The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best Browbands...give your opinion

I am needing (listen to me...I really just want ) to buy a browband for a headstall and decided that instead of the plain black leather ones, I thought that I might try a little bling bling or something different.

I am personally undecided between the black stone alternating with a crystal, black patent leather or silver clincher/ rice beads.

So..., I have been attending a few shows and checking out other peoples bridles. While I know I personally don't want anything that resembles a tiara, what browband styles do you prefer, have you seen one that really stuck in your mind, or even one that you just had to have?

Also, share your favorite with or without pictures. This could be interesting...
    Last edited by MeggieMoe; Jun. 1, 2009 at 04:03 PM.

Try contacting COTHer "Ibex"..... www.finethingsequine.com. She makes beautiful custom browbands!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

There's another recent thread about bling browbands -- try a search.

My favorite is Jayne at www.txwarmbloods.com. She'll also custom design for you based on your horse and preferences if you don't see what you like on her website. If I were using the same browband on several horses I would definitely get her input on suggestions for something that would work well on all three.

Sorry, I did a search for browbands but nothing stood out but that doesn't mean I didn't miss it. I know I put in there that I was looking but meant it more as to what everyone liked or saw that just stuck with them, not as to where I can get one made. I thought this would be a fun thread to show off your bridle's browband.

Sorry if there was confusion.

I love my browband (s) from simple change. (simplechangebrowbands.com)

I have 5 chains that you clip in and out of the browband, depending on my mood for the day. I picked out the beads for each chain, and there are jewelery clasps on each end, and you just hook them on the rings in the browband.

You can get thousands of different beads, pick out what ever you want. They make dog collars too.

Once you buy the leather browband, the chains are relatively inexpensive ($20-30) each.

I love love love mine.

Quote Originally Posted by MeggieMoe View Post

I am personally undecided between the black stone alternating with a crystal, black patent leather or silver clincher/ rice beads.
    I think it depends on the color of your horse. Also, patent leather sounds a little saddle seat to me.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Default POH

This is mine, in sapphire on a chestnut with a huge blaze. I have a matching stock pin too.

http://www.peopleonhorses.com/Hampton%20(new).htm
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Here's a link to the most complete list of browband makers that I have ever seen.

I also highly recommend Jayne!

Agree that patent leather is a saddlebred thing.

http://www.behindthebitblog.com/2008...browbands.html

I've found that the more intricate browbands aren't worth it - they can't really be seen from a distance. I've got several horses in these, from www.advancedsaddlefit.com, and they are ah-MAZING. Incredible colors, great quality leather, and very reasonably priced!

http://pinkequine.com/acatalog/Leisure_Browbands.html

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
    Try contacting COTHer "Ibex"..... www.finethingsequine.com. She makes beautiful custom browbands!
    Thanks for the plug!!! Someday I'll even get a proper website up. (and wait'll you see the pics of the next ones... one uber-blingy one in Red & White, and another subtle one in real black pearls and tiny AB Crystals... yummy and nicely understated if I do say so myself!). For now we're just on Facebook under the group "Fine Things Equine"

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...0_172211_n.jpg

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._1789312_n.jpg

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...386_846572.jpg

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...74_6683196.jpg

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...73_7204666.jpg

(BTW... be sure to admire the lovely logo done by FG. There's a ton of talent on this board!!! )
    Last edited by Ibex; Jun. 1, 2009 at 06:37 PM.
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

I have to say that browbands just don't make it on to my radar. Horses are etched on my memory, but that's ALL that makes an impression. In fact I really don't want to notice tack.

I think the "bling" browbands are beautiful and can make a statement...but if you are showing and have a horse that tends to tilt his head or is not steady, you are only calling for attention from the judge....and not in a good way

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by eggbutt View Post
    My favorite is Jayne at www.txwarmbloods.com. She'll also custom design for you based on your horse and preferences if you don't see what you like on her website. If I were using the same browband on several horses I would definitely get her input on suggestions for something that would work well on all three.
    I had Jayne custom make a browband for me for my driving bridle. I only have one photo where the angle on the horse allows you to see it, and you can barely see it, but it is absolutely gorgeous. She does wonderful, quality work.

Default Crown Jewels Design

Last year I purchased a stunning custom browband and matching stock pin from Janet. She came up with designs based on the description of my horse and my preferences and then I worked with her to refine the designs. The result was absolutely beautiful!

www.crownjewelsdesign.com

I agree that intricate beading often doesn't translate to great show ring viewing, that's part of a designer's job -- impact at a distance.

I've been making seed-bead browbands (and more recently dog collars) for a couple of years and while I really like the sparkly crystal stuff (People on Horses ... I'd wear it myself!), Blackhorse browbands are my favorite. The leather quality is very good and the workmanship is wonderful. Plus, I really like the design options.

http://www.blackhorseleather.com/browbandspg1.html

Default Tx warmbloods/high point designs

Hi,

I spent a looong time looking at browbands and did the list at http://www.behindthebitblog.com/2008...browbands.html which has already been mentioned. If you go to that site, make sure to review the comments b/c additional resources are listed there by readers.

I bought my browband from txwarmbloods (great price, customizable, really lovely). I really LOVED a site called jumper browbands which seems to be defunct. :-(

SK
    http://behindthebitblog.com
    Dressage, riding, sport horse blog
    BTBbrowbands.com
    Unique browbands for dressage and hunter riders

How come they never give you the measurements of the opening where the band goes on the bridle? I purchased one years ago and threw it away as it didn't fit the bridle. Plus my "Cob" size horse uses a horse size browband and many of those sites don't list the length of the browband?

So I gave up for my snaffle bridle and purchased a browband for my double locally so I know it fits the mare and the bridle!
    Sandy in Fla.

I honestly like the more plain "bling" browbands. I'm also looking at a nickel clincher (rice clincher I think) for my guy, but like brass on the right color too.

I've also seen some lovely sterling silver beaded ones that I prefer to the crystals. Most of the blingy websites that people have posted have a couple of browbands that are sterling silver beads or non crystal beads. I like those better.

The beauty of the clincher browbands is that you can generally find them for under $30. Woo!

It's totally up to you though, obviously = ) I don't think I've seen a patent leather one in dressage though. Does it have a patent inset?

Quote Originally Posted by onceandfuture View Post
    Last year I purchased a stunning custom browband and matching stock pin from Janet. She came up with designs based on the description of my horse and my preferences and then I worked with her to refine the designs. The result was absolutely beautiful!

www.crownjewelsdesign.com
    Janet is wonderful. I already have a designed picked out if my baby quits growing.