The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Leftover stirrup leather?

I have really short stirrup leather (48") and still manage to have enough left over that the end hangs down past the bottom of my saddle. I used to just tuck the end up under my saddle flap at shows, but now that I show with a half pad that doesn't seem to work very well. I really like looking neat and tidy, so that long piece of leather trailing behind my leg drives me crazy! Whats a good way to get keep the excess stirrup leather from hanging out?

Everytime I read a GM critique in PH, he always tells them to cut the excess stirrup leather off.
    Confessions of a Cool Kid! <--- check out my blog (:
    My Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by kaazs View Post
    Everytime I read a GM critique in PH, he always tells them to cut the excess stirrup leather off.
    My leathers are stitched with nylon in the middle, if I cut them they'll start unstitching and fall apart.

I have the same issue cuz I did buy the wrong length by way of stupidity. BUT I canNOT see myself cutting a perfectly good piece of leather, but thats all thats ever been suggested to me.

I do fold the loose part back UP through the keeper and you can secure it with a small piece of matching colored yarn or a braiding rubberband. That seems to work really well.

Take it and have it cut and re-sewn. That should keep it looking good and not coming un-stitched.
    ***Honorary Member of the "What is BOSS?" Cult...er...CLIQUE***
    ***Prominent Member of the 'Irrelevent Posters Clique'***
    CrayolaPosse ~ Bluegreen

Is it a monoflap saddle?

Otherwise, I'm not sure what you are referring to. Stirrup leather goes through the keeper, then between the 2 flaps, tucking under a billet if long enough. Don't think a half pad would make a difference there. If you don't have a keeper, stirrup leather still goes towards the back and tucks under, not straight down.

It's not a monoflap. For some reason it just works it's way out from under the flap with my half pad.

Quote Originally Posted by theroanypony View Post
    It's not a monoflap. For some reason it just works it's way out from under the flap with my half pad.

Is it long enough to tuck under the billet (with the girth done up)? That should hold it more than tight enough.

Another idea is to rig it whereby you used a string to tie the last hole of the leather to a hole in the billet.

If all else fails, I agree you could have the leather professionally shortened.

Good luck!

I just take my leathers to any tack store that will do basic repairs. They cut it at the buckle end and reattach it at the buckle end. I think they applied a little heat at the new cut to melt/seal the nylon so it does not unravel.

Any shoemaker will be able to cut and stitch the end for you so it doesn't ravel.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    I just take my leathers to any tack store that will do basic repairs. They cut it at the buckle end and reattach it at the buckle end. I think they applied a little heat at the new cut to melt/seal the nylon so it does not unravel.
    That is great! I have wondered about this for a while. I called Bevals and was told they do it for $30 a pair. Is that the going rate?

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    That is great! I have wondered about this for a while. I called Bevals and was told they do it for $30 a pair. Is that the going rate?
    I always have this done to my leathers as they stretch, I don't want to punch holes in them.

That sounds about right for the price.