The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Barefoot Trimmer near Tyrone, PA, please

Does anyone know of a barefoot trimmer who would be able to trim 1 horse at Allegheny/Grier Camp in Tyrone, PA, during the next 8 weeks?

My daughter is taking her horse there for her summer job and needs a barefoot trimmer. She has been singularly unsuccessful in finding anyone off the websites for such people. We're hoping that someone exists who, for some reason, isn't on any of the lists.

If necessary, I will drive the 4-hr. one-way trip to do it myself, but I'd really rather not. So, if anyone has any suggestions, we'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Twiliath; Jun. 2, 2009 at 09:54 PM. Reason: left out info.
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

sent you a pm

Bump.
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

Quote Originally Posted by Twiliath View Post
    My daughter is taking her horse there for her summer job and needs a barefoot trimmer.
    My bold for emphasis.

Limiting your options for hoof care to "barefoot trimmers" has to do with your personal prejudice, not the horse's needs. Any competent "hoof care provider" can trim a horse.

If she's keeping a horse at a boarding facility/camp why doesn't she ask around and see who others use/recommend?

And my "barefoot trimmer" likes to go by the title of farrier.

Quote Originally Posted by ThoroughbredFancy View Post
    And my "barefoot trimmer" likes to go by the title of farrier.
    Great point.

Mine too. And if need be he can put on a pretty nice set of shoes.

OP, call the facility where your daughter is keeping her horse and see what they offer for hoof care professionals.

Talking

My apologies for not being clear. My daughter has emailed the facility about other matters previously and not gotten any reply whatsoever. Since she will arrive Sunday, she will ask around next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer, CF, RJF View Post
    My bold for emphasis.

Limiting your options for hoof care to "barefoot trimmers" has to do with your personal prejudice, not the horse's needs. Any competent "hoof care provider" can trim a horse.
    Tom, in my experience so far, this is definitely NOT true. I've watched many farriers prepare the foot for shoeing and then just leave the shoe off. That is most definitely not the same thing as a barefoot trim with a mustang roll and no paring of the sole or frog.

I've watched a "competent hoof care provider" (who everyone else feels walks on water) not deal with the flares, the hoof separation, deep clefts, high heels, etc., but who insists on paring out the sole and the frog so that the horse is foot sore for several days. Everyone feels this is "normal." It is not.

However, I will accede to your correction of my usage of the word "need." Yes, in fact, we would prefer a barefoot trimmer who specializes in barefoot trims and is not a shoer who just leaves the shoes off.

For everyone's clarity and usage of the English language: farrier: Obsolete French ferrier, from Latin ferrrius, of iron, blacksmith, from ferrum, iron.

I find it hard to use the word "farrier" for someone who does not work with iron.

And many "blacksmiths" don't shoe horses.

If everyone wants to derail my request for information and referrals, go right ahead. My life is boring. I'd love to watch the train wreck.
    Last edited by Twiliath; Jun. 5, 2009 at 09:39 AM. Reason: typos
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

The facility is 3 hours away from me, otherwise I'd make a trip up to help you out. I sure wish I knew of somebody to recommend in that area. You could try asking on a barefoot web site. Basically, what the OP is asking for a specific type of trim here, and there isn't really a need to argue whether a farrier can do it. I'm sure one could. Whether one would is a different matter.

OTOH, a good farrier will do a good job, even if it isn't exactly the type of trim you are looking for. Just ask him to radius the wall for the finish.

Good luck finding a good person to do the job. Doesn't seem to be anybody on here from that area.

I'm not too far from Tyrone, but I am a farrier. I also trim lots of horses that have no shoes...

For everyone's clarity and usage of the English language: farrier: Obsolete French ferrier, from Latin ferrrius, of iron, blacksmith, from ferrum, iron.

I find it hard to use the word "farrier" for someone who does not work with iron.

And many "blacksmiths" don't shoe horses.
    Oh he still works with iron, just not on my horse currently.

My apologies for not being clear. My daughter has emailed the facility about other matters previously and not gotten any reply whatsoever.
    AND you're sending your daughter and her horse there?

There are good and bad farriers and good and bad barefoot trimmers. Why is it that the OP is so sure that any barefoot trimmer they might find near this place will do just what they want but no farrier is going to?

