The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Has your horse ever shown you "hidden" talents you never knew he/she had?

Among the many horses we have here I have a just 4 year old beatuiful, tall Palomino TBX. We call her "Barbie's horse". I bought her as a wee baby off of a breeder in Texas and all we know about her sire is that he was a buckskin QHX-they bought the TB mare in foal.

The reason they sold her was b/c they raise gaming horses and she came out to "tall". I watched her move on a tad bit of video I requested and bought her on the spot as a Jumper/dressage prospect. She was about 6 months old when she came to my farm. Mom was a registered TB.

So the other day I have turned her out to a new pasture. This pasture shares a fence line with another one that contains, 3 older geldings and a 2 year old Pony gelding whom we just rescued. Cute boy and so into life!!

Well He comes flying over across the pasture to the fence line to say hello to her and she locks her eyes on him, lowers her body and moves just like a cow horse on a cow!! I was shocked. The fence stopped him. She was not agressive and when he stopped she stood up and walked away. I said outloud "Dang, Tuesday (that's her name) I got myself a gaming horse".

I don't even game. Heck if I did I would have to ride her in pink tack, she's that "girly"

I have horses here who were trained for certain things, like my NYPD horses but this was raw talent and she knew exactly what she was doing.

Anyone else had their horse surprise them with their hidden talents?

Bought horse off a 16 year old girl. Broke to ride, but alot of holes in her training. Rode horse off and on over last 5 years. Always mounted from the ground. This year feeling my age and went to use the mounting block. Put the reins across her neck to try to keep her in place while I mounted at a huge leap from mounting block to her. Horse feels rein on her neck and side passes to the block and is practically underneath me to be mounted. This horse is so ADD. So hot to ride, the energizer bunny. I never taught her this. So unlike anything else she does under saddle. And she won't move off until you tell her to. I'll take it and be grateful for it!
    The View from Here

We got a really old horse,the vet thought around 25, from a place that was letting him starve.
    As it turned out, all he needed was his teeth done and the mouth ulcers cleared and he blossomed and turned out to be a very nicely trained horse.

We were keeping him at first by himself in the aisle of the barn, as we were having a blizzard, so we didn't want him out there and didn't want him stuck in a stall either, he needed to be moving around some.

Once he stated to feel good, we found out he could let himself into the main barn and help himself to the hay stack.

We had to lock that door and just in case, hide the key, as I am sure he would have use it, if he had found it.

I had never seen a horse that could open doors with round door knobs.

He is 32 now and still going strong with the family that we placed him with, as a companion to their also very old horse.
    They use them occassionally for their little grandkids and their friends leadline pony rides and know not to leave him where he can open doors, or they may have a four legged visitor just drop in their kitchen unannounced some day.

I'm halfway convinced that if Quattro could pick his career, he'd prefer to be a barrel horse! His favorite thing to do when turned out in the indoor is to "hide" in the box, then break out at a full-on gallop and do big figure 8s of the whole arena. And he looks to be a good bit faster than a lot of the REAL barrel prospects on the property.

BTW: It's not by any means unheard of for a Saddlebred to be quite successful in that discipline. This one has been kickin' bleep and takin' names in MN for a few years now.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

My gosh War Admiral. Wow what a horse. I have a 17.1 hand TB who still at 18 was doing gaming and his best event? Pole bending. He would clean up at events. He also did barrels etc and would shock the heck out of all of those QH horse people. In addition to being a 5' jumper he is also a great WP horse as well. An all around kind of guy.

I am sure if you put him back on the racetrack he'll give his heart to try to win again. He's 21 now and he still things he's a youngster. My daughter is riding him now and training for the 2010 Maclays with him. Who knew from a rescue I bought 11 years ago for $2,000.00

Two years ago I bought a 17-year-old horse who had been through a couple of owners over the last 6 years. One day, when doing some in-hand work, I found out that he knows how to bow and how to "count."
    None of the previous owners knew that he had this in his bag of tricks. Someone taught it to him before age 11, and he never forgot.
    He doesn't particularly like to bow, since it involves kneeling all the way down on the ground, but he will count pretty happily as lond as I point a whip at his leg.
    Amateur rider, professional braider.
    ----
    Save a life, adopt a pet.

