The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking Thank you Equine-Reproduction!

No, you haven't done anything directly but your website has yet again proven to be sooo useful!

I found answers to my questions and problems with one of my mares in a few clicks along with appropriate references to print-off and give to the vet at the next visit to explain my choice of actions.

We, novice breeders, are extremely lucky to have access to such a wealth of reliable information online!

Thank you for taking the time to write and illustrate these articles.
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

Ditto! Kathy and Jos are DA BOMB!
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Double ditto. I have learned so much from them. My vets learned so much from them, too.

And a third!

Living in an area where equine vets and fancy ultrasound machines are rare and far far away things, I have to be independant. It is the second year I use one of their hormones protocols for cycling, and second pregnancy on first try (fresh) without any previous echos.... I actually now have a better rate me alone on my horses than my repro vet was!! Kidding, she is a great vet too.
    Les Écuries d'Automne, Québec, Canada
    Visit EdA's Facebook page!

I must say that over the years I have heard Kathy St. Martin offer sound advice for us all. In those years I have shipped semen across the country and noticed that 80% of vets doing repro work are committing errors that compromise the rates of conception for mareowners paying for and putting faith in their expertise . I also applaud those of you taking the initiative to know proper procedure and aid your vets by informing them!

Lisa, Synergy Sporthorses
    http://www.hunterjumperstallions.com

Talking Thanks from me too!

Meeeee tooo! Thanks for your posts and advice. I always learn something, even if I'm not asking the question.

*One a sidenote, I rode a Manhattan son the other day! 3 of us went down to Omaha to see how friend's horse was progressing after his first 30 days at the trainer's and second friend is actively looking to buy a horse. Mentioned her horse search, and trainer brought out the Manhattan son for her to try, gorgeous QH cross--very free in the shoulder, good overstep behind, etc. He's only got 60 days, but was a very good boy, even with horses unloading, and commotion.

Of course I had to ride him too!
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Ahhh Shucks...thank you. This time of year, Jos and I are so darn sleep deprived that we begin to really feel sorry for ourselves and wonder why we even bother. So your timing couldn't have been better <tired smile>. It makes it all - well...most of it - worthwhile.

We're on foal watch for our last foal (Davidor x Morticia/Mannhattan) and have three mares in for breeding with frozen semen right now. So, out in the barn checking mares every six hours. We'll post pictures of the colt (yeah...it WILL be a colt <rolling eyes>) when he makes his debut and I've got the COOLEST name for him <LOL>. Is breeding season ALMOST over?????

*One a sidenote, I rode a Manhattan son the other day! 3 of us went down to Omaha to see how friend's horse was progressing after his first 30 days at the trainer's and second friend is actively looking to buy a horse. Mentioned her horse search, and trainer brought out the Manhattan son for her to try, gorgeous QH cross--very free in the shoulder, good overstep behind, etc. He's only got 60 days, but was a very good boy, even with horses unloading, and commotion.

Of course I had to ride him too!
    How cool is that? <lol>. I LOVE the brains of the Mannhattan kids...<smile>.
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

Jumping on the bandwagon here. Between their short course and the Big Repro Bible I got from it (which I reread every year), their website, and Kathy's postings here in response to specific questions, I cannot understate how much I've learned from Kathy and Jos. And it hasn't just benefited my brain -- also my mares, my studs, and my foals.

Big thanks for sharing the knowledge. You guys are a treasured asset, whether you know it or not.
    "And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"

Yes, whether it the plethora of information or the "handholding" (yes, it WILL be okay ) you are a GREAT asset to the horsebreeding community. THANK YOU!!! (and yes, I have another question, see my new thread )

Quote Originally Posted by Equine Reproduction View Post

How cool is that? <lol>. I LOVE the brains of the Mannhattan kids...<smile>.
    I KNOW--SMALL WORLD. I'm rooting for her to get him and bring him back to the barn and then I will get to keep riding him ;-)
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

I agree that they are both great and always have current and helpful information as well as huge generous natures. Like where else can you get such great help and in such an accessible way? I am dying to meet Kathy and to do so is on my "bucket list" (along with meeting Lisa from Synergy Sport Horses). Jos I know but I'd like to see him too if he didn't live so danged far away.They are people and COTH and Equine Reproduction have been great at keeping people informed and connected. Kathy I hope you get some sleep soon. Sad to say I sort of miss the sleepless nights of foaling season and the excited expectations and hopes and dreams. Cheers to Kathy and Jos and many thanks.

I want to add my kudos to the rest. Kathy and Jos are a treasure for those of us breeding, and the knowledge I have gained from you over the years has been invaluable.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

If only they came to Canada for clinics!!

Spike, you and I should at least try to host one!!
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

Yep, Kathy and Jos are awesome and their willingness to help out complete strangers for FREE is amazing! I tease her that she should have a 900-number!! LOL

I am really lucky because I live 100 miles from them and I can't tell you how many times Kathy has helped me out in an emergency, whether problem collecting, processing, mare issues, foal issues, etc.

They have also worked their behinds off to make improvements to their place in Wynnewood. It makes me tired every time I go up to see all the new fencing and other improvements that they have done by themselves.

We love ya, Kathy!!!

Cyn
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

lol EQ.M. this is in our mid-term projects/ideas one of my trakehner breeder friend and I! We'll work on that!! Wanna join up the effort?
    Les Écuries d'Automne, Québec, Canada
    Visit EdA's Facebook page!

As someone who now does all their own AI work with frozen semen, i hve found kathy and jos invaluable too, and so much better than the vets i used to use, who gave me the most appalling pregnancy rates every year, that i simply had to learn to do it all myself if i was to continue using frozen semen.

However i am certainly no expert and value enormously any help i can get from anywhere
    my own vets did not use oxytocin at all, unless a mare had terrible fluid, and then would only use it once

they would also give every mare a post service irrigation of antibiotics and saline, and do a flush even for a small amount of fluid. My view is why add more fluid to fluid when its only a small amount

also they would put semen in long after 6 hours post ovulation, and 6 hours is in my opinion too long anyway

thank god for forums and information sites like this

paulamc

Another big thankyou coming from over here. I'm trying to get my maiden 16yo in foal this year and while she's in the hands of one of the best AI practices in the country they aren't always very good at telling you what is happening. Being able to ask questions and read up about the process on Kathy's website has saved my sanity and stopped me pinning the vets into a corner and insisting they give me answers.

My latest concern was that my mare had "quite bad fluid retention" post insemination. It took 3 days to clear. I was worried whether this was too slow and was going to interfere with the possibilities of the fertilised egg implanting. So off I go to equine reproduction and there, in the first paragraph of the article it says that the egg takes about 5 1/2 days to reach the uterus. Fantastic! Exactly what I wanted to know and also reassuring. Just hope she's got a blob when she's rescanned in 10 days time.

Quote Originally Posted by EquusMagnificus View Post
    If only they came to Canada for clinics!!

Spike, you and I should at least try to host one!!
    I think Kathy you are not only a wealth of information but your are also so very nice and professional. Always there to answer … how can you manage it! Your professional responsibilities, your web site and comments on COTH and I am sure so many other things!

There is an adage who goes like ‘’ If you want something to be done fast , don’t ask one who has time to spare, ask the already too busy one’’ It sure seems to apply to you.

And you can add my name for a clinic in Quebec or Ontario!!!
    Suzanne
    bloomingtonfarm.com
    Breeder of Royal Dutch Sport Horse