I would guess if the facility has a farrier that does a good job if you simply ask for what you want in the way of a trim you will get it.

I find it quite interesting that you all are going to criticize me for asking for recommendations for what I want, what I prefer, as if I'm not allowed to have a preference or an opinion. So it's different from yours. I'm allowed to have an opinion and for it to be different from yours. You don't have to get defensive about it and criticize me for it.

I can start my search any where and any how I want. I put it out there what I'm looking for. If it exists, great. If it doesn't, I'll see what is.

Unfortunately, at least for me, is that the shoers I've had experience with in the last 40+ years, in six states, and on two coasts, is that, being shoers, they're very independent. That's why they work alone. They're very opinionated. That's fine. They can also be somewhat difficult to work with because of the strong independence and opinions. That is, they tend to ignore what I've asked for and do it their way. Last time I asked the "walks on water" farrier to trim my young horse and NOT trim out the sole or frog, I got trimmed out sole and frog and a foot sore horse I had to deal with and he couldn't be in training for a few days, for which I was paying a hefty sum.

My daughter is strong willed, but only with me.

Let's just agree to disagree and allow me to have my personal preferences. I won't tell you how to do your job and you don't need to tell me how to search for what I want.

As far as sending my 20-year-old daughter and her horse to a camp that doesn't return emails, that's her choice and her summer job. They may be very busy communicating with prospective campers and her questions about farriers, etc., may be at the bottom of their pile of things to do.

Again, it's out choice and our problem. It's not yours.

I asked a very specific question and am looking for helpful answers. If you can't contribute to that, then go away.
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    There are good and bad farriers and good and bad barefoot trimmers. Why is it that the OP is so sure that any barefoot trimmer they might find near this place will do just what they want but no farrier is going to ?
    Perhaps this is due to the 80/20 rule. From experience (and not just because I now trim myself), I have found over the years that only about 20% of the farriers in our area were also good trimmers, compared to about 80% of the barefoot trimmers I know who are good trimmers. Apparently I am not alone as the OP seems to have had similar experiences as I have and I know for a fact that there are more people out there who have too.......

I have my theories as to why, but I do not care to mention them here as it will only lead to wild disputes, bashing and verbal abuse plus just another train wreck by the die hard traditional thinking farriers and horse owners, although this post might be enough to trigger their vengeance

For the love of pete - for just ONCE could you people lay off the bullshit and just answer the freakin question.

There are a couple of sources to look up trimmers:

http://www.easycareinc.com/Search/Practitioner.aspx
    http://www.thehorseshoof.com/trimmers.html

Good luck, hope you can find one to suit your needs!

If everyone wants to derail my request for information and referrals, go right ahead. My life is boring. I'd love to watch the train wreck.

I asked a very specific question and am looking for helpful answers. If you can't contribute to that, then go away.
    Aw, so quick to change your mind eh?

But on a more serious note, I cannot think of any specifically barefoot trimmers that I know in that area.

http://thehorseshoof.com/trimmers.html

Here is a list-just be sure to 'interview' and check references.

At least it is a starting point.

I find it quite interesting that you all are going to criticize me for asking for recommendations for what I want, what I prefer, as if I'm not allowed to have a preference or an opinion. So it's different from yours. I'm allowed to have an opinion and for it to be different from yours. You don't have to get defensive about it and criticize me for it.

I can start my search any where and any how I want. I put it out there what I'm looking for. If it exists, great. If it doesn't, I'll see what is.
    There's nothing wrong with asking for what you want. What happens is that others tell you what they think you need, even though it isn't what you asked for. Happens all the time when anybody mentions "hoof" on a thread. It comes from both sides, farriers and barefooters alike.

Perhaps you can find a trimmer that will suit from the references others have given. Will you keep us posted? I'm curious how this turns out for both your daughter and her horse.

You can try contacting the ladies at Iron Free Hoof and see if they can recommend someone in the area:
    http://ironfreehoof.com/

Aventura Two, Matryoshka, and BTR - thanks for the support! ;-)

TB Fancy - I was trying to be really, REALLY sarcastic!

We have several websites to check and she did. We'll try all those suggested.

Thanks all who helped!
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com