The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Away Summer Camps

Have any of you ever been to a sleep away summer camp where you can bring your own horse? My good friend is looking for one for her 14y/o daughter and her horse for this summer (late notice I know!). They live in south eastern Pennsylvania and would love it to be within a 10 hour drive. Any ideas you have would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

www.forrestel.com

I believe they still have some slots available for this summer. Fun place!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Andrews-Osborne Academy at least used to let you bring your own horse. It's located in Willoughby, OH. BEAUTIFUL facility and I always had a great time there! The instructors were always wonderful and very helpful. They had excellent horses too and I actually preferred the opportunity to ride other horses than to have taken my horse with me.

Roads End Farm, in Chesterfield NH! They are amazing. Thom and Alicia are like family. I went there as a older teen, and then my mom started going as the camp doc! Almost the whole fam has attended at one time or another. Can't say enough amazing things about Roads End. Its a home away from home for me. www.roadsendfarm.com

We bring our horses every summer to a 4-H camp. Its great. We get quality instruction twice a day, as well as beneficial seminars. The facility is awesome, GM does clinics there in December, and the instructors are very helpful. This will be my sixth or seveth year going. I really enjoy overnight camps, definitely more so than just the regular day clinic. Good luck in your search.
    Confessions of a Cool Kid! <--- check out my blog (:
    My Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by 2LeftHooves View Post
    Roads End Farm, in Chesterfield NH! They are amazing. Thom and Alicia are like family. I went there as a older teen, and then my mom started going as the camp doc! Almost the whole fam has attended at one time or another. Can't say enough amazing things about Roads End. Its a home away from home for me. www.roadsendfarm.com
    this place looks AMAZING!!!! my daughter is begging to go to camp this summer and I will show her this info when she gets home today,this sounds like the PERFECT place for her!!! thanks for the info!
    Kim
    If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

The Ethel Walker School has a Summer Riding Program and you can bring your own horse.

We do a 2 week residential camp and campers can bring horses. We attend a "C" rated show where the girls can show or just help. www.chathamhall.org

Ditto to Andrews! You really can't compete with the quality of instruction, horses, and facilities at Andrews. I went to camp there about 7 years ago and most of the girls who brought horses would ride their own horse for one lesson each day and a school horse for the other lesson. That way they got the best of both worlds! If you go to their website there is information under the "Equestrian" link.
    www.andrews-school.org

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
    www.forrestel.com

I believe they still have some slots available for this summer. Fun place!
    I second that!! I went for two years and had a blast. The riding wasn't very advanced... we jumped about 2'6" max but the horse I rode was green. Overall very fun! Lots of stuff to do and great people

Thank you guys so much! I wish I was still a kid, those places all look like a lot of fun!! I'll be sure to pass on the information to my friend.

Longacres.com
    I think you can bring your horse there

Default New Meadow Farm

the camp is in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia...it's about 5 hours from the Phily Area. The folks that own New Meadow also operate a large lesson facility near Phily. the Website for New Meadow is www.newmeadowcamp.com. Call Caroline...I know that girls have brought their own horses in the past.

Rick in VA