The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar. 13, 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    457

    Default Lumber River?

    There may not be many of us competing, but I'm sure excited to be going back to the CHP after not riding there for a couple of years! Love galloping around this place!

    Anyone else going?



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov. 19, 2005
    Location
    Lost in the Sandhills of NC
    Posts
    2,596

    Default

    Welcome back! I'll be there!

    Love the courses this year for Lumber River- we are using a bit of the park that the lower levels don't normally travel on so it should be fun!

    I admit the entry situation is disappointing, but what is far more frustrating are the number of people who have asked about late entries. We were forced to make some decisions on closing day to insure the event was viable and able to take place. Wish somene would explain why, if you can't afford to enter prior to closing date, which allows organizers to plan properly, you can afford to enter after closing date. I know, in talking with other organizers, this is becoming an all too familiar scenario, and it is bound to result in someone being upset somewhere.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    May. 23, 2006
    Posts
    5,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pegasusmom View Post
    Welcome back! I'll be there!

    Love the courses this year for Lumber River- we are using a bit of the park that the lower levels don't normally travel on so it should be fun!

    I admit the entry situation is disappointing, but what is far more frustrating are the number of people who have asked about late entries. We were forced to make some decisions on closing day to insure the event was viable and able to take place. Wish somene would explain why, if you can't afford to enter prior to closing date, which allows organizers to plan properly, you can afford to enter after closing date. I know, in talking with other organizers, this is becoming an all too familiar scenario, and it is bound to result in someone being upset somewhere.


    I think people are in the mind set that events are now desperate and very willing to accept entries after the closing date...and with the fickle soundness issues of event horses, it makes sense to wait until you are sure you will be able to compete instead of losing the entry if something comes up and you cannot compete. Not a great positions for organizers but perceived to be a great situation for riders. The downside to this thought process is that more events will end up cancelling because of lack of funds at the right time and when they are needed the most. This has a knock down effect with those who have entered on the opening date being left with a cancelled event and these riders are less likely next time to send entries in early whilst they wait for confirmation that the event will actually start.


    There has to be trust and goodwill from both parties.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    May. 9, 2007
    Location
    Carthage, NC
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pegasusmom View Post
    Wish somene would explain why, if you can't afford to enter prior to closing date, which allows organizers to plan properly, you can afford to enter after closing date.
    One paramount reason is because a one-day horse trial is much more feasible in a myriad of ways than a full weekend. I'm not at all surprised that a number of people wanted to enter late once it was announced that Lumber River was becoming a one-day.

    For individuals who are close enough to drive, a one-day horse trial is one less day of driving back and forth. For people who must stay in a hotel overnight, it is one less night of paying for a hotel and meals. For those with kids or a work schedule to balance, it is one less day of pandemonium to mitigate. For junior riders, it is one less day for parents to figure out schedule and care for the other siblings.

    Even for horse trials that run over several days, having all three phases for a level on one day tends to make it much easier for riders to enter. Those with one horse can spend a minimum amount of time at the event, and those with horses at different levels will be there for multiple days, anyway (i.e., Prelim on Sat, Novice on Sun, instead of D/SJ on Sat and XC on Sun for both horses).

    In short, a one-day horse trial will typically be a greater possibility for many riders. I'm sure having this offered will be greatly appreciated by competitors. Perhaps something to think about for future events.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    May. 23, 2006
    Posts
    5,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenbaer View Post
    One paramount reason is because a one-day horse trial is much more feasible in a myriad of ways than a full weekend. I'm not at all surprised that a number of people wanted to enter late once it was announced that Lumber River was becoming a one-day.

    For individuals who are close enough to drive, a one-day horse trial is one less day of driving back and forth. For people who must stay in a hotel overnight, it is one less night of paying for a hotel and meals. For those with kids or a work schedule to balance, it is one less day of pandemonium to mitigate. For junior riders, it is one less day for parents to figure out schedule and care for the other siblings.

