The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Has anyone had their vet tell them their mare wasn't pregnant when she really was?

I have an older mare that we tried to get in foal last year and was told she did not take. She was checked when she was 3 months along and my vet said she was not pregnant. I know this mare well and she is all the sudden gaining tons of weight. This is normally a very hard keeper and I keep cutting her grain back more and more because she is huge. She seems normal otherwise. Her udders are always full and keep filling more. I know its crazy because the chance that my vet was wrong that late into a pregnancy is unheard of. Or is it? Anyone had any experience like this?

I think every breeder has had that happened at some point. Get the vet out asap and find out for sure.

One of the best stories like this that I've heard is from Rolling Stone Farm. Check it out. Go to www.rollingstonefarm.com and click on EM Ghamma Ray under "latest client news."

A friend bought a mare several years ago who was certified not in foal several times. Yes, she had a colt.

Get the mare checked, again.

Yes, it has happened to me twice.

Default It is not uncommon

I have had several experiences like that - despite being blessed by top-notch veterinary help, it happens....
    I don't even have my mares ulrasounded at 14 days - I rather go with 16.
    It's actually a pleasant surprise when the open mare miraculously proves to be pregnant...on the other hand sometimes the extra embryo is not all that great. Several years back my stallion's (Lotus T's) mother, Key Moment was bred to Ariadus. We knew that the mare double ovulated and at 16 days there were twins. The (very experienced repro-)vet came back 5 days later and looked and looked and looked for 45 minutes, until he was convinced that there was only one embryo. 8 months later, when the mare bagged up and started dripping milk all of a sudden, I knew that there was trouble, however there was nothing else to do, but wait for the inevitable abortion. It never came. The mare delivered a healthy filly (who became a site champion premium mare with the AHHA) and a mummified fetus. i was very-very lucky.

It happened to me too...........a maiden mare checked on day 16.........the vet I was using then said no foal. A few months later I had to take her to U of FL for something and they asked if she'd been bred last season.....I said yes, but it didnt take. They said, oh yes it did......look.
    I felt quite lucky they found it so I was able to vaccinate, feed, etc. her properly. She had a lovely filly by Paparazzo (my Claim to Fame full sister).......who just got started u/s today!!
    Here is a photo of her a few weeks ago at RMI A Shows winning Reserve Champ Best Young Horse........it was her first show too! i"m crazy about her!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pizzaz and Robert HB RMI.JPG 
Views:	170 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	25514  
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

Yep! Happened to us twice...
    Unbridled Oaks - Champion Sport Ponies and Welsh Cobs

Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/unbridledoaks

It has happened to me twice too.
    But I have also had mares with false pregnancies twice.

At a certain point, your vet can only use uterine tone and hormone levels (not commonly done or necessarily reliable) to determine a mare's status. Your mare may "think" she is in foal, even if she isn't. Or she might well be pregnant.

How far along do you think she'd be?
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

My Padinus foal born this year has a story of his own too. The mare was check at 16 days with twins so close together that he suggest to send the mare to a vet hospital as he was afraid he would destroy both if he tried. Rush to St-Hyacinthe hospital who confirmed she was in foal but of a single embryo (the other one was a kist) but they were not sure she would hold the foal. As I did not plan to breed her again that year if she would lost her foal I did not have her checked again manualy before October or November... where the vet said she did not feel anything as...no embryo.

As I always had the feeling that she was still pregnant I had her checked again in February and there he was. You see, there is a time where it is very difficult to feel a mare in foal as the embryo is still tiny and if the mare is old as was my case, the uterus has dropped and it is almost impossible to know if the embryo is still there.
    Suzanne
    bloomingtonfarm.com
    Breeder of Royal Dutch Sport Horse

Have that happen with one of mine. She was a 3 yr old which we were backing and breeding that year. We continued backing her and riding her thru to the fall when we noticed she looked slightly pregnant and then soon after she started developing an udder. A nice surprise as I really wanted a foal from this mare.

Another time, a boarder brought her very old mare to the farm. As soon as she arrived I thought she looked pregnant and asked. I was told she had been checked by two different Vets and both said she was open. Well, I just thought she looked like that because she had had several foals in the past. BIG surprise when one morning we went out to feed and there was a foal standing by her side.
    www.trevelyanfarm.com
    Follow us: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Tre...1609022?ref=ts
    Breeders of Sport Horses & New Forest Sport Ponies

Three times/twice with the same mare. Both were older mares that had a tilted uterus...so I guess the little bugger found a place to hide!!

