The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default French Derby and French Oaks

Exciting renewal of the Prix du Jockey Club (French Derby, G1, 10.5f) at beautiful Chantilly this afternoon. Watch a high quality replay here on youtube (the quality of the video really is amazing), before it gets taken down.
    Last edited by Drvmb1ggl3; Jun. 14, 2009 at 05:11 PM.

Le Havre went one better than his 2nd in the Poule d´Essai des Poulains (French 2000 Guineas) and held off the Madame Marek Head trained Fuisse, with last year's BC Juve Turf runner up, the Aidan O'Brien trained Westphalia in 3rd.

Interestingly bred horse, out of a German bred mare. Good weekend for German dams and damlines, the first two home in the Derby at Epsom yesterday, Sea the Stars and Fame and Glory are from German dam lines that go back to the 1800s.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Drvm, if Pedigree Query is correct, Le Havre is out of a FRENCH dam line that goes back to Barley Corn. So is Fuisse, but not the same French dam line.

Sea the Stars is from a "ancient" German dam line and so is Fame and Glory. Interesting how German bred racing TBs are doing so well lately. It could be that they have lines that are excellent for outbreeding.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

All I can say is wow!
    We may have Zarkava mark II on our hands. Stacelita repeats Zarkava's French Oaks blow out of last year with an absolutely facile win in the Prix de Diane at Chantilly this afternoon. Here is the replay (including post race interview with her very excited groom named "Speedy"), as the announcer says "Quelle De-mon-strat-ion!!, Quelle De-mon-strat-ion!!"

Another German bloodline connection here, as this filly is by Monsun.
    Last edited by Drvmb1ggl3; Jun. 14, 2009 at 05:49 PM.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

JMO, but I think Monsun would be a lovely mate for Rachel Alexandra or Zenyatta.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

US breeders would do well to get some of Monsun's blood over here. Yeah, I know, not fashionable because it isn't speed-oriented. His get can actually run farther than 1 1/8 miles.