Yes. Scratching her ear with a hind foot, while I'm on her back....

My first horse was an appaloosa cross. He was a palomino, and English to the bone. He also reared, I was young and dumb in college, and I tried to cure this my doubling. He actually took to this and would spin, I thought this was normal.

I had a reining rider get on him once, and he put out the most beautiful spin in either direction. He was not professionally trained but was so talented! From him I got a love of reining but alas, I'm surrounded by thoroughbreds so someday ill try it!

We had a good laugh when my ex-dressage horse (low level lesson horse, who also did some low youth jumper stuff long before I ever met her) showed a talent we never knew about. We were playing some mounted games in winter, and set up a row of barrels for very amateur "pole bending". We oldsters were practicing trotting through the barrels, paying attention to bending and yielding to get nice even curves. My DH trotted my old ex-dressage horse down through the barrels, turned around the last one, and that mare picked up a canter and did perfect two-tempi flying changes through the course all the way home! And trust me, DH had no idea how to ask for them - he was a complete passenger on that run! I wish I'd had the video camera!

[QUOTE=classicsporthorses;4148627]I would have to ride her in pink tack, she's that "girly"

[QUOTE]

Don't do it. The only colors that can get away with wearing pink are blacks or gray. Anything with red undertones pink is not flattering.

My son got a new horse to ride last summer and took her to a show and won some ribbons. He was so proud he strung the ribbons up on the horse's stall door. The next day, his old pony got out of her stall and went over and ripped every ribbon to shreds. Then she used the dauber on a plastic bottle of Blue Kote to smear bluing all over the new horse's stall door. She tried to look innocent when we went up to the barn, but she had big purple lips.

Well, mine decided to demonstrate that he could in fact jump a 5'6" fence in snow.

Unfortuantely that was the corral fence and we ended up chasing him on foot for more than a mile. (He could also run for a long time.)

I basically rescued this cute little palomino QH gelding once to rehome and went out to the paddock the next day to see him seriously "cutting" our minature pony, I mean he was down on his forehand and faceing him, staying totally glued to him. I was amazed. I guess thats what they mean when they say a horse is "cowy"?
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

[QUOTE=5;4149136][QUOTE=classicsporthorses;4148627]I would have to ride her in pink tack, she's that "girly"

Don't do it. The only colors that can get away with wearing pink are blacks or gray. Anything with red undertones pink is not flattering.
    Pffft. My blood bay OTTB mare has always a pink halter, AND pink and green saddlepads. She looks fabulous in them.

Pink is good. Ask Laurierace. Or Rachel Alexandra (also of the pink halter).

My TWH pony seems to want to be a reiner-
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/trailpo...23152/sizes/l/

By TWH standards and barefoot, that's not half bad.

Also, pink goes with everything. So do sparklies. Anyone who denies this true fact is in denial and/or jealous of all my pink sparkly tack.

I used to use my old hanoverian mare for turn back. She was a little slow on the turns but managed to get the job done. I think I could have used her for a header horse, she was that strong. But again, not so quick off her feet out of the gate. She REALLY did like working cows, though!

Breaking and entering. Gate latches, stall doors, you name it.. If there isn't a carabiner or something else to secure the latch my OTTB will open it. She even figured out how to open the sliding barn door.
    Power and grace
    A beauty sublime
    Thus is the nature
    Of this creature Equine

I once leased a mare who re-taught ME how to open gates. The first time we got to one I hesitated because it had been years since I'd gone through one and was trying to remember the mechanics. She just marched up and put herself in the right spot, shoved it open with her chest as soon as it was unlatched and swung around so I could close it again!
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."