The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boarding facility in central NJ

Hi COTH community,
    I'm looking for a place to board my horse in central NJ, any ideas?

I'm looking for a relaxed atmosphere yet I want the ability to go to shows periodically. I need a qualified trainer to work with me and my horse.

No full service show barns please and no youth barns

thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Default Boarding

Sent you a pm

what do you mean by central NJ? That would help a lot
    Adriane
    Happily retired but used to be:
    www.ParrotNutz.com

I'd say I'm looking in lower Morris county, Union county, and upper Hunterdon and Somerset counties

Do you have a particular price range? that would help.

ETA: i sent you a PM
    Last edited by superpony123; Jun. 3, 2009 at 07:11 PM.
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Default Boarding Central NJ

What kind of riding do you do and what's your budget? Where do you live and how far would you travel? There are a lot of places around - some big, some small - some with indoors, some without - you can also go to Horseman's outlet and look on the board there for listings - you can also call some vets to see if they know of anyplace they would recommend (especially if you want to know about the quality of care...)

You can send me a PM for specific recommendations

Liberty Farm is FANTASTIC! Best barn in the area in my opinion-literally worry free. You never have to worry that something isnt getting done, the horses are all impeccably clean and well turned out (EVERYBODY, even Olympic riders, comment on how incredible all the horses look), the barn is low key-there ARE a few avid show riders but theres also plenty of riders that come for the fun of it, not for the competing aspect. The barn is a mix of juniors and amateurs and the training is fantastic-Gary Zook's students' show records speak for themselves.
    The barn consists of 3 barns-the upper 4 stall barn, the main 17 (or is it 18?) stall barn, and the lower 2 stall barn complete with run outs. Its in Whitehouse Station, right smack in the middle of horse country and close to Briarwood and all the local show facilities should you choose to go out and show.
    I really couldnt be happier, the barn is drama free (or about as drama free as a barn can get), everybody rides well, the facilities are incredible (it was Robert Dover's old barn and Christine Tauber trained out of there for 8 years), the care is the best in the state, and its just a really low key, fun atmosphere.
    Really cant say enough good things about it. PM me if you want details.

The OP specifically said she did not want a full service show barn.

Liberty is a nice place that I briefly looked at for boarding once and I specifically did not board there because they insist on a full service package with tack ups/grooming/everything down to weekly ear clipping included.

From what I saw they do provide a lot of service for what they charge, so it is definitely a pretty good value if that is what you are looking for, but it is a full service facility all the way.

They looked at me like I was totally crazy when I showed up for a lesson with two saddles and wanted to get near enough to tacking up their lesson horse that I could pick which one I would use based on seeing which saddle fit him better. Before I even saw the horse they were offering to take the saddle and were all, "Which saddle would you like to use??" and looked at me in disbelief when I was like, "Well, whichever one fits him best, where is he, can I look and see?" They let me get close enough to put each saddle on and compare, but when I picked one after twenty seconds of looking, the two grooms who were watching this wide-eyed leapt back in to do the saddle pad and girth and put the bridle on.

I absolutely agree that the care is top notch, and being familiar with the area they offer A LOT for every dollar you spend (there are barns here who charge the same just for feeding, mucking, turning out and blankets) but it was totally weird to just stand there and watch while someone else tacked up the horse.
    Last edited by meupatdoes; Jun. 5, 2009 at 10:51 AM.

Yea, I would say that's not what I'm looking for, but enjoy for those who are!

What about Cindy Troy's barn in Annandale - Snowdon? I haven't been there in years (converted to eventing!), but I loved Cindy when I rode with her. She's very good, very well-respected, and while the horses get great care it is not a full service tack-up-your-horse-for-you kind of barn.

She has a website, http://www.snowdonponies.com/about_us.html.

There are many, many barns in the areas you describe - everything from trail-riders to Olympic riders. When you come look at them, ask specifically about turnout: how long, under what conditions, with a group, in which specific field? Some barns (cough, cough) only turn them out alone for an hour or two a day if the sun is shining - no other options are available!

Snowdon has great care, but they RARELY have open horse sized stalls and they are focused more on kids, as well as being pricey.
    Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

No liberty has a few non full service people, especially in the upper barn and a few in the main barn. Its worth coming to look for sure, and you DEFINITELY will not be the only person on regular board.

Quote Originally Posted by gg4918 View Post
    No liberty has a few non full service people, especially in the upper barn and a few in the main barn. Its worth coming to look for sure, and you DEFINITELY will not be the only person on regular board.
    Are these people who came recently or ones who grandfathered in?

I distinctly got the impression that
    a.) there is a wait list
    and
    b.) they only want new people who are on the full ride.

Are there even any empty stalls?

My best friend just moved in last week and she's on regular board. There's definitely stalls available right now. I would call ASAP though because stalls go very quickly.