The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spin-off from washing blankets - storing them

I really don't want to leave my blankets (assuming that I at some point get around to cleaning them) folded up in the garage because we have little rodent beasts out there and they've been known to chew holes in things. Plus we have black widow spiders out there.

I've been trying to come up with some solution that would let me hang them up - although that's not going to address the black widow problem.

So... how do you guys with 5 bazillion blankets store them for the summer?
    Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
    "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

After I do my whole end of season cleaning/repair etc I have a certain way that I pack my blankets.I'm in Fl, we have lots of crawlies and spiders etc, and every year my blankets come out nice and clean and fresh with no ickies.

Take the blanket and lay it on the floor, folded in half on the back seam as if it were on the horse with the horses left side up. Straighten it out and lay the surcingles, leg straps etc up on the side of the blanket.
    Get two dryer sheets. (dryer sheets are great for keeping bugs out)
    Put one dryer sheet in the very center of the blanket. Take the top third and fold in, then put another dryer sheet on top of that. Then fold the bottom third up to the center.
    Go to the chest end and roll the blanket up tightly like a sleeping bag.
    Tie tightly with baling twine and store.
    You can put them in those big ziploc bags or whatever you like. I have all mine rolled up neatly in a little cabinet in my tack room.

This works great because the blankets take up less space and are easy to move around etc without having to refold them each time. I usually also take a piece of duct tape or masking tape and stick it on the blanket and write the size/horses name on it.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

After they are clean, I wrap them in shrink wrap. This year I put the shrink wrapped blankets in big plastic trunks in the garage. Last year they went in big plastic bags under my bed.

After cleaned, I fold them up and use the giant Ziploc storage bags (the ones that don't require a vaccum). Then they are placed in Rubbermaid bins. Works very well for me and all the bags are labeled... nice and organized
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

Thanks, guys.

I really like the dryer sheet idea. I use those for flying insects in my helmet & on the horses' browbands sometimes.

I guess it's time to think about washing the blankets...
    Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
    "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

I put 1 tbsp of pinesol in the wash and have never had a creepy crawlys in any of my horse laundry. I use the pinesol in every load of horse stuff-leg wraps, etc. Keeps it fresh for the next season or just plain clean for now.
    Don't toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsperson View Post
    After they are clean, I wrap them in shrink wrap. This year I put the shrink wrapped blankets in big plastic trunks in the garage. Last year they went in big plastic bags under my bed.
    Great storage place idea under the bed- only a true horse person would put them there! i fold mine up and keep them in the plastic zip bags that I got my bedding/pillows in. Those bags are great storage for horse blankets, sheets, coolers, and saddle pads. Since they are heavy clear plastic they last a season or two, and you can easily see the contents.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

I put mine in clear plastic bins, loosely folded with lavender buds sprinkled in every layer and on top and bottom.

They always come out clean and smelling lovely - fun to smell the lavender on that first cold night!

Default Hay

This may not help with spiders but an idea.

I took plumbing pipe and made a long "U" shaped piece.

L________] Like that.

I used the elbows and pieces of the pipe to create that shape. I place a flange at each end. (I think it's a flange?) THen I screwed that to the ceiling of the barn. So it hangs down like a pipe thing in your closet. Then I use the trouser hangers. I fold the blankets in half and hang them up like clothes in a closet. Large, heavier blankets need two trouser hangers.

This is a super way to keep them organized, you can get at them easily throughout the year. I hang coolers, light sheets and anti-sweat sheets here too.

It doesn't stop the creepy crawlies but we don't have any dangerous creepie crawlies. It does stop the mice...
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

I store exactly as Appychic does. Love those giant Ziploc bags!

If you come up with a way to store them hanging and covered be sure to post it. I would love to be able to hang all of the sheets and blankets (about 60 of them) in a neat, orderly, covered fashion but haven't been able to come up with any brilliant ideas.
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

Default Hay

theoldgreymare said: "If you come up with a way to store them hanging and covered be sure to post it. I would love to be able to hang all of the sheets and blankets (about 60 of them) in a neat, orderly, covered fashion but haven't been able to come up with any brilliant ideas."

Possibly do my suggestion but use old garment bags? Or you could do the ziploc thing and poke a hole in the bag for the hanger to poke out of? Just a suggestion.
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

I love the dryer sheet idea and will be adding that this summer. I used to use the mega Ziploc bags, which I liked well enough although they're a bit cumbersome to carry around when packed. Last year I bought several comforter storage bags from my drycleaner, at $5/each. They have sort of a fabric mesh strip along the side, to be more breathable. The blankets came out great last winter, so I'm quite happy with them.

I also store them with dryer sheets tucked in between.

But I place them in big plastic containers I get at the dollar store, and store them above the cabinets in my tack room.

I fold mine up and store them in Rubbermaid totes. I label the outside of each tote with either the horses' name who owns the blankets or the size/type of blankets that are in them. Stack the totes on shelves in barn...done.

I have an old chest freezer stuffed with a lot. I'm currently keeping an eye out for another.

Quote Originally Posted by equusus View Post
    I fold mine up and store them in Rubbermaid totes. I label the outside of each tote with either the horses' name who owns the blankets or the size/type of blankets that are in them. Stack the totes on shelves in barn...done.

Me too!

When I break down & order from Dover Saddlery, I always get a few of the blanket storage bags they sell. They have various sizes, all of which I find useful.

Current in-use sheets go into a rubbermaid tub after being put into a bag. Out of season sheets go into a bag, then into one of two steamer trunks.

Sometimes I remember to write the sizes on the outside of the bag.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

We wash, re-waterproof those we already know are necessary. I personally from there stuff a dryer sheet as mentioned into the center, fold, and tie in a garbage bag (clear). Or I often have the original clear zip bag the blanket came in and use that. Then I put them in a sealed rubbermaid tote. No creepy crawlies or mousie nibbles yet!

Quote Originally Posted by pines4equines View Post
    theoldgreymare said: "If you come up with a way to store them hanging and covered be sure to post it. I would love to be able to hang all of the sheets and blankets (about 60 of them) in a neat, orderly, covered fashion but haven't been able to come up with any brilliant ideas."

Possibly do my suggestion but use old garment bags? Or you could do the ziploc thing and poke a hole in the bag for the hanger to poke out of? Just a suggestion.

Tried handing the ziplocs and, although they have a hanging hole built in, the seal opens when you hang them. I was thinking about your suggestion but using the giant sized contractor garbage bags to cover the blankets with. Poke a small hole for the hanger, slip the hanger through and the bags are big enough that I could knot the bottoms to keep creepy crawlies out. Thanks pines4, I think that may work. Now to get DH to build your blanket hanging apparatus!
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

I put them in fairly clean feed bags and throw them in the attic above the garage. It is hot and dry there.