The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What's your opinion on...?

Saddle Right Saddle Pads

I met someone at a clinic this weekend who had a youngster who was having back/behavioral problems. After getting this pad, she said the problems went away. I've had similar issues w/ my greenie. Just wanted to know if anyone had had any success with the pad before I drop $250 on it. Thanks!

Default LOVE THEM

I have read these forums for a while, but actually just registered specifically to reply to this post, because I love Saddle Right saddle pads. They distribute pressure really well without adding bulk under a saddle, which I usually think makes fit issues worse anyway. They also last forever and if you get the smooth leather one you can wipe it off with saddle soap anytime to keep it looking nice. I ride dozens of different horses in my saddle (as a working student), and every horse seems to like this pad. Well worth the money in my opinion. Good luck!

I love my saddle right pads. I've got a couple of them and use them anytime I need a little bit extra under my saddle. I love that I still feel "close" to my horse (unlike the feeling I get with my Mattes pad or any of my [MANY] other pads). I've had both of mine for 10+ years and they're still going strong.

Could you use them underneath a fleece shaped show pad?

Lol, wow, the description seems pretty promising! Sounds like if everyone bought one, they'd have an instantly better horse, from the description

Anwyay, i have no experience with the pad and i'm sure its a good pad, i just think the description is a little over the top. how on earth can it promise that it prevents a horse from flicking its tail? thats not always a bad thing!
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Quote Originally Posted by superpony123 View Post
    Lol, wow, the description seems pretty promising! Sounds like if everyone bought one, they'd have an instantly better horse, from the description

Anwyay, i have no experience with the pad and i'm sure its a good pad, i just think the description is a little over the top. how on earth can it promise that it prevents a horse from flicking its tail? thats not always a bad thing!
    That's why I was asking! I'm always skeptical of things claiming to be panaceas, but I'm up for trying them if there seems to be pretty positive feedback. I'm definitely sure the pad wouldn't work or help if you had a wide horse and were riding it in a regular tree saddle. But I can't afford a custom fit saddle so if this can make my horse feel better, I'm all for it. After all, my horses have to lug my butt around...if I had to do that, I'd hope that someone would put something on my back to make it easier! I suppose the concept would be a little like hiking backpacks - they have much more solid support so you can lug 50lbs around a lot easier than with those flimsy take-to-high-school packs.

Thanks for the feedback! I just talked to the barn owner tonight and he says he has one he completely forgot about so I can try it...that is, if he can find where he stored it!

I have the western saddle right and really like it for one horse but it for my other horse, I still get pressure spots. I've had it for ages and although the suede is starting to rub off, it inside hasn't hardened and it's still in excellent condition. For the one I don't use the SR on, I use a Diamond Wool pad which works better. Definitely worth the money for the SR though.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

everyone in my barn has one (except me! ) and they all love it and swear by it. Will not ride without it. I'm still waiting for one to pop up on eBay that I don't forget to bid on... $250 is a lot to spend on a pad, but I hear it's definitely worth it!

Have had one for 12+ years, love it, will never part with it. I don't always have the situation right to use it, but I always end up in one and am always glad I still have it.

You can get a fleece cover for it as well.

You CAN use it with a regular fleece pad, but if you're going to use it, period, your saddle had BETTER be too wide to start with. It cannot *just* fit, it cannot ever be too narrow (well, EVER, regardless of what pad you use). It. Must. Be. Too. Wide.

It's a thick pad that takes up room. It WILL narrow the fit of the saddle.

Tried the saddle pad tonight and oh.my.god! I rode my gelding in it and for the first time in a really long time, he didn't bite at the crossties when I cinched the girth. I didn't notice a huge change in his attitude under saddle (but he's a good ole guy so sometimes it's hard to tell) but I'm amazed that my hips aren't as sore as they usually are!

And my mare...I lunged her in the saddle pad/saddle/side reins and for the first time ever she actually stretched her neck down to the ground. She's stretched a bit into the contact but I've never seen her stretch that far down to the ground. I got the feeling from her that she was very happy with the extra back support. She also didn't tow on the lunge line tracking left like she has for the last year. Can't wait to ride her in it!

I am impressed! I think I'm pretty sold on them. Thanks for all your advice!

Yes, $250 is expensive but I've gone through an Air Ride ($180), a built up roper pad ($75), a specially made pad with shims ($75), and assorted others trying to make my hard to fit horse comfortable. When I read about the SaddleRight and decided to try it, $250 was a small price to pay after what I've been through. My boy is happy so I'm happy.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

And if you look at $250 over the life of a pad, it's pretty cheap. Sure, it's "just" a pad not a big fancy leather saddle. But how many people keep a $4k saddle for 10+ years? I'd bet fewer than those who keep it forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Parker_Rider View Post
    everyone in my barn has one (except me! ) and they all love it and swear by it. Will not ride without it. I'm still waiting for one to pop up on eBay that I don't forget to bid on... $250 is a lot to spend on a pad, but I hear it's definitely worth it!

Enter the free drawing they have on the site - maybe you'll get lucky!

Smile I Won!

Just bumping this up because after reading this thread and checking the site I went ahead and entered the contest, figuring what the heck. Well, I just got the phone call and I won! I never win anything! In a few weeks I'll be getting the brown leather pad.

Off to buy lottery tickets.....