The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Childrens Hunter Pony Price Range

Whats the average price range for a Children's Large Pony Hunter?
    The pony 10 years old and is 14.1 7/8 with a permanent card. Can win in the Hunter, Jumper, and Eq ring in the same day. Has his changes and he does them for anyone, little SS kids and more experienced riders. Jumps cute enough that he could do the Regular Larges with a little more work. He does need a warm up, but doesn't do anything stupid and once he gets over one fence he will jump pretty much anything else. Super quiet and can win in the Jumper Ring and go straight into lead-line (we did it yesterday, and won in both rings)

What do you think would be an average asking price for this pony? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Where are you located? How does the pony move? Does he have the step to do the regular division? Is he still eligible green?

35k is usually tops for a childrens pony and that's for the proven winner at good shows.

3500 to 35k depending on quality and where it has made that show record.

If he actually has the quality and movement to do the Regular Larges at a USEF A rated, it could be more, especially still eligible Green with that kind of mileage BUT you would have to prove the claims by actually showing at that level and pinning well repeatedly.

If he has been mainly local or regional affiliate and is largely unknown on a national level and you do not have anybody helping you market it that knows people willing to spend much? It's whatever you can get for him. Market ain't too good for any but the top or the famous packer level stuff.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Agree, what rated shows? Is he still eligable green? Can he make the lines in reg.? Anywhere from 2000 and up. If its local no rating shows where his company is nothing fancy and only 4 or 5 in his class then 2000-6000 but rated shows, say A's then 30 and up.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Quote Originally Posted by EAY View Post
    Where are you located? How does the pony move? Does he have the step to do the regular division? Is he still eligible green?

He is in the New England area. Hes a very cute mover and has won the hack every time out in the childrens ponies. He can get the step for the regulars no problem. And he is still eligible green. All the shows I have taken I have to have been USEF A or B rated with pretty solid competition. He has always come home with a Champion or Reserve. I havent shown him in the larges just because I am big on him (im 17 and 5'8") and it just looks a little funny. I might have a friend show him in the regulars at Head of the Bay in July hopefully. If not I will take him in the childrens.

depends entirely on your area !

here in NJ, a good large children's pony will run anywhere from 35k-60K. the 35k ponies being the ones that either need a little bit more work, or they are limited in their abilities (say, theyre nice steady hunters, but they cannot jump higher than 2'6'' or something, limiting them from ever moving up. may be due to age or past injury, or just not having the scope. OR, they're good steady horses, can win locally and at C shows, but might not have as much luck at an AA show unless they put in a really stellar round). a friend of mine bought a children's hunter for 40k and wins at everything, goes to indoors, but she bought her mare in MD, where the market may or may not be different. but either way, if she sold this horse here in NJ today, it would sell for around 60k. but the higher priced ponies are generally the packers and easy winners, and generally are the ones with the potential and ability to move up to the greens and regulars.
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Sounds like a nice guy. Has he ever shown regulars? If so how'd he do? With what your saying I'd say anywhere from 30-40K depending on your market there right now.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Quote Originally Posted by HowDoILook View Post
    He is in the New England area. Hes a very cute mover and has won the hack every time out in the childrens ponies. He can get the step for the regulars no problem. And he is still eligible green. All the shows I have taken I have to have been USEF A or B rated with pretty solid competition. He has always come home with a Champion or Reserve. I havent shown him in the larges just because I am big on him (im 17 and 5'8") and it just looks a little funny. I might have a friend show him in the regulars at Head of the Bay in July hopefully. If not I will take him in the childrens.
    Wait til December to break his green.
    As far as pricing--things are not at a good time these days.. we are getting roughly 50% of what we could get for ponies last summer. Tough times, so do not overprice. And what an individual can get verses what a BNT in a Big Name Barn can get are generally two different things.
    Windswept Stables-Specializing in Ponies
    Sales, Breaking,Training,Showing, Stud Service

Home of 2008 Sire of Year Reserve Champion
    Pony Hunter Breeding - Empires Power

www.EmpiresPower.com

The market is very soft so be cautious with your pricing. Without seeing your pony but based on the description and the current market (flooded with ponies) I would think you would get closer to 20K than 40K, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by keepthelegend View Post
    35k is usually tops for a childrens pony and that's for the proven winner at good shows.
    35k tops for a winning large? That is where it would start.

Ponies in New England tend to be pretty pricey if they are easy and cute. If you really want top dollar for the pony as a children's pony hunter, I wouldn't show him/ her in the pony jumpers any more, I'd focus on just showing in the pony hunters and equitation. If people see the pony in the jumpers, they may assume it is hot, even if that is not the case. It may also be helpful if you can find someone smaller/ younger to show him a little just to prove the pony is easy enough for a less experienced rider.

That being said, I would say $30k plus if the pony is fancy and can win at the A/B shows around here. If you really want a good sense how to price the pony, you could try to look on bigeq.com to see how similar ponies in the region are priced. Another option would be to find a trainer that frequently sells ponies and get that person's opinion (unless you are already working with a trainer).

I have a couple of quality Children's Ponies that aren't quite up to the job of the regulars but can win consistently in the Children's at the best shows. I have found the best market for these ponies is the lease option. Often these are step up ponies that kids don't need for more than a year or two. Parents often are willing to pay a pretty considerable lease fee to not have to worry about reselling the pony when the child is ready to move on to a regular pony or a horse that they may keep for much longer.

I do have to qualify this with the fact that before leasing these ponies they already have show records proving they can win in the Children's Division.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki17 View Post
    35k tops for a winning large? That is where it would start.
    As I read this, we are talking about a CHILDREN'S Large, not a Regular. OP speculates he is "cute enough" and "can get the step" but at this point, that is unproven. I know he has done well for her but it is a big step from Childrens to Regular Larges...doubt he would be considered Green if he has been doing anything over level 0 Jumpers at any kind of recognized show. He'd have to debut in the Regulars-that's a minus.
    Plus, she does say he needs more work so it's not going to pack the average kid just yet.

Alot of questions that will influence price in a shakey market.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

i agree with the poster who says DO NOT BREAK ITS GREEN.

Default price of a lg child pony

I have one in my barn right now that that has only competed in Short Stirrup but he has the step and scope to do the regulars eventually and he moves great and is good looking enough for the model and conformation part of the pony hunters at "A" shows but not possibly "AA" shows. He is completely trustworthy for any kid and I intend to get 15k for him.
    I sold one last fall that had 1 season of children's pony/mini medal mileage and before that SS. She was never gonna be a division pony and I got 15k for her. We are in New England area.
    Definately DON"T break the green year this year and I hope it didn't jump higher than 2'6" in the jumper ring otherwise you broke it's green year. That would be a major disadvantage to your selling him if he is in fact a real division contender.