The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Are my Fly Predators sleeping on the job?

I have been using these little guys for about three years now. I definitely notice a reduction in flies. But these past few weeks, I have had some nasty HORSE FLIES buzzing around. I have only gotten my first shipment in May, as I follow the company's recommendations. Anyone have a bug problem already??

Aha! Caught you! Who hasn't been reading their Fly Preditor literature, hmmmm? (Just kidding! )

The little guys don't work against any type of "biting fly", e.g., green heads, horse flys, etc. the nastly little buggers can only be lured by a $245 bait ... which I have NOT invested in ... but I would like to build one. Here's the link: http://www.bitingflies.com/ (or at least one of them.)

Anyway, hope this helps.
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

Yep, you are looking to the wrong flies to see if the predators are working.

For some reason, they are working super great here, in our fourth year, or something is, because you have to look hard to find a fly anywhere.
    We have already put out two batches.
    The horses nap and rest and not a tail switches.
    I guess that our time may come later, where nothing works, we are keeping our fingers crossed.
    For now, our neighbors, several miles away, have them all.

Thumbs up

And as for the pesky flies they are bred to attack...it could be that it's just too cold and wet for the predators to hatch, and get to work.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Bloodsuckers like horse flies don't breed in the manure pile, so the fly predators don't work on them.

Check out traps for these monsters--I have a few dozen dead already, and they've just started to come out.

www.bitingflies.com

If you do a search there is a plan for building one, too.
    Click here before you buy.

Fly control Systems. We have the Shoo-fly sysems in our barns and run-in sheds. No flies, not even in the paddocks as the drift of the spray goes outside the barns and sheds. Safe and cost effective. Go read about it at WHINNY.ORG We just couldn't see spending and spending and spending for the little predators that only attack ONE kind of fly

Wait a minute.... On my package it says that it protects against BITING flies! Oh man, did I get duped again??? I will check out the other products. Thanks.

I don't know if you are using the Spaudling Labs predators, but SL is very clear that the predators don't work on the big pest flies. However, they work great with the other flies. I can't imagine going back to the "old days" when I had to deal with BOTH kinds of flies. It's actually pretty easy to kill the biting flies.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Stable flies, against which fly predators may be effective, are biting flies--no question-- but the predators don't work against the big "horsefly" type bloodsuckers.
    Click here before you buy.

As DW said, horseflies and deerflies don't breed in manure piles. They breed in vegetation that overhangs water (ponds, streaks, rivers). Like mosquitoes, only the females bite and they need a blood meal to lay eggs.

Fly Predators will have no effect on them. Wet springs and summers will greatly increase their numbers.

Well dang! I saw the title of this thread and thought that the Fly Predator Union went on strike or somethin'

[QUOTE=IronwoodFarm;4134185} It's actually pretty easy to kill the biting flies.[/QUOTE]

How do you it? I actually stood next to my horse yesterday and killed probably 25 over the course of 1/2 hour. It was kind of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by 2boys View Post
    How do you it? I actually stood next to my horse yesterday and killed probably 25 over the course of 1/2 hour. It was kind of fun.
    If you are squeamish about the killing, if you catch them for me, I will do the killing for you.

My BO has the same unit DeltaWave posted, the hanging black ball under the tent thingie. Our barn butts up to a swamp & woods, so the mosquitoes are killers. If you had shown me a picture of it two years ago I would have said "quack!", but it seems to work amazingly well.

Just received my "free sample" of fly predators as a gift for my BO to try. Let's hope he accepts the free gift.

Default YAY! BO LOVED Predators!

I brought the Fly Predators to my BO yesterday and she was thrilled! Apparently, our farrier uses them and has been raving about the results. She was going to give them a try and I show up with the free sample!

I think they've won over a new customer.
    Good job sending free samples, I think it's going to pay off for them.