A very good friend bought an older mare from a breeding farm as a riding horse. She hadn't had a foal that year and three breedings to their stallion turned up no foal. She was sold for peanuts as an 18 year old trail mare. I mentioned to my friend that the mare looked pregnant. I was told in no uncertain terms that she was just fat and that she had been U/S 3 times. I told her "but she looks fatter on one side than the other!" I must have scared her because she called and had the local vet come out and palpate her...............no foal. Then she called me to chastise me about spending the $ on the vet call and time missed from work to be there for the vet. ONE WEEK later she called me for help because she went out to feed and there was a colt in the snow!
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Just happened to me this breeding season. Mare was out on a breeding lease, returned not in foal. Rode her all winter and spring,thought she looked big when we pulled her blanket off in March but just thought she was falsing. Delivered a healthy and beautiful baby boy on May 26. Pretty amazing. She is an older mare, 21, and really didn't show too much until right before delivery. Mine also has a tilted uterus. It's amazing after all the things I have done in the past to try to ensure that everything is perfect, shots at the right time, vet checks, great diet, delivery at the vets, and this one is born without a hitch or problem with no prep and no help. Life is funny.

Kadija was confirmed 'not in foal', but we got this little lump 10 days ago.:-)) I also just had a MO from Canada deliver a confirmed 'not in foal' baby yesterday.

Shown at 24 hours.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KDIMG_2332 [800x600].JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	189.2 KB 
ID:	25515  
    Chris Misita
    www.hiddenvalleyfarms.net Home of Bravo and Warrick!
    To dare; progress comes at this price. All sublime conquests are, more or less, the rewards of daring.
    Victor Hugo

Is their any recourse when your vet incorrectly declares a mare not pregnant?

We had a bit of a scare with my mare last year and thankfully we've past the time when she would have given birth . I did have her vet checked but the ultrasound machine battery died during, the vet said she had a "pretty good idea" - I was not thrilled. She did do a rectal and still couldn't feel anything. My mare continued to put on giant amounts of weight over the winter, but I found out later that was because the BO was still feeding her despite my repeated asking her to cut it out because she thought she knew more then the vet... (different issue, horse moved.)

My question is: if my mare had be pregnant I would have asked the vets to refund me the incorrect diagnosis. Has anyone tried this and had any luck?
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

Quote Originally Posted by Nes View Post
    Is their any recourse when your vet incorrectly declares a mare not pregnant?

We had a bit of a scare with my mare last year and thankfully we've past the time when she would have given birth . I did have her vet checked but the ultrasound machine battery died during, the vet said she had a "pretty good idea" - I was not thrilled. She did do a rectal and still couldn't feel anything. My mare continued to put on giant amounts of weight over the winter, but I found out later that was because the BO was still feeding her despite my repeated asking her to cut it out because she thought she knew more then the vet... (different issue, horse moved.)

My question is: if my mare had be pregnant I would have asked the vets to refund me the incorrect diagnosis. Has anyone tried this and had any luck?
    In the case of my friend, the vet subtracted the cost of the palpation from the foal check visit......since it was all in the same week.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

I sold what I thot was an open mare and fortunately the vet checked her again before she left.

Thank you all for replying. I am definately going to have her checked out right away. If she were pregnant, I would be very thrilled since her full sister just won a class on the line at Devon last week. She was bred to Balta Czar again and I am hoping and praying that she is in foal and if so that it is healthy. It will be as the Lord wishes it to be. The twist on this saga is that this mare is older and has been showing strong heat right along (to her boyfriend whom she is turned out with) so I was convinced she was not pregnant. And the even stranger thing is that a week ago, the mare (who is still turned out with her last baby which is now a 2 year old) just started behaving very attached to her daughter again and insisted that she start nursing again. So the 2 year old (after much coaxing) DID start to nurse. It lasted for 2 days. I was just about to separate them (which meant I had to move the mare to another farm) and the behavior suddenly stopped. I was dumbfounded. The whole situation is very strange to me. This mare never really dries up but she appears to be bagging up slowly more and more. Or maybe its just wishful thinking??? She is really fat though. There is no question about that. Thank you for all your input.

Default She is nursing again

Just found the two year old suddenly nursing again this morning! I am really confused. She was weaned as a baby and has not thought about her mother since then. The dam keeps nickering at her...bidding her to come nurse. She looks as though she's in heat right now too.