The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Bombproof horses, what scares them

I didn't want to hijack the other thread, so I thought I'd start this one.

I have a "bombproof" paint that is my husbands horse. Nothing scares him (or so I thought.....) You can walk him on, over, through anything and he doesn't bat an eye.....

One day a woman came into the arena with a mini. He thought he was going to die, He spun around, took off pulled me over and down and was gone before I even knew what had happened.....Of course I wasn't expecting anything of the sort from him and wasn't paying attention.....

So for the next few weeks we'd go walk by the mini pen every day.... I don't think he ever really trusted them......

What scares your "bombproof" horse?

lol! The first time mine saw a mini he definitely was concerned.

These days, the only thing that really causes him to take leave of his senses is a cow. He hates them and I think he always will. He is irrationally afraid of them for some reason.

Turtles.

Don't ask.

Gunnar was pretty bombproof but he too was scared of Minies!
    Steph

http://community.webshots.com/user/stephanne014

Rerider/Haydunker Clique

RIP Barbaro, you were my hero!

Horses pulling carts. Aaagh, they're being attacked!

Gunnar saw a mini pulling a cart!
    Steph

http://community.webshots.com/user/stephanne014

Rerider/Haydunker Clique

RIP Barbaro, you were my hero!

The things that occasionally spook my 99% bombproof horse:

A man hiding behind a hedgerow standing up and starting up a chain saw just as we passed him.

My other mare getting up on her tail and then doing a huge "back off you SOB" snort at a nearby gelding. We think the other mare plans those moments in advance, just for giggles!

When I first got her, sticks or branches on the ground. Even small ones. She's gotten over that.

When I first got her, sliding barn and arena doors being opened or shut. Wah! She's gotten over that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Turtles.

Don't ask.
    I think I'd be scared too if rocks started lurching around.

Today I saw my unflappable horse bug his eyes out at a cat trap that I left close to the fence line in the woods.

Lines on the road.

Pieces of pavement where they're not supposed to be.
    Potbellied pigs.
    Manhole covers and stormdrains.
    Cross country fences of all shapes and sizes as long as we're walking by them. If we're galloping towards them with the clear intent to jump? Won't bat an eye and will jump through rings of fire without a moment's hesitation. But walking near simple piles of logs? Terrifying.

Well, I know the FIRST time my QH saw chickens he was perturbed. And the first time he smelled hogs he wasn'y quite as sanguine as I would have liked. But only the FIRST times, after that he was 100% fine.
    Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Chain saws, tractors, excacators, chickens, dogs, cats, what-have-you ... even my Mustang is cool with it all EXCEPT ... kids on sleds. Kids on sleds sliding down the side yard (grandchildren) towards the paddocks? OMG ... you would think they were lions in drag!!! But, a few days of sledding and they were fine with it. *GRIN*
    --Gwen <><
    "Treat others as you want to be treated and be the change you want to see in the world."
    http://www.thepenzancehorse.com

Thats so funny! I took my mare to a horse festival last year. She was the "spokeshorse" for the arabian breed. All day long she saw everything that a horse could possibly see. Screaming kids, strollers, big scary jackets, buffalo, guns...really you name it. She did GREAT.....until she saw the mini donkeys. She thought she was going to DIE! It was truly the funniest thing Ive ever seen. These mini donkeys werent much bigger than a large dog, cute as heck too. I guess they know they arent supposed to be that small?!?

My TB that I grew up on wasnt scared of anything, except paint lines on the road. He wouldnt go anywhere near them. And, if GOD forbid we had to cross them, he jumped them like they were on fire. Horses are so strange!
    "A horse is an Angel without wings"

I wouldn't call my horse bombproof yet, but he is very concerned about the color blue. Anyone else get that? I've met one other horse owner who has a mare that doesn't like blue either.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Turtles.

Don't ask.
    OK, but now I have to ask!

I can see it though, if a turtle started coming after me, I'd be frightened too!

Quote Originally Posted by sunny59 View Post
    I didn't want to hijack the other thread, so I thought I'd start this one.

I have a "bombproof" paint that is my husbands horse. Nothing scares him (or so I thought.....) You can walk him on, over, through anything and he doesn't bat an eye.....

One day a woman came into the arena with a mini. [...]

What scares your "bombproof" horse?
    LOL... when I read the thread title that's *exactly* what came to mind. Patrick is 16.2 and does not think anything that could walk underneath him and yet still smells like a horse can possibly be trusted. But he's not necessarily afraid of them, he seems to want to stomp them flat.

But when they hitch up the pony cart? Then he thinks he's going to die.

Currently he's living next to an Appaloosa mini horse and seems to be getting over it. Especially when Chance shares his hay.

--
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar View Post
    Gunnar saw a mini pulling a cart!

OMG, that would have killed mine....

What is it about minis? Dogs, goats, sheep, pigs, turkeys, cows....all OK, but those minis......

My bombproof pony was terrified of men wearing baseball hats. Just men, and just baseball hats. Women w/baseball hats were fine. Men were fine after removing their hats. Someone was obviously very mean to her while wearing a hat.

Water fowl, especially geese. But only if the footing was good. If there's ice underfoot, the ducks suddenly aren't as scarey as slipping is!

Quote Originally Posted by Ritazza View Post
    Pieces of pavement where they're not supposed to be.
    Potbellied pigs.
    Manhole covers and stormdrains.
    Cross country fences of all shapes and sizes as long as we're walking by them. If we're galloping towards them with the clear intent to jump? Won't bat an eye and will jump through rings of fire without a moment's hesitation. But walking near simple piles of logs? Terrifying.
    My guy hates these too. He checks them out whenever we walk by one.

He will get leery of garden hoses on the ground that he has to walk over. He is totally fine with one in a wash rack but if we cross one walking around the stable he is very cautious of it. Maybe he thinks it's a big snake?

He also hates it when one of the jumping arena has been cleared of jumps. They remove the jumps whenever there is a show, which is usually once a month, and seeing the arena completely jump-free gets him every time.

He also hates when we go by standards that are piled together. I guess he doesn't realize that he jumps through them all the time, but when they are piled together without jumps set it's totally scary.