The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ponies to horses.... UPDATE - I drove the horses!!!!!

Ferrari to Mack truck?

In going from 12.2 hand pair of ponies to a 16.3 hand pair of warmbloods what can I expect to be the same or different? Anything in particular I should pay attention to or be aware of?
    Last edited by Ashemont; Jun. 16, 2009 at 06:45 PM.
    Pat Belskie - ASHEMONT Farm

http://www.ashemont.com
    Ashemont2@gmail.com

Now I don't think that 12.2 ponies are Ferraris. I think that's more t/b's or anglo arabs or arabs.

I think 12.2 ponies are zippy little Ford Fiesta's or Peugeot 205's.

Warmbloods are more like the big family saloon car but with plenty of power.

Its the power that's awesome when you go up from ponies to horses.

A pair of warmbloods will lift your carriage right up into the air when they transition up to canter! You'll need a bloody good groom on the back step to keep your carriage wheels on the ground at keep you upright at all times.

I'm not qualified to answer, but have to say that watching a pair of ponies zip through an obstacle always makes me , but watching a pair of big, strong horses go through using the very same path makes me . Awesome.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

More power for sure and doesn't take near as long to get where you're going. I went from driving a pair of older Quarter horse mares to driving Percherons. HUGE difference, but so much fun, especially when you add two more!
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

They're a pair!!!! Took Mehru and Phoenix to Bill's yesterday and he put them together after fitting all of the harness. He was concerned that Mehru might object to the breeching as it's a Yankee breeching, but it wasn't a problem.

At first they did a fair amount of bumping into each other. Start, stop and turn weren't an issue and after a turn or two around the field we headed down the trails. They even cantered up a hill! By the time we got back to the barn they were going quite nicely together I didn't get to drive them. Bill was pleased with how they went, though, and I'm sure I'll get the reins next week

So today I hitched Mehru to the Kutzmann Feel-X. It's the first time she's been put to a 4 wheeled carriage. What a good, patient girl she was as I adjusted everything. Then I drove off to the field with nary a problem. Mehru is very quiet and obedient, and nice and light. She is a bit stiff to the right so we did lots of serpentines and circles. I plan on driving her single until we get all of our equipment ready for a pair - need to get Bill to make the pole longer as pony length doesn't work too well for 16.3 hand horses!!

The only down side is that Maggie was terribly jealous and hollered to me the whole time I was driving Mehru. I'm sure it's not the work she cared about - it's the treats AFTER working

Ashemont2@gmail.com

Well done to you and the horses and Bill

Hey Pat, are you taking Joe's drive away from him? Poor Joe!!!!

Good job on putting together the pair!!! We will want photos you know!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cartfall View Post
    Hey Pat, are you taking Joe's drive away from him? Poor Joe!!!!
    Not really. Joe has not been driving since the beginning of the year as he deals with health issues and Phoenix is getting FAT! Mehru needed a job and although she's an extremely talented jumper she inheritied her mom's front end so we didn't feel that was the best option for her. Also, I'm just not up to starting 3-4 year olds under saddle anymore. Especially 16.3 hand ones! By breaking her to drive and putting her with Phoenix it kills a few birds with the proverbial one stone

Quote Originally Posted by Cartfall View Post
    Good job on putting together the pair!!! We will want photos you know!!!
    I know you were betting on me going for a team but.... with the ponies weighing in at just over 500 lbs and the horses weighing about 1400 lbs each I think I've actually moved up to MORE than a team

Ashemont2@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ashemont View Post
    I know you were betting on me going for a team but.... with the ponies weighing in at just over 500 lbs and the horses weighing about 1400 lbs each I think I've actually moved up to MORE than a team
    No lie!!! You will have plenty of horsepowr now!!!

Great! I hope you have tons of enjoyment with your new pair!

Wendy
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Whoooo-hoooo! *I* drove my HORSE PAIR today!!! It was rainy and we almost turned around, but we needed Bill to make a bigger extension for the pole so we figured we might as well keep going. It had cleared a lot by the time we arrived and so, with just a smattering of rain, we hitched up.

Bill like my nice, new LEATHER reins (3/4" Hardy - and good ones from Holland, Thomas). Joe and climbed on Bill's carriage and off down the road we went - right through Southern Pines! Phoenix was slacking off and Bill got after him a bit. Mehru was unsteady but really trying to do her job. Once we got through town and headed out between the pastures they hit a nice easy rhythm. There were lots of puddles and after Phoenix fussed at the first one they both trotted handily through the rest.

Then Bill switched seats with me and handed me the reins! What a difference from the ponies! I tried one-handed as I've really been practicing, but the difference in length was so much that I felt safer using both hands. Especially since we were in narrow alleys and I didn't want to take out anyone's fence

Both horses are very light in the bridle and come back easily. We trotted and walked for a bit and then they even did a slow canter up a hilly part. Bill said that was fine as neither of them is fit at the moment.

Bill hopes to have my pole extension finished tonight - tomorrow at the latest - and then I'll be able to drive at home. My plan is to just work in the fenced in field until I have good control and communication. Then we can graduate to our little trails out back. It's going to take time but I think we're going to have a pair of horses that will easily come up to the ponies Of course I also think it will be quite awhile before I can fit all of that around a hazard!!

Ashemont2@gmail.com

Fantastic! I can feel your adrenaline form here, lol!

You have a lot of guts! Hope you can get a lot of practice in after your pole is finished.

Wendy
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

That is really great you drove the team and by how you wrote, was like we were right there and I can almost see that smile on your face! Way to go!!