The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Keratex hoof hardner

Has anyone ever used this stuff? Does it work? My mare has one hoof that is softer than the others and this time of year when it rains so much, that hoof gets soft and splays out. I cant keep her in a stall for more than 12 hours or her legs puff up like you wouldnt beleive. Ive thought about trying this stuff, but wanted to know if anyone has had any positive results from it
    "A horse is an Angel without wings"

Try searching the forums for "Keratex" and click the "Show Posts" option rather than the "Show Threads" option. You'll see lots of praise for this product, but some people prefer Durasole because it's cheaper.

Regarding Keratex's cost, it is pricey but you will get about one full year of regular use from a single bottle if you only use it on a single horse. Ask me how I know.
    Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

I used it for years with a horse that couldn't hold shoes. That combined with a hoof suppliment made my farrier very happy. (He no longer had to come every few weeks and replace shoes.) I would recommend it in a minute, and no, I don't have any affiliation with the manufacturers.
    Judy

Did not work for my ottb mare or my white hoofed WB but others swear by it.

What did work great and more for the dollar was LifeDataLabs Hoof Disinfectant, made their hooves hard, not shelly, and held shoes well.

Right now my farrier has me using crossapol, 4 weeks of use and doing well, 14 days straight of rain so we'll see how it works. (You save $10 a bottle buying a case of 12, btw)

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    Try searching the forums for "Keratex" and click the "Show Posts" option rather than the "Show Threads" option. You'll see lots of praise for this product, but some people prefer Durasole because it's cheaper.

Regarding Keratex's cost, it is pricey but you will get about one full year of regular use from a single bottle if you only use it on a single horse. Ask me how I know.
    Durasole and Keratex do different things. Keratex HARDENS the sole, Durasole THICKENS it. I've used both. Never saw Keratex do a thing for my horses (soles or walls either one). Durasole works great for exactly what I've used it for...thickening soles on a horse that was parred out too much and treating thrush.

Keratex has worked great for me. I've seen huge improvements in all of my horses...most OTTBs. I use it daily on some...more than the perscibed 1-2x a week...but it has become a mainstay of my program!

I WANT to believe that Keratex works...so much so that I've bought it, off and on, for the past 4-5 years. I really have to be honest with myself and say that it simply does nothing for the horses I've had in that time. I used it religiously, too, and tried both the gel (worthless) and the liquid (slightly better). I wish it worked, but feeding a biotin supplement seems to work so much better (strengthening from the inside out).
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

I love both the gel and liquid. My horses are out 24/7 and this rainy season I managed to keep their feet from crumbling by using the gel. The stuff stinks to high heaven, but it works!

It's always worked great for me. Keeps my horses feet solid and crack free. It creates a barrier that keeps the horses internal moisture from escaping, and keeps external moisture from getting in. Which keeps the moisture level in the foot consistant, which is what makes for a healthy foot.

Crossapol works great too, same concept.

works great! But it's a pain to use it correctly.

I have never tried it but most of my friends have. I have seen it work on some but I have also seen the hooves get shelly and brittle.

I have a VERY old school farrier who used to mostly do drafts (I met him while I was working with the Budweiser Clydesdales at a Busch Gardens here in VA)but he is wonderful and very knowledgeable. He told me way back then to do this. Get a heavy duty spray bottle and mix Turpentine (the cheap liquid stuff that you buy at lowes to remove paint) with pure neatsfoot oil 1/2 and 1/2, spray it on the soles and onthe outside walls everyday and you will notice a HUGE difference in their feet. I didn't believe him back then so we chose one clyde not to do it to for 6 weeks. After that I was a believer, I could actually see a huge difference between his feet and everyone elses.

I do it evey day and I probably will forever.
    Member of the Standardbreds with Saddles Clique!
    Sophie 11 yo Iberian Warmblood mare
    Seadog Man 11 yo STB gelding
    Our New Jet 7 yo STB Gelding

Used it for years, love it, it works. We are sub-tropical here in the summer and I have to use it 5 - 7x per week, but it does what it's advertised to do.

And I don't worry about drying the feet off before applying, my horses live out 24/7 and they would be spending hours on the cross ties. I just make sure the hooves are clean and brushed off, then slap it on to just above the nail holes. I finish grooming, tack up and go.

Thanks for all the replies! My mare has just one foot that we have problems with. We have tried every supplement available with no luck. I think I will try the turpentine and neatsfoot oil first...Ive heard of that but never knew of anyone that tried it. If that doesnt work we may try the keratex. I hate spring around here, but happy its finally warm again!
    "A horse is an Angel without wings"