The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where's the disconnect in a person's brain

that makes them think horses that look like these are fine? And her family is going to bat for her big time in the comments. Are they blind too? She's all sad, sad, sad about loosing a couple of her horses... all she had to do was feed them. Then all of a sudden, after the fact so to speak, the barn's all cleaned up, the remaining horses got some vaccines, there's grain in the bins, some hay, clean tanks.... Hello, it took the PD to have horses removed from your property before you could agree some feed was in order? It's just so frustrating...

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll...S_01/705279946

http://www.unionleader.com/article.a...4-5a6041be8872

http://www.wmur.com/index.html
    Last edited by hossluva; May. 30, 2009 at 12:41 PM. Reason: add'l comment

I hope the horses can be saved.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

They'll be ok after a few hundred pounds of groceries, but ya know... Having babies and a harsh winter shouldn't = skeletal. It's just sad that so many people seem to think they're perfectly reasonable excuses. It's a crock of crap!! Horses that get enough food (and don't have some disease preventing them from maintaining weight) aren't skinny regardless of age, breed or weather conditions. It really is that simple.

People use harsh winters as an excuse too much. If a horse doesn't handle cold weather well (mine doesn't) then you need to up the feed, get heavier blankets, etc. etc. Whatever it takes. Sometimes the weight loss can sneak up on you but it should only be a couple of weeks at most before you recognize it and increase hay/feed to put the weight back on. So NO horse should ever get "skinny" because of a harsh winter. They get skinny because they are owned by people who do not PREPARE for harsh winters.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

That is so sad. For many years I lived within 30 minutes of that area and winters can be extremely long and cold. What a shame she didn't ask for help because there is an active horse community in that area that would have pitched in for sure.

I had a neighbor like that. She had a baby so there was no way she could get out into the barn to feed her 5 or so horses. That was her excuse. Pitiful. She asked me how I did it w/two kids after explaining why she did not feed hers, I was like

Then they moved away and leased their farm to - guess what kind of person? The same kind. Lots of really skinny horses down there. Getting more and more every day and they all look like hell. Fences down, horses wandering around. But they have a big fancy sign and an afterschool program, lots of expensive cars coming/going around 5:00.

I dread what will happen this winter. Last winter there were less horses and when it was really cold they had no blankets on. When it was less cold and even raining, they had stable blankets on... ones that were falling off, ripped, dragging around on the ground...

My son has a kid in his class who goes there for aftercare.. he told my son that sometimes the horses act crazy because they got too much food.. .. my son said "I don't think that's the problem!"

Yup, having babies is a reason to just not feed your fur babies...
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

The white mare has a foal (er, yearling) on her side. He's a pretty pathetic little creature... That's why she came off the winter thin don't ya know, feeding a baby and all. Uh, ever hear of weaning? But I guess that would mean having to feed the baby also!!

The reason why they didn't ask for help: There was nothing at all wrong. Those horses are perfectly fine.

~They'd be even better if they were fed consistently, now wouldn't they.

I don't mean to be evil, but jeez....do me a favor and beg, borrow or steal a clue. Especially if you're going to be breeding!!

Still getting creeped out that every....single...abuser/neglector....looks exactly freaking alike.
    Harsh winter and foaling are two of the main excuses asshats use to neglect their horses. Mystery illnesses is the other main excuse. There's an owner from NH going to court this coming July who gave the same damned excuse...her horses were skeletal and loaded with worms because the winter was rough and some were broodmares. (when the worst looking were stunted 1 and 2 year olds and an older stallion)
    Norcrest had the same reason: broodmares...but she creatively added in it was the owners' faults.
    And oddly enough...these two other neglectors looks like this one too.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I do appreciate that, under extreme conditions, when it is not quite time, a horse may look "that way." You may be choosing to give the horse that extra bit of grass, that extra bit of kindness, before it is time. This, I understand.

The rest, I just...can not.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

While the horses are starving it is safe to say that the owner is not going without food or her necessities is she?! What a piece of white trash...

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Still getting creeped out that every....single...abuser/neglector....looks exactly freaking alike.
    My thought exactly when I saw her picture...but ya know, it makes sense, if they don't care for their horses, why would they care for themselves? Or should that be the other way around...

I was thinking the same thing. VERY creepy indeed!

OMG - that is so true!!! I was just talking about that the other day, so totally freaky. It's like they come out of a mold!

I don't know how she could sit down to her dinner knowing she didn't give those horses any dinner.

My BOs end up taking in a lot of neglect cases; our county's SPCA is useless when it comes to abuse/neglect cases in horses, so my BOs will get a call from a vet saying "can you come get this horse" and then we end up with another emaciated, curly-toed, wormy mess of a horse--though they've all cleaned up to be pretty nice!

The one that really blew my mind though was the most recent. This mare was a sweet, very skinny QH being kept by a couple who wanted a horse for their kid. (Who wasn't yet old enough to even say "horsey.") My BOs had tried to help them out with finding hay, shavings, a feed schedule, etc., and were being ignored. Then there was a big storm and the horse got trapped in her shack (aka, barn). My BOs went and picked up the horse and brought her back to our barn. The owners of the horse came once, and I overheard their conversation. My BO was asking them how much they fed her--"Oh, whenever my boyfriend gets money, we go buy a bale and give it to her." "Do you feed her every day?" "Well, we try to..."

I'm staring at the chubby little baby in its nice new car seat--and this couple weren't exactly emaciated either, by a long shot--thinking, "Do you try to feed your child every day? Or yourselves?" I do not understand the disconnect that would let people think that a bale of hay a month is enough for an animal to live on, when they're happily sitting down for dinner watching this horse starve to death outside the kitchen window.

