The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Make a cat lie down

I wonder if this is along the same lines as putting a t-shirt on a dog during a thunderstorm..

My husband and I have discovered and tested this on all of our cats over the years... if you take a tube sock and tie it in a knot around their waist.. they will often fall over! Simply get wobbly and sink down, not moving. Not all have done it so dramaticly, but a couple have and it's hysterically funny! The sock isn't tight, just snug. When removed, they stand up like nothing happened.

I will keep it in mind if I get trapped at the zoo in a lion cage.

Will those of you with cats give it a try and see if it works on the majority of cats or just the odd ones?

hahahaha... worked on both of my cats! They flopped to the floor.

( i used panty hose.. I didn't have a tube sock)

OMG, my sister and I used to do this to our cats when we were kids. Ace bandages were
    our weapons of choice. They didn't seem to particulaly mind. We'd laugh ourselves silly, take off their wrap and the cats would just stroll off like nothing. Now why they do it, hmmm, that's a kitty mystery!
    Lilykoi

Hell hath no fury like the chestnut thoroughbred mare

You mean I have been teaching my cats to lie down the hard way for years?? Most, including the barn cats will, at the least, sit on command, a few will lie down on command as well.....however, stay isn't in their repertoire of tricks.

I value my fingers too much to try it on the old man, but.......hmmmmmmm MUST try that on Her Royal Noisiness...
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Now really. What point is there to this? Just cat torture... or humiliation. Or... something.

Damn, I have NO IDEA where my tube socks are...<mutters, looking for something suitable to torture the mafia kitty with... >

InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Muhahahahah.....(evil laugh)

on a search for a tube sock right now.....
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

And the point of this is what???

Ours did this when we tried to teach them to walk on a harness and leash. Flop. Oh well. Cats are pretty amusing.

Yup, anything around a cat's body seems to de-activate them.
    They do it with harnesses a lot too.
    Another funny is when they get scotch take stuck to a paw...kinda looks like the first time you put shipping boots or wraps on a horse.
    And a fave way to entertain both cat and human is to put a ping-pong ball and the cat in the bathtub. Neither cat nor ball ever stop moving.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

And now I know what I"m doing with the cats and my SO's trowser socks this weekend....here kitty kitty kitty

Done the sock thing. Cats gave me the evil eye. You can also do it with a kitchen towel if no tube socks are handy. Just sayin.

The funniest thing is when they get tape or a post it note stuck to the underside of their paws. I keep telling them I don't need help wrapping Christmas presents or paying bills - but noooo - you can't tell a cat anything!

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Yup, anything around a cat's body seems to de-activate them.
    They do it with harnesses a lot too.
    Another funny is when they get scotch take stuck to a paw...kinda looks like the first time you put shipping boots or wraps on a horse.
    And a fave way to entertain both cat and human is to put a ping-pong ball and the cat in the bathtub. Neither cat nor ball ever stop moving.

The old kleenex-taped-to-the-end-of-their-tail is always good for rainy day amusement as well!

Okay, so what I want to know is why you put a t-shirt on your dog during a thunderstorm ?
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I'm glad I've finished my coffee or it would be all over the screen!

Anyone do this in order to chill out kitty to apply Flea stuff? You would think I was putting on acid the way my two house cats react when they see me coming. I have to have Mr. C'mare hold them tight to avoid the freak out.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Quote Originally Posted by tabula rashah View Post
    Okay, so what I want to know is why you put a t-shirt on your dog during a thunderstorm ?
    There was another thread where people said they'd found it calmed the dog, and some research or articles they'd found of people who use "wrapping" to calm animals. Something about the snugness makes them feel safe. Maybe like a hug?

Quote Originally Posted by TrueColours View Post
    The old kleenex-taped-to-the-end-of-their-tail is always good for rainy day amusement as well!

Tube sock ..... check
    Tape ..... check
    Kleenex ..... check

Here, kitty, kitty, kitty! (It's been raining - A LOT!)

Wonder if it would deactivate a very angry cat's claws and teeth?
    We've got a twenty pound cat who has BAD allergies or something. He's been checked for all the kitty diseases and other stuff. You can NOT give that cat any medicine, he will rip you to shreds. Goes after you with teeth and claws, Not a pretty sight. If he takes a certain antibotic he is fine and it's the ONLY thing we've found that he will eat in his food but he stays on it waaay too much. I've bought med after med to treat the allergy and you might as well pour it down the drain cause he "ain't" gonna take it and we can't make him. It bothers me that he stays on the antibotic so much but I guess we'll give it to him til he dies. At least he feels good while he takes it.
    Oddly when you aren't trying to dose this cat with something he is the most loving and calmest cat I've ever seen. Any suggestions?
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueColours View Post
    I used to take the sticky wrappers off socks and stick them to my cat, or bits of the blue scotch tape (both easily removed with out taking hair).

I'd take elastic bands & just place them over my cats tail (NOTE: NOT WRAPPED!!! very loose, just placed on her tail) - because of that she still chased her tail until she died at 14 y/o - it was so funny.

I also taught her to lie down on command, it was really easy! I'd just snap my fingers then gently push her over, she got it in just a few minutes. Then again Riki was the best & smartest cat there ever was
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

Quote Originally Posted by pj View Post
    Wonder if it would deactivate a very angry cat's claws and teeth?
    Grabbing them by the scruff (Gently) can give you some good leverage.

However, I would suggest you go buy some liver. You can get it in a tube, or just non-spiced Pate & you will never have a problem getting pills down your cat! Kraft cheese slices are also good but I find the pills don't stick in them as well.
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine