The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Welsh Pony Stallions Gold Hills Most Wanted and Rocko's Gold

Does any one have any experience with either one of these stallions?

My friend and I have a pony mare that we were thinking of breeding. Originally we were thinking of breeding her to Rocko's Gold very cute well mannered and a great jumper. I have actually seen this pony, and really like him.

Another friend has a breeding to Gold Hills Most Wanted, her mare cannot be bred this year. So she was possibly wanting to give(sell) her breeding to us.

I know TMI.

Could some one give us any information on either of these stallions?

We would be hoping for a hunter type in the foal.

Thanks

Being here on the west coast, we've had the opportunity to watch Goldhills Most Wanted grow up. He's usually in our class, now that he's a "grown up boy"! I even showed him once as a foal.

He's a lovely pony, excellent mover and has a really nice temperament. Of the two, he would be my choice.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

If you want hunter type I would probably go with GMW.

I havent seen GMW, but I have showed against Rocco's Gold in a 3'0-3'3 Jumper warm up at Pebble Beach and he was amazing! I LOVE that pony- He's got is all. Stride, scope, jump, conformation, temperment. He made the horse strides in the combination, easily!!!! Amazing for a med. pony. If he was 16.3, I'd have sold the farm to buy him. He was standing outside of the ring wiating to go in and even though he was quite young, and a stud, he was calmer than most hunters, and every horse at that ring. If I bred ponies I'd go to him, and that cute welsh palomino- Mardi gras something. I know his owner posts here and he's quite nice conformationally, though I haven't seen him under saddle.
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...now where did I put those marbles...
    Secretary, WTF Registry

Oh, I see she posted right above me...
    Not quite observent today, I guess
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...now where did I put those marbles...
    Secretary, WTF Registry

Quote Originally Posted by Mythology View Post
    He was standing outside of the ring wiating to go in and even though he was quite young, and a stud, he was calmer than most hunters, and every horse at that ring.
    That's pretty much the norm for the Welsh stallions showing on the west coast (with one nasty exception). They are all very well mannered, and you'd never know any of them were stallions outside of the ring (though do expect to see them "puff up" for the halter ring!). It's pretty much expected and normal.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com

I would definitely go with GMW or Mardi or possibly Gayfields Call the Cops---have seen all four including Rocko. I would also be sure the GMW breeding is transferable.

If you are looking on the West Coast, check out *Telynau Royal Charter. I personally showed him in the hunters at the Welsh shows and won a ton. I have had 4 of his babies and they are all top movers, jumpers and very quiet. Three have been USEF zone champions on the line. His babies have topped the Pony Finals Auction, done fabulously at Devon and even been a Tampa Circuit Champion. I just sold my nicest one to a hunter barn in South Carolina. There pics are on my website below. His website is www.farmorefarms.com!

Thank you for your replies to my original post.

I guess the one of the things I need to know is does Gold hIlls MOst Wanted Jump ? I have yet to have found a picture of him jumping.

I have also seen the other pony at pebble Beach in the jumpers and was quite impressed.

I have not seen him jump. I know his full brother, Goldhills Maverick, jumps. www.sterlingcreekwelsh.com

both "maverick" and "most wanted" are by cops:
    http://www.goldhillswelsh.com/cops.html

Quote Originally Posted by SEP View Post
    Thank you for your replies to my original post.

I guess the one of the things I need to know is does Gold hIlls MOst Wanted Jump ? I have yet to have found a picture of him jumping.
    Most Wanted is just 6 years old this year. He has not been shown jumping as of this time. He regularly competes in three full performance divisions at the Welsh shows (English Pleasure, Pleasure Driving and Carriage Driving), which is a lot for a young pony. Lots of us "Welsh people" don't push our youngsters into hunters -- and Mo's owner is no exception.

I'm not a Welsh person, but I'm learning more and more about the welsh's-one of my clients has 3 and we do the welsh shows on the west coast. Their youngest is a Charter baby who I think is just fantastic-he's just under 13.1 at 5, has a great mind, movement to die for and can JUMP. he also looks like a miniature modern-type Warmblood. We free-jumped him yesterday, he did 3'6" easily...here's a pic of him pulled off one of the videos. http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._5192419_n.jpg

That said, I was very impressed with Mardi Gras when I saw him in person as well.

