! haha

That there are no problems with any OTTB that a pelham (with no curb rein), standing martingale, draw reins, and an hour of lunging can't fix. (I suppose we should all be grateful in retrospect that it was just a rubber pelham.) Unless it's running out at a fence, in which case the solution is the trainer grabbing the bridle and applying either her boot or her crop to the horse's flank.

I wonder if she ever realized why almost all the kids with her left her at basically the same time.

- to wrap the lunge line around my hand, so that I can gently let it out a little at a time.

So when the brat had a sudden tantrum, my wrapped hand suddenly had two broken fingers.

She immediately became an ex-trainer. And I went back to holding the lunge line the SAFE way.

This wasn't really my trainer, just someone I tried two lessons with bec she came to the barn across the street.

Although the mare will respond to body/weight aids, the Fat Lady says "No, she's not ready for that yet." (Maybe bec she herself couldn't do it?)

Even better; "See=saw with the reins" ---- WHAT????

Why DID I go back for the second lesson? . . . To see if she was not drunk that time??

That green and green equal black and blue.

I'll explain. Old trainer says to me "I have a great horse for you to ride today"...no matter that you have only had 3 lessons and haven't been on a horse since you were 10. GREEN rider

Turns out this "great" horse is a 2 year old paint who just came off the trailer from 2000 miles away and has been under saddle for a short period of time. GREEN horse.

Black and blue: ME! Broke 2 ribs, got a twisted ankle, a huge black eye, and a concussion from that little episode.

That letting a 9 year old rider (with 5 w/t lessons under her belt) jump the 3yr old Arab pony BAREBACK over a road block is perfectly ok? not!
    [I still don't know how I survived with no broken bones in neither me nor the horse]

this is actually kind of true, but it was so funny:

"that's the great thing about hunters. you can ride like a monkey on a football and still win!"
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

i didn't know that hitting the horse in the back of his lower leg tendons with the end of the lunge line would make him buck you off. =]
    Sarah A. Ward

Washington and Lee University Riding

Default Oh the stories I could tell you...

I have been plagued by bad trainers. Not bad.. rather shall we say the worst cases of "clueless" I have ever seen, they make Cher look like Einstein.

Bad trainer numero uno:
    *"It's ok if you need to smack her with your stick over the water jump/trot your lead change/growl or cluck." In the USET/BET Talent Search eq class. In the workoff.

*"It's ok, You're only in here to school anyway." In the Level 5 jumpers. Or the A/Os. Take your pick, that's the line for any of the classes we did. At an A show. (Sorry, I believe that if you're at that level, you should know what you're doing and be going for at least a clear round and riding like you mean it.. which, sadly, I didn't but thought I did. But I will admit it. Trainer won't.)

*"honey, I don't know what's wrong with your horse. Maybe she just doesn't want to jump the jumps anymore. Two years in a row. Even though she's jumping 4'6" like her heart's about to explode with joy and she loves her job." Ohhhh right, this includes a bad vet too because in 3 lameness exams, they couldn't figure out that my mare had a torn collateral ligament in her stifle... Good trainer saw right away that it had nothing to do with my horse's heart/wanting to do her job...

*This is the reason it's taken 4 years of "rehab" to look like I know what I'm doing on a horse and not plant my hands on the withers to every jump (if not pulling BACK), perch on my toe, and give up the ride to a hard distance.

That's not even the HALF of it...

Clueless trainer numero dos:
    *"Even though we haven't jumped higher than 3'6" in your lessons, you should do the A/Os (jumpers) at Aiken."

*"You're a beautiful rider, go jump that vertical... perfect... next!" Uhh... I am NOT perfect to any fence... try again!

And a classic line I overheard the other day at a show from someone:

"You don't have to have the basics to go jump around the lower level jumpers at the show."

I have more but I can't think of them now.....

"We're going to take your horse in the the 2ft baby greens at a local show this weekend. Said about a friends 4yr old horse who had been purchased off the track a WEEK before. Horse didn't even know how to go over ground poles let alone a solid fence.

"He's not trotting, make him trot!" Said while the trainer threw large stones at the horses flank and legs to "make him trot".

"We got three new OTTB as lesson horses." Now I love TB's, but these horses were all under the age of 6, with no off the track training. And she wanted 6 yr olds riding them in the next week or so???

And yes, she is a VERY ex-trainer.
    Theater Majors only: Lead swap, lead swap, wherefore art thou, lead swap?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CraziiPonii

When I was a kid learning to jump and trying to teach my green arab to jump (I agree green + green = bad) I had a trainer trying to help us. We had a really fun tendency to leave out a stride before EVERY jump or jump as fastaswecould. I know now what the problem was - me leaning forward and essentially telling him to take off. But then, she never once mentioned changing my body position. Her "best" solution was to set up a bounce jump and put a pole on the ground in between. Not a one stride in and out, but a true bounce. Umm yep made for some interesting lessons.

I had a horse when I became a re-rider several years ago that showed me what the problem was pretty immediately. If I didn't wait, she didn't go. After several see jump, insert face exercises I got it!

Not a trainer that I had, but I was riding a friend's horse the other week while a local hunter BNT gave a lesson to her client, and trainer said, "Remember, 2 point in your turns! Horses can't do lead changes when you sit!!"

Uh, ok....
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Had a trainer get seriously angry at me for changing my horse's bit without asking her permission (seriously, how DARE I?!?). She berated me for switching my horse into a fat loose-ring french link and told me it was "way too harsh."
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

My first trainer believed that all horses should be ridden on loopey reins. Any sense of contact was "pulling their mouth". If you can't guess she was a bad version of a QH trainer.

Then I moved on to a "dressage"/ "eventing" trainer. You'll understand momentarily why I put those words in quotes. I was taught that you put a horse "on the bit" by wiggling the bit back and forth in the horses mouth. Oh yes, the classic see-saw the head down. I was also taught to ride with almost no contact through the thigh. So essentially I rode on my butt instead of my seat bones, which does not allow the heels to drop correctly so I was almost perpetually behind the motion.

Imagine my surprise when a good trainer got her hands on me and when I could maintain a proper leg contact, my horses miraculously began to seek the bit without any wiggling the head down. *gasp* it's magic

Quote Originally Posted by SidesaddleRider View Post
    Not a trainer that I had, but I was riding a friend's horse the other week while a local hunter BNT gave a lesson to her client, and trainer said, "Remember, 2 point in your turns! Horses can't do lead changes when you sit!!"

Uh, ok....
    Wow, a BNT! Geez, what do they think, I mean really, good thing those Grand Prix dressage riders are all doing 2 point for the tempis!

Overheard at the ingate (not a trainer of mine):

Girl (after having very bad warm-up on very naughty horse): "What should I do if he is bad?"

Trainer: "Kick him! If that doesn't work, pull him!"
    "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
    -H.M.E.

That the correct way to check and see if you're on the correct lead is to see which FOOT was going farther forward, not which shoulder was going farther forward. When several of us switched trainers, the new trainer couldn't for the life of her figure why we were all hanging off the sides of our horses after a fence to see whether or not we were on the correct lead