The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fake Tail for a Curly Tail

My newest guy is a stunning 17.3 bay westphalian with no tail. He's alot of legs with a narrow build and a tail that goes to about his hocks. Its very thick, black and in serious need of a fake tail. The only pronlem is, fake tails are straight and my guys tail is curly. Not overwhelmingly curly but it spirals, when its brushed out its just a huge "poof". For the big shows I really need to get him a fake tail. Would it be possible to maybe put a few curlers in a fake tail? I can get a picture of his tail this afternoon but I was going over my show needs and relized I wasn't sure what to do. Any help? I'm in need!
    "Fifty years from now when you're looking back at your life don't you want to be able to say you had the guts to get back on that horse?"

You can do anything to a tail extension that you would do to a normal tail. Try contacting The Show Pen, they have fabulous extensions and outstanding customer service. I have been very happy with their tails. Perhaps they have a tail that would work well for you.

www.theshowpen.com
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

If you wanted to do spirals, you'd have to use something like rods to spiral the hair around, vs curlers. There are rods out there that you can find thru the beauty supplies for exactly that. Wet the hair, wrap it around the rods then leave to dry. You'd have to let it relax a little before it would fall naturally, I'd expect, just like with human hair. And you'd have to experiment a bit to decide if you needed to use some sort of setting lotion as well.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Quote Originally Posted by Anyplace Farm View Post
    If you wanted to do spirals, you'd have to use something like rods to spiral the hair around, vs curlers. There are rods out there that you can find thru the beauty supplies for exactly that. Wet the hair, wrap it around the rods then leave to dry. You'd have to let it relax a little before it would fall naturally, I'd expect, just like with human hair. And you'd have to experiment a bit to decide if you needed to use some sort of setting lotion as well.
    You've got to be kidding...
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

Why don't you wet it and put a couple of braids in it

Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    You've got to be kidding...
    I am laughing too??!!
    Steph

http://community.webshots.com/user/stephanne014

Rerider/Haydunker Clique

RIP Barbaro, you were my hero!

Well, the girl wants a curly tail. Curlers ain't gonna cut it ladies. She asked, I answered. Any better suggestions?

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Get thee to your professional braider.

Lots of tails that I've seen are wavy in parts and straight in parts. I wouldn't worry too much about curling the thing. Just get one that matches an install it properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Default Why not do what the real hunters do!

Instead of doing the "My Pretty Little Pony" nonsense, just crop the tail at the hock. Very handsome and appropriate. Field hunters (where y'all got your start!) wouldn't be caught dead in a fake tail. But then again, they also have to cover ground with their trots, not look comatose!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheel Whip View Post
    Instead of doing the "My Pretty Little Pony" nonsense, just crop the tail at the hock. Very handsome and appropriate. Field hunters (where y'all got your start!) wouldn't be caught dead in a fake tail. But then again, they also have to cover ground with their trots, not look comatose!
    I think the tail-cutting freaks me out more than the thought of curlers.

But then again, they also have to cover ground with their trots, not look comatose!
    Perhaps you're thinking of the Western Pleasure fake tail atrocities?

Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

No, actually I'm thinking of the last hunter flat class I saw(VT Summer). Not even AQHA but very similar to Western Pleasure. Obediant does not mean slow as poop!

No, actually I'm thinking of the last hunter flat class I saw(VT Summer). Not even AQHA but very similar to Western Pleasure. Obediant does not mean slow as poop!
    That's a shame. Out here in the midwest, we really motor around in our flat classes. I wish that slow was the way to go -- I would have to squeeze less!

I must say, I've yet to witness a slow race for the blue. We all motor around in CT, get that trot to cover 2 horse lengths. I do not wish to cut his tail at his hocks, that's where it is about right now, he's quite tall so a fake tail comes well above his fetlocks. His tail really doesn't "curl" so curlers weren't really what I meant, it spirals. A friend of mine braids professionally and I can ask her what she's seen, of course I do have a retired bay gelding with a spiraly black tail
    I'm just going to order a regular black one, try to brush out the spirals and see how it looks. Ill let ya know.
    "Fifty years from now when you're looking back at your life don't you want to be able to say you had the guts to get back on that horse?"

Wow, I show in Vt. and have never witnessed such a class. Western Pleasure certainly wouldn't win it!

Seriously, someone cares how long the horse's tail is? Wash it. Brush it. Ride the darn horse.

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    Seriously, someone cares how long the horse's tail is? Wash it. Brush it. Ride the darn horse.
    Don't brush it -- that will make it shorter

Why not just leave it alone? Or only show in the rain and put it in a mud knot, no one will know

If it's really thick, it should grow out nicely within a year or so. If he's stunning no one is going to be paying attention to his tail anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by barka.lounger View Post
    u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

I am sure we have all encountered those incredibly picky judges. I just put alot of pride in having my horse correctly turned out for a show, especially the upscale As.

Have you thought about keeping it in a tail bag? When I got my current horse she had a thin tail that just barely made it to her hocks, thanks to her neighbor's taste for tail. I bit the bullet, put it up in a bag, and in less than a year her tail was down to her fetlocks and fairly full. Her tail now stays in a bag all of the time. I do use a tail extension at shows, but I show the breed circuit where they are the norm. The extension just adds fullness to her tail.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010