Tammy forwarded me those photos....and I was drooling!! Check out these two I sold as they jump just as well: http://bluehillfarmllc.com/ponies.html

GMW would be my pick. He is a lovely stallion in every way.
    Unbridled Oaks - Champion Sport Ponies and Welsh Cobs

Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/unbridledoaks

What is your mare?? Welsh or other, size and if she has had a foal??? All of those should factor into your stallion choice. Sounds like you are breeding for the hunter ring....That factors into.
    Gates Equestrian
    National Champion Dan Patch sire of USEF/USHJA winning ponies!
    [url]www.gateseqsmfponies.webs.com/

Quote Originally Posted by showponies View Post
    What is your mare?? Welsh or other, size and if she has had a foal??? All of those should factor into your stallion choice. Sounds like you are breeding for the hunter ring....That factors into.
    I agree that these are very important factors in deciding what you would like of the resulting foal. Size especially, if you are looking to breed for hunters. Are there some things that you would like to improve on your mare, and if so, which stallion has those qualities? Also, are you wanting to breed for color or is it a coincidence that you have chosen these two?

I have not seen either pony in person. Since both are younger stallions (RG is actually 9 or 10 I think?), I would look to the pedigree and their own accomplishments for some answers to your questions. My personal choice out of the two for my mares, for what it is worth, would be Goldhills Most Wanted. Sleight of Hand (his grandsire) has produced some really fabulous ponies, and I am sure that it could be argued that Gayfield's Call the Cops, GMW's sire, is one of his best. He has won countless awards in a wide variety of different areas. More importantly, he, like his sire, seem to be able to pass along their versatility and quality. Goldhills Most Wanted seems to be a good example of that, and although he is young, the babies I have seen on their site look a lot like him. I would talk to his owner's about his jumping ability. Perhaps they have some video of him free jumping that they could show you. That would also give you the opportunity to ask them about a transfer of the breeding to your mare.
    I am sure someone can argue for Rocko's Gold's pedigree too but I personally like GMW better as an individual from what I have seen in photos/video.
    Just my opinion, but I hope it helps.

Good luck and happy boyfriend hunting!!
    Last edited by Summerwood; Jun. 6, 2009 at 10:55 PM. Reason: addition

It's not clear for what purpose you are breeding. Is the foal destined to be shown as a hunter pony, dressage pony, at breed shows or what?

If it is to be a hunter pony, go with a proven sire. Telynau Royal Charter has proven himself at larger forums than just Welsh Shows....to name a few: Devon, Pony Finals, A and AA shows all over the country; Call the Cops has a well known medium named Macy Grey that has been extremely successful in the hunter ring; Pony hunter sires must rely on their progeny to "prove" their success as the divisions are limited to children in most zones and for the most part children are not permitted to show stallions at the rated shows; Both stallions have athletic jumps and suffiecient type to stamp a foal with their particular look, movement and athleticism.

Rocco's Gold is obviously athletic and scopey enough to compete in jumpers with the horses. I don't think he's a hunter mover but has some progeny competing in dressage and probably jumpers (I think); If he has hunter pony progeny out there competing successfully,then I stand corrected as I'm not that familiar with him only his accomplishments. His accomplishments are quite impressive for his size.

The others, Most Wanted, Mardi Gras have yet to produce hunter ponies that are taking the hunter scene by storm. Most Wanted is fairly young, I think so not sure how old his oldest get are yet....probably not old enough to be hunters yet (he is by Call the Cops who has produced hunter ponies). Mardi has been breeding longer, I think but I'm not aware of any hunter progeny yet. They certainly could be potential superstars in the works but none come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Pint Sized Pony View Post
    The others, Most Wanted, Mardi Gras have yet to produce hunter ponies that are taking the hunter scene by storm. Most Wanted is fairly young, I think so not sure how old his oldest get are yet....probably not old enough to be hunters yet (he is by Call the Cops who has produced hunter ponies). Mardi has been breeding longer, I think but I'm not aware of any hunter progeny yet. They certainly could be potential superstars in the works but none come to mind.
    Most Wanted's oldest foals are 3 this year.

Mardi's oldest foal crop is 4 this year. (though he ws not the subject of the OP's thread!)

Obviously the older stallions in their teens are going to have a lot more offspring out there competing in the various venues. The "youngsters" still are waiting for some of their best progeny to grow up!

What also isn't clear is what size pony the op is attempting to breed. If op's mare is a horse or large hony, then obviously a smaller stallion would be better as all the stallions referenced above are 13+ hands.

Golden Pony, my point exactly; The two palomino ponies, yours: Wedderlie Mardi Gras and GMW (mentioned by other posters) in this thread are unproven in the hunter arena. Hunter breeding divisions have been available to their progeny over the last few years. We will all be watching closely to see what both boys send out into hunter world in the next couple of years. Mardi's babies should start debuting in the performance ring this year (guessing we'll see them in under saddle classes in 2009 at a minimum). Proof will be in the progeny.