The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help pick my barn color!

Want to help design my barn?? We're signing the contract in a couple of days and I'm still clueless about color. We live on a pretty main road out in the open and the barn will be close to the house so I think I'd like it to blend in with the house colors. So no bright red barns (even though I love them SO much!). I need a color for the roof, siding, dutch door crossbucks and other trim. We aren't doing wainscoting and it will be a pretty small barn. Eventually we'd love to add stone wainscoting on at least part of it, but that will be years down the road. I just don't want something that ends up looking white after it's built. It's like the interior paint effect... it looks dark on the chip then once it's on the wall it looks like you've hardly changed anything! Here are the metal colors and a couple pics of my house.

http://www.mcelroymetal.com/elements.../MM210-608.pdf

http://tinyurl.com/ksysal

a little bit closer look at the color
    http://tinyurl.com/l47j6j

I like dark gray with forest green and white trim for barns.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Like you, I have a brick house. Traditional light-colored brick with white trim.
    Not far from the house is a metal-sided garden shed - tan metal.
    I picked the color for my barn's metal siding as close to the color of the house brick & shed siding as my builder offered.
    I added dark burgundy for roof, trim & crossbucks.

That said, if I had wanted a red barn I would have built one!
    IMO a red barn goes with any other structure on the farm.
    Crisp white for trim, crossbucks, etc and a traditional shingle roof (if that's in the budget) is a good look for anyplace.
    The brick on your house looks to be gray from the pic - why not a red barn with that?

Can you fool around with pics - either on the computer or with snapshots - and place a red barn next to your house to see if you can live with the combination?
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Ooh la la!! I tied my barn in with my house. I put a border of the same stone used on my house, around the bottom of my barn(about 2' up the outside wall). Would that be possible for you? If you can do that, I would go white barn, the metal that best matches your stone for your roof(clay? surrey beige? light stone?), and then whatever color your shutters on your house are, for your crossbars. How does that sound??

If you're hoping to put on stone that will mimic the house at some point in the future, what I'd probably do is-

Roof as close as you can get to the same color as the roof of the house.

Trim- white (or whatever shade your garage door, etc. are on the house) with some highlights the same as the shutters(?) on the house. (I think having ALL the trim that darker color might be a bit overwhelming)

Siding - Something light that picks up one of the lighter shades in the stone. Maybe a tan or a light grey? I think properly white can sometimes look kind of overwhelming (particularly if it's sunny) plus as someone who owns a white car, it looks REALLY AWFUL when it gets dirty, and who wants to spend all their time cleaning the walls of the barn because they're dusty?

But that way, when you put the stone on later, it should blend nicely and you'll also avoid having a really harsh line where the white siding meets the stone.

Default mine is cream/tan with hunter green

The roof is the cream color and the sides are with the hunter green molding and it has held up great. The lighter roof and sides make it cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry roan View Post
    Ooh la la!! I tied my barn in with my house. I put a border of the same stone used on my house, around the bottom of my barn(about 2' up the outside wall). Would that be possible for you? If you can do that, I would go white barn, the metal that best matches your stone for your roof(clay? surrey beige? light stone?), and then whatever color your shutters on your house are, for your crossbars. How does that sound??
    Sounds gorgeous... if only we had the money to add the stone! That will definitely have to wait, but ultimately that's the look we want. Do you have pics of yours?

I'd go for the Ash gray, with black trim and the charcoal roof. Black roof gets too hot. It would look great with your house.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Appears by your dark house roof that you live up north - so a darker roof to retain heat and melt snow/ice is in order.

So I'd probably go with the Ash gray walls and either red or wine roof (appears house is conservative so perhaps the wine colored roof, black, brown is too boring for me).

Or maybe have the barn roof match the house shutters to pull it all together?
    Last edited by Valentina_32926; Jun. 2, 2009 at 03:21 PM. Reason: typo
    Now in Kentucky

Thanks for all of the input. My concern with the roof is that although I do live in Indiana and get cold winters, we also still get 90-100 degree summer days here too! We will have 2 ridge vents and a cupola, but no vapor barrier. According to our barn guy, we shouldn't go too dark because it would be a furnace in the summer. He said a vapor barrier helps prevent this, but it's sadly not in the budget. So I guess I don't know how dark is too dark. Does anyone in a similar climate have experience with a darker roof?

And I guess I should have added (probably kind of important since I asked for color advice ) the shutters and light fixtures are now white.

Brandywine & Hartford look very sharp together. Ask me how I know

Enjoy your new playhouse.
    "Dressage" is just a fancy word for flatwork

I would make the roof the same color as the house. The siding the light stone and the trim either the ash gray or the clay to pull those colors out of the stone on your house.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Hey Fellow Hoosier!
    Where in IN are you?
    I'm just outside Crown Point so if you wanted to do a drive-by and stop at my place you are more than welcome.

I don't know who your builder is, I used FBI out of Remington and couldn't be happier.
    From the time the excavation for the base was completed, the entire barn w/attached arena went up & ready for horses to move in within 3 weeks. This included 2 stalls also supplied by FBI.

If you haven't already contracted with someone send me a PM and I'll give you the name/# of my FBI guy. He was awesome - even babysat me through applying for the variances I needed to get my building permit.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Hey Fellow Hoosier!
    Where in IN are you?
    I'm just outside Crown Point so if you wanted to do a drive-by and stop at my place you are more than welcome.

I don't know who your builder is, I used FBI out of Remington and couldn't be happier.
    From the time the excavation for the base was completed, the entire barn w/attached arena went up & ready for horses to move in within 3 weeks. This included 2 stalls also supplied by FBI.

If you haven't already contracted with someone send me a PM and I'll give you the name/# of my FBI guy. He was awesome - even babysat me through applying for the variances I needed to get my building permit.
    Hey there! I actually used to live in Northwest Indiana... lived in lake station and portage and worked in lakes of the four seasons. I live in central Indiana now. I got a quote from FBI since I had heard good things about them and it was about 7k over the quote I'm going with!