    Even for horse trials that run over several days, having all three phases for a level on one day tends to make it much easier for riders to enter. Those with one horse can spend a minimum amount of time at the event, and those with horses at different levels will be there for multiple days, anyway (i.e., Prelim on Sat, Novice on Sun, instead of D/SJ on Sat and XC on Sun for both horses).

    In short, a one-day horse trial will typically be a greater possibility for many riders. I'm sure having this offered will be greatly appreciated by competitors. Perhaps something to think about for future events.


    could not agree more! The opportunity for a rider to get to a one day...and be finished in a few hours is a far greater appeal...and makes better sense financially for all concerned.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov. 19, 2005
    Location
    Lost in the Sandhills of NC
    Posts
    2,596

    Default

    Just don't complain when you get told the event is full and your late entry can't be accepted. Number of entries is dictated basically by the length of daylight available to run XC, the number of rides judges can judge and the amount of abuse you want to place on your volunteers.

    Damned if you do, damned if you don't and I, like many of my counterparts, am getting less and less enthralled with the idea of being an organizer. . .



  7. #7
    Join Date
    May. 23, 2006
    Posts
    5,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pegasusmom View Post
    Just don't complain when you get told the event is full and your late entry can't be accepted. Number of entries is dictated basically by the length of daylight available to run XC, the number of rides judges can judge and the amount of abuse you want to place on your volunteers.

    Damned if you do, damned if you don't and I, like many of my counterparts, am getting less and less enthralled with the idea of being an organizer. . .


    Sadly a late entry not being accepted is far more acceptable than forking out for an event that may or may not run, a lame horse, added expenses for a simple training, novive, or BN horse trial being run over three days. Not in this ecomony, no way. True one day events...held on one day...will very much be subcribed, that I am sure. We should be thinking of ways to get those entries filled so that the rider and organizer benefit from the experience. Stabling, petrol/desel, entries, etc add up quickly and are beyond some right now....or some are just not able to gamble the expense. It seems many companies are changing the way they do business so that everyone benefits as much a possible during these challenging times. I think horse trials organizers should be thinking along these same lines. I very much bow down to those organizers, support team, etc for the work they do....been there done that....but wouldn't it be in everyone's best interest to endorse a format that is most likely to be subscribed.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar. 13, 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    457

    Default

    Hey pegasusmom, Any idea when ride times will be up... trying to organize a mass migration of spectators and riders from Raleigh to Southern Pines is not as easy as I'd once hoped!



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov. 19, 2005
    Location
    Lost in the Sandhills of NC
    Posts
    2,596

    Default

    Secretary Abbey is working on them as I type so I would expect within the next 24 hours. Stay tuned!



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep. 20, 2004
    Posts
    1,045

    Default

    I agree 200% with everyone else. I would love to be able to do a recognized event, but there's no way I could afford to lose that much money if an event decided not to run for whatever reason. A one day event is so much more feasible for many people. If doing a one day lets you not have to stable, that's ~$150 in your pocket. I love the idea of having your whole division on one day as well.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar. 13, 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pegasusmom View Post
    Secretary Abbey is working on them as I type so I would expect within the next 24 hours. Stay tuned!
    Thanks much! Now if only my farrier would call me back so we can actually ride beforehand!



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug. 17, 2001
    Location
    Hangin' on by a thread...
    Posts
    3,329

    Default

    Don't give up organizing, Dana! It will be a sad day indeed if you decide that the stress isn't worth it .

    Lumber River has always been a GREAT event. I'm sorry that you had to struggle for entries. If it helps any, I will give you my reason for not competing this year (although I have competed there the last three years). It's too d@mn hot. Really. Every year, there is a heat wave with tons of humidity and the heat indexes rise sky high, and I decided that after last year, it wasn't any fun to run in the heat. I'm not complaining- please don't think that. There isn't anything you guys can do about the heat, seeing as it's June in NC, and you all do a fabulous job of providing misters, water, etc. Is it possible to run Lumber River in May, instead of June? It only recently started getting unbearably hot around here - most of May is lovely. I'm sure there is a good explanation having to do with the USEA about why Lumber River isn't run in May, but I'd be interested in knowing it.