That was the last time we saw them... and if anyone wants a very nice, flashy QH mare with 30 days fresh training, let me know. (:

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry roan View Post
    I don't know how she could sit down to her dinner knowing she didn't give those horses any dinner.
    Me either.

I wonder if these women are suffering from some type of pathological depression with delusional tendencies? Or perhaps they have a drinking and/or drug problem? It IS scary how they all have the same look and expression. While they appear to be overweight they all look very unhealthy.

There's definitely something that just shuts off and makes them oblivious to the obvious. I wonder if it's chemical or electrical or something - I just can't buy into the "frog in the pot of water" analogy; you know, if happens slowly and you don't notice type of thing. You should notice!! Time and time again though, people who "love their animals" and have had them for years and may have even actually cared for them well for years, can't/don't see that they've deteriorated into Henneke 1s ten feet away from their kitchen window. There's gotta be more to it, but I guess I just don't know.

These horses will probably soon be reunited with their owner since she's seemingly gotten her act together (at least for now) and has gotten hay, grain, etc. So, yeah, good for her.

Personally, I don't know if it matters how much food she has for them if she couldn't/didn't recognize that they are way underweight, wouldn't it stand to reason, that she still won't feed them properly anyway. And I'm sure she knows it all, so trying to help her out will prove to be futile. Then the whole foal thing, well, it just blows my mind. He's so totally feral and filthy, matted, nasty ~ but she loves her horses. Well thank god for that, where would they be if she didn't?

Sorry for the vent, I'm shaking off a pretty frustrating day and I'm getting the whole blank stare thing from my hubby which drove me into the office to visit my skinny little foster cat. Now I'm realizing that I should definitely not be sitting here either. So, I'm off for a nice cold beer and a walk over to the barn. I need to see a fat and happy animal. My own chunka chunk who will never know of the life that so many I see have had to live. She's so cute, I think I'll go give her some extra hay just because.

I don't know what people 'see'. It's almost like what color is green. I keep horses in a good working weight, but I have a friend who sees them as too thin. I see hers as obese. I met up with a gal recently whose horse I thought looked well this time last year...and this time this year, he looks rough, real rough. Dead in the eye, hollow hipped, count every rib. His barrel looks like it's hung from strings from his back, that look. She honestly and innocently asked me if I thought he looked better, she's done a bunch of carrot stretches with him to build his underline, work on flexibility. No, no he doesn't look better, he took my breath away he looked so poor. It really blew her hair back to hear that..but do I know if she believes me, well, no, of course not.

Again, I don't know what people see when they look out in the field. It's a mystery sometimes.

Harsh winter and foaling are two of the main excuses asshats use to neglect their horses. Mystery illnesses is the other main excuse. There's an owner from NH going to court this coming July who gave the same damned excuse...her horses were skeletal and loaded with worms because the winter was rough and some were broodmares. (when the worst looking were stunted 1 and 2 year olds and an older stallion)
    Norcrest had the same reason: broodmares...but she creatively added in it was the owners' faults.
    And oddly enough...these two other neglectors looks like this one too.
    Well believe it or not, we have one right down the street where I board my pony which is worse looking that that!

I was told Animal Control has been called numberous times - owner's say it is an old horse.

This horse is a walking skeleton and I too called A/C. From her return voice mail, it sounds like she never even went out and confirmed that this horse has been called on before.

A/C said she spoke to the owner, (never mentioned that she went out in person) and she is 100 percent confident that the owner is feeding the correct feed for a older horse. (You could have fooled me)

This poor skeleton went all winter and it was a brutal one, with out a blanket!! Reason??? Once it lays down with a blanket on, it can't get back up!!!!

I drive by this horse's paddock every single day and not once have I ever seen this horse eating or picking at left over hay.

I also wonder why there are several "No trespassing" signs in front of the place too.

Misty, if you want the address, let me know. This horse is a skeleton.

Quote Originally Posted by hossluva View Post
    There's definitely something that just shuts off and makes them oblivious to the obvious. I wonder if it's chemical or electrical or something - I just can't buy into the "frog in the pot of water" analogy; you know, if happens slowly and you don't notice type of thing. You should notice!! Time and time again though, people who "love their animals" and have had them for years and may have even actually cared for them well for years, can't/don't see that they've deteriorated into Henneke 1s ten feet away from their kitchen window. There's gotta be more to it, but I guess I just don't know.

These horses will probably soon be reunited with their owner since she's seemingly gotten her act together (at least for now) and has gotten hay, grain, etc. So, yeah, good for her.

Personally, I don't know if it matters how much food she has for them if she couldn't/didn't recognize that they are way underweight, wouldn't it stand to reason, that she still won't feed them properly anyway. And I'm sure she knows it all, so trying to help her out will prove to be futile. Then the whole foal thing, well, it just blows my mind. He's so totally feral and filthy, matted, nasty ~ but she loves her horses. Well thank god for that, where would they be if she didn't?

Sorry for the vent, I'm shaking off a pretty frustrating day and I'm getting the whole blank stare thing from my hubby which drove me into the office to visit my skinny little foster cat. Now I'm realizing that I should definitely not be sitting here either. So, I'm off for a nice cold beer and a walk over to the barn. I need to see a fat and happy animal. My own chunka chunk who will never know of the life that so many I see have had to live. She's so cute, I think I'll go give her some extra hay just because.
    IME, the more a person proclaims their "love for their horses" in an abstract way, the more their relationship w/their horses is liable to be very screwed up. People who really love their horses (although they might mention it on ocassion) prove it be DOING for their horses. Not talking about it.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.