The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Eric Smiley in Maryland

I just wanted to let everyone know that there are a few openings left to ride with Eric Smiley on Tuesday and Wednesday (Jun 9-10) in Upper Marlboro, MD. The clinic is USEA Sponsored and hosted by Marlborough Pony Club and Marlborough Horse Trials. It's a great deal, two days of riding and an evening seminar and social for $375 ($350 for MCTA, USPC and USEA members). More info is available at www.marlboroughhorse.org. I will be at a horse trial today but checking e-mails throughout the day. Please contact me (info on the flyer on the website) if you have questions. Stabling on site and large indoor arena in case of rain. Have a great weekend!

Donna B

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Notebook View Post
    I just wanted to let everyone know that there are a few openings left to ride with Eric Smiley on Tuesday and Wednesday (Jun 9-10) in Upper Marlboro, MD. The clinic is USEA Sponsored and hosted by Marlborough Pony Club and Marlborough Horse Trials. It's a great deal, two days of riding and an evening seminar and social for $375 ($350 for MCTA, USPC and USEA members). More info is available at www.marlboroughhorse.org. I will be at a horse trial today but checking e-mails throughout the day. Please contact me (info on the flyer on the website) if you have questions. Stabling on site and large indoor arena in case of rain. Have a great weekend!

Donna B
    Wow... I would LOVE to ride in this clinic, but just can't swing it with work at the moment. I'm really surprised that it didnt fill up immediately! I have heard nothing but great things about Eric as a clinician, and his credentials are spotless. I was greatly impressed by his comments at the National Meeting in Colorado as well. What a classy guy, and just what this sport needs right now.

I would encourage anyone who can swing it to go! Oh, I've also seen the food offerings for the evening get-together, and all I can say is ... YUM!!!
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." ~ Mark Twain

Eric just finished a clinic in Utah. He is an excellent clinician, and explains concepts so they make sense and will be remembered. If you are anywhere near, I encourage you to "jump" at the chance to ride with him.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbutnotdead View Post
    Eric just finished a clinic in Utah. He is an excellent clinician, and explains concepts so they make sense and will be remembered. If you are anywhere near, I encourage you to "jump" at the chance to ride with him.

One more day to contact Silver Notebook and grab the chance at this clinic!!

I just hope they can break even on the expenses so they bring him back again next year and I can plan ahead better...
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." ~ Mark Twain

Seize those open spots!

Why you want to take a clinic from Eric:

1. He explains things so they make sense.
    2. He gives you the tools to improve your skills and those of your horse.
    3. He has a variety of exercises which build upon each other towards success.
    4. The exercises are suitable for various levels so riders and horses are not overwhelmed or underwhelmed.
    5 While giving you the tools, and the reasons for doing things, he challenges you to make correct decisions.
    6. Each rider and horse receive quality, individual attention.
    7. He honestly and fairly, without malice or denigration, assesses your performance and that of your horse.
    8. He is encouraging, and encourages you to do your best -- every single time, every single stride.
    9. He believes good horses come in all shapes, sizes, and breeds.
    10. He can teach, and teach well, children, young riders, adult amateurs, professionals, and the geometrically impaired, slower learner but eager rider (me).
    11. He is as enthusiastic at the end of the day as he was at the beginning of the day.
    12. He has a great sense of humor.
    13. He believes in education.
    14. He believes in our sport.
    15. He believes in riders and, especially, in horses.

Trisha

Thumbs up Flexible options for clinic

We really need to fill this clinic.... I am willing to offer one-day slots for folks who cannot commit time and $$ to both days. Cost for one day without reception would be $125 and with reception $150. Please don't let this wonderful opportunity pass you by!

Donna B

So will you please tell Eric hello, and thanks again, from the Utah contingent?

I'll be happy to tell him hello for you. Picked him up from the airport and we took him to dinner. What a fabulous person. I really enjoy his wit and wisdom!

Wow! Eric is an amazing clinician. I had a couple of die-hard Lucinda fans there and they loved him also saying his principles were very close to hers. He is unique to be sure and finds good and challenging things to work on for all levels of riding (we had BN thru Intermed riders). The reception at Mt Airy Mansion was just first-rate. Everyone had time to socialize and chat with him (great food, wine, sodas and atmosphere too) and then he gave a talk about how he got started with pony club and foxhunting all the way to **** eventing and officiating at Badminton this year. He tied it all neatly into safety and rider responsibility and improving at the levels before moving up. He took many questions and no one wanted to leave! It was really a great two days and I'm sad it is over now. We will have him back and hope many more folks will join us next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Notebook View Post
    Wow! Eric is an amazing clinician. I had a couple of die-hard Lucinda fans there and they loved him also saying his principles were very close to hers. He is unique to be sure and finds good and challenging things to work on for all levels of riding (we had BN thru Intermed riders). The reception at Mt Airy Mansion was just first-rate. Everyone had time to socialize and chat with him (great food, wine, sodas and atmosphere too) and then he gave a talk about how he got started with pony club and foxhunting all the way to **** eventing and officiating at Badminton this year. He tied it all neatly into safety and rider responsibility and improving at the levels before moving up. He took many questions and no one wanted to leave! It was really a great two days and I'm sad it is over now. We will have him back and hope many more folks will join us next time.
    Thanks for the report, SN! It sounds like the lucky few had a really great time. I will look forward to you getting him back next year!

Default eric smiley search!

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread! I did an Eric search because I'm taking my pony to ride in a clinic with him next week and now I'm even more excited than I was when I heard it had space!

I'm especially glad to hear he's open to all shapes, breeds and sizes...since the pony is, well, a pony!, and an ArabX.

Also glad to hear he appeals to die hard Lucinda fans - of whom I am one!

I didn't think we would necessarily qualify, since he is a greenie who just did his first two BN this fall. But we did and I can't wait! Oh, but I'm nervous too. Any particular advice? On prep, attire, tips...etc...is welcome!

Pony's first clinic! YAY!