    Anyway, hope you guys have a great show and thank you so much for all that you do! I wish I could be there jump judging, but hubby has declared it an unofficial holiday for us.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

    So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep. 11, 2008
    Location
    Hot Springs, VA
    Posts
    696

    Default

    I will be there volunteering in SJ warmup-Can't wait!!!!!!!



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar. 13, 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    457

    Default

    ahhh... 8:06 ride time and a 2.5 hour drive to get there! Looks like I will be leaving at 3:30 am- boo! Luckily I will be competely done by 11:15!



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct. 23, 2002
    Location
    Down Under!!!
    Posts
    1,275

    Default

    Roki

    You can always come here friday and stay at our place! Really, we would be happy to have you.



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar. 13, 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eventrider View Post
    Roki

    You can always come here friday and stay at our place! Really, we would be happy to have you.
    I may just take you up on that. I'll get your number from Tara and work things out.

    Thanks!



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov. 9, 2006
    Location
    Charlotte
    Posts
    37

    Default

    I will be there riding my sassy little red pony! its his first real outing since 5points in the fall.. and we are hoping to put our work in the dressage ring to the test! I can not wait to see the new courses! and Dana and Abbey and the horse park crew always do such a good job!!



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb. 22, 2000
    Location
    passepartout
    Posts
    10,164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Sadly a late entry not being accepted is far more acceptable than forking out for an event that may or may not run, a lame horse, added expenses for a simple training, novive, or BN horse trial being run over three days. Not in this ecomony, no way. True one day events...held on one day...will very much be subcribed, that I am sure. We should be thinking of ways to get those entries filled so that the rider and organizer benefit from the experience. Stabling, petrol/desel, entries, etc add up quickly and are beyond some right now....or some are just not able to gamble the expense. It seems many companies are changing the way they do business so that everyone benefits as much a possible during these challenging times. I think horse trials organizers should be thinking along these same lines. I very much bow down to those organizers, support team, etc for the work they do....been there done that....but wouldn't it be in everyone's best interest to endorse a format that is most likely to be subscribed.


    I would love to see the one-day format be the norm for horse trials. it's not just less expensive for the competitor, it's a better introduction to eventing at the lower levels for both horses and riders.

    A BN one day HT is a great educational tool for the horse. A BN HT held over three days is a waste of time and money.



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug. 4, 2002
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Also, getting late entries affects size of divisions. We had already ordered ribbons, etc. for our homegrown trial and all of a sudden, we had 16 entries in BN alone. We just couldn't divide the classes because we had no extra ribbons and some competitors remarked about us not dividing levels into 2 divisions.



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov. 19, 2005
    Location
    Lost in the Sandhills of NC
    Posts
    2,596

    Default

    Ummm. Yes it is all so easy to organize. . . from the armchair. Ribbons, division size, commitments to officials, a myriad of little things. . . anytime anyone wants to step into my sneakers come on down. Bring adult beverages with!!



Similar Threads

  1. Lumber River Horse Trials
    By piaffequeen in forum Eventing
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Jun. 13, 2012, 07:39 PM
  2. Slate River???
    By Harly166 in forum Eventing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Sep. 21, 2011, 12:50 PM
  3. Which lumber do you prefer for stall walls?
    By Romany in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: Oct. 27, 2010, 02:02 PM
  4. River to River Hunt Club
    By lms671 in forum Hunting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jun. 30, 2010, 04:29 PM
  5. Treated Lumber Okay for a Stall??
    By King's Ransom in forum Off Course
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Apr. 30, 2009, 04:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness