The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default So I'm mixed up craziness, and momma/daughter stuff... pictures... and more pictures.

Hope it's okay to discuss here...

My daughter is 10, and her and I have been going out on paper chases (a.k.a. hunter paces) here and there, and we love it...

The funny part, however, is that I have a Tenessee Walker - not your typical hunter horse that's ridden English, huh? but it's soooo fun!

I'm sharing some pictures, but I just had a realization today... I have 2 more years of this, and then my daughter is going to be able to do this with her friends with the parents... and she's goign to kick me to the curb, I know it! I'll have no partner anymore... it's so sad to think about!

So I'm cherishing these moments... this is also the first time I realized that she looks quite a bit like me...

[img] http://www.jodieotte.com/blog/0609/paper_chase_1.jpg [/img]

http://www.jodieotte.com/blog/0609/paper_chase_2.jpg

http://www.jodieotte.com/blog/0609/paper_chase_3.jpg

http://www.jodieotte.com/blog/0609/paper_chase_4.jpg

http://www.jodieotte.com/blog/0609/paper_chase_5.jpg

http://www.jodieotte.com/blog/0609/paper_chase_6.jpg

Beautiful! That looks like a lovely day and a wonderful ride.

Love the pictures! What a fun way for mom and daughter to spend time together --- everyone (horses included) appear to be having a blast!

Quote Originally Posted by jophoto View Post
    I'm sharing some pictures, but I just had a realization today... I have 2 more years of this, and then my daughter is going to be able to do this with her friends with the parents... and she's goign to kick me to the curb, I know it! I'll have no partner anymore... it's so sad to think about!
    Enjoy the time with your daughter, you'll always have this as part of your relationship. But start building friendships with other riding adults now, maybe even the parents of some of her riding friends. That way when your daughter goes off with her friends you'll have your own group.

No reason for you not to have a riding partner.

Quote Originally Posted by mswillie View Post
    Enjoy the time with your daughter, you'll always have this as part of your relationship. But start building friendships with other riding adults now, maybe even the parents of some of her riding friends. That way when your daughter goes off with her friends you'll have your own group.

No reason for you not to have a riding partner.

I told my husband, we better get him a horse, because he will have to come with me.. He looked down at my breeches and said, "I ain't wearing them...." (he's a football player guy - him in breeches would be the funniest thing I ever saw!)

Lovely pictures!

I agree with the poster up-thread. Start making some adult riding friends, I'll bet you'll find plenty who you can ride with someday. As a single adult rider, I would love to have someone to go to hunter paces with in my area.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Aww, those are adorable pictures.

Riding friends would be good. But, if it makes you feel any better...I am almost 19 and I really value the time my mom and I spend together with our horses. I ride with her more than I ride with anyone else. May not apply to kids who go out-of-state for college, though

Looks like a fantastic time, and what a beautiful day.

You guys look awesome together! I love photo #5!
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Beautiful photos! It is truly special to be able to do these things with your daughter. I have two years left with mine before she goes off to college. I will really miss her!! But I have a sister who rides and is chomping at the bit waiting for her turn!! I am sure you will be able to find another adult who would enjoy going with you later on. Do enjoy the time now as it goes by faster and faster....

I would cherish those pictures too. And I hope your daughter will, as well.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

What a great day and wonderful pictures!!

But never fear, you won't lose your riding partner for long...I am 21 and ditched my friends (and a horse show!) to go trail riding with my mom because I really enjoy spending time with her! So she might want to ride with her friends every now and then, but I don't think you'll get sidelined forever
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

awwwwww!!! Hearing from you two that are 21 and 19 and knowing you still love to ride with mom, just warms my heart! When I was your ages, I was married and having my firstborn and starting a business - so maybe that is why I am panicking so bad because I wasn't as close to my mom...

Thank you for sharing that!

I'm sorry; you do not look old enough to be the mother of this child. Especially in this photo:

Wonderful photos, all of them!
    Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
    "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

Quote Originally Posted by Risk-Averse Rider View Post
    I'm sorry; you do not look old enough to be the mother of this child. Especially in this photo:

Wonderful photos, all of them!
    LOL --- I'm 33, my husband is 41, been married 14 years, and we have two kids, one is almost 13 and the other is 10... I have the "you look too young" issue a lot especially being that I am a photographer who works with brand new babies 95% of the time - I always get the eyeball from the parents - it gets very crazy because most of the time, I am older than the parents that are giving me that eyeball!

The worst time for me with that was after I was married, we decided to have children right away (my stepdaughter is 20 years old, so we knew there would be a gap between ours and his daughter). When I was pregnant, I got the nasty whispers and stuff like that... well, looking back, holey moley, I looked like a 12-year-old pregnant! I still get the comments that my son and I are siblings since my son is almost 5 inches taller than me - he's 5 feet, 8 inches at almost 13 and projected to be at least 6 feet, 3 inches...

(he's a football player guy - him in breeches would be the funniest thing I ever saw!)
    I don't understand how they can wear those tight little pants, but can't comprehend our tight little pants...

Wonderful pictures! What a fantastic day that must have been.

Kim
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

Default Thank you for sharing!

From the first picture (the one of the two of you) and through all of the pictures, they made me smile ear to ear.

Fabulous photos but it's what the photos captured that is still making me smile. It's clear you are thoroughly enjoying this time with your daughter and the horses.

I remember the days......it use to be me and my two daughters. Riding and lesson and shows and everything that comes with owning horses.....and we were always together. Ah, I loved it so much.

My oldest doesn't ride any longer and in her first year of college and my youngest is just about to graduate high school and is busy too. I miss those days.

Again, thanks for sharing. That was really nice to see.

Lovely pictures, thank you for sharing! I have just started doing a lot of riding with my daughter and was thinking the same thing, how awful it is going to be when she turns into a teenager and doesn't want anything to do with me!