The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Question about crops and can't find an answer.

Hey guys, I looked in my USDF book and online and I can't find an answer so I though maybe someone will know or know where to find it. I'm thinking about letting my daughter take her pony for the first time to a little schooling show. He is a stubbern pony and sometimes doesn't want to move So I let her use a little crop on the shoulder the other day and (she barley touches him ) she did great with it and so did he. I don't think she is coordinated enough to use a whip or a crop behind the leg so will she get DQ'ed if she barely touches him on the shoulder during an intro A test? Thanks
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

I also couldn't find anything about it in the rules... but at my show yesterday, a young girl on a pony did her intro tests with a crop and I believe she used it on the shoulder. I don't see anything prohibiting that. Hopefully a judge or TD or someone with a thorough understanding of the rules will chime in.

Thanks for trying. I know its not how you should exactly use it but she's trying so hard. Pony is not the easiest in the world to ride and takes a strong rider to make him go and/or go where you want.lol

Nothing specifically about "crop on the shoulder" in either the Dressage rules or the General rules.

The Dressage rules refer to GR839, which specifically says you can't hit the horse on the head, but does not say anything specifically about the shoulder.

So it would be the judge's discretion as to what constituted "excessive" use.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I haven't looked at the rules at all about this, but I vaguely remember some rule about the stick not being used in front of the leg- is that an eventing rule? Or jumpers, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
    I haven't looked at the rules at all about this, but I vaguely remember some rule about the stick not being used in front of the leg- is that an eventing rule? Or jumpers, maybe?
    A-There is an EVENTING rule that says you can use the crop on the shoulder "as an aid", but NOT "as a reprimand". So you can use it on the approach to a jump, but not as punishment after a refusal.

B- There was a rule change proposal to put similar wording in teh General rules, but it failed.
    In non-jumping situations, the distinction between "aid" and "reprimand" is not as clear.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Well there would be no excessive use. She is a little nervous about hitting him to hard. She just turned 8 and barely weighs 50lb and this is a big 14.2 fat strong pony. She just loves him to death, and I think its making her a better rider and a stronger rider because he is NOT push button I'll ask the show manager but I'm willing to bet they'll say its up to the judge. Maybe I can get there early enough to ask the judge. If not I guess she can use it, I doubt they'll call out a little one for barely tapping his shoulder at a small schooling show. But you never know. Thanks guys. At least I know she can use a crop and doesn't have to use a long whip right now.

I would call USEF for clarification about this. They will put you in contact with someone who knows the rules much better than us.

Your talking about a small, schooling show and a tiny person- most likely there will not be any problem, since the show is not recognized. They are schooling shows for a reason. I would check with the organizer and judge, though.

Thanks guys, I'm going to call and ask because I have to call also about her wearing her vest, I'm kindof a freak about her wearing her vest right now So I wanna make sure thats okay because we haven't gotten her a coat yet and it would be over her show shirt. It is black so hopefully they won't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by rabicon View Post
    Thanks guys, I'm going to call and ask because I have to call also about her wearing her vest, I'm kindof a freak about her wearing her vest right now So I wanna make sure thats okay because we haven't gotten her a coat yet and it would be over her show shirt. It is black so hopefully they won't mind.
    USEF rules are VERY CLEAR that she may NOT be penalized for wearing a safety vest.
    Janet

Ohhh thanks Janet. How can you look up the rules online. I went on USDF but can't seem to find them and my book doesn't have them

The rules are on the USEF web site.

Go to www.USEF.org
    click on rules, then rule book, etc.

Or go straight to
    http://www.usef.org/contentpage2.aspx?id=rulebook

You need to check the General Rules as well as the Dressage rules- this one is in the General Rules, but was triggered by an incident at a dressage show.

GR801.4. Any exhibitor may wear protective headgear (ASTM/SEI) and/or a protective safety
    vest,
    specifically designed for use in equestrian sport in any division or class without penalty
    from the judge
    Janet