The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Nutrena Senior

Has anyone had any luck with gaining weight on their Seniors with Nutrena Senior? And does anyone know any reliable sourses I can look to to see the nutrition facts about it? And also, has anyone ever tried Nutrena Senior and Purina Senior horse feeds? If so, which one gets a horse to gain more weight, anyone know? Thank you, eveyone!
    ~He dares to be a fool, and that is the first step in the direction of wisdom~
    -James Huneker

Check their websites. Here's Nutrena Senior's.
    http://www.nutrenaworld.com/Screens/...gn_Senior.aspx

Here's Purina's. http://horse.purinamills.com/products/Equine_Senior.asp

If I remember right, both are complete feeds. I think Nutrena has more stuff in their feed compared to Purina and it's a little higher in fat. Same protein.

I have a senior horse, but he eats Nutrena Youth, as he's the babysitter of all of the youngsters and prego mares as they get closer to foaling. There are more of them than him and they all eat together. I like the higher protein and little higher fat for them and it doesn't hurt my gelding to eat it either.

If I were to pick a specific weight building feed, aside from free choice alfalfa or alfalfa/mix hay or good pasture 24/7, I'd go w/ Purina Ultium. I've had good results w/ that and have fed it to all ages. You don't have to feed near as much of it either. But it's more expensive.

HTH somewhat.
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

Heres a link for the new Purina, there are some differences from the former version.

http://www.purinadifference.com/stel...cmd0014920.pdf

Dumplin' eats Purina Senior. He does well on it and I am seeing a difference with the new version during the feeding trial. He's an easy keeper, he's a a mini afterall, so weight gain isn't what I am after, but I do I see his coat getting shinier, a bit more energy, and he loves it more than ever.

There is always a better feed out there, but it works for him so why mess wit h a good thing.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

I have a 23 yo pony that lost a considerable amount of weight over the winter. After the vet examined him and all blood work came back normal, I power packed him and changed his feed to Purina Senior (he was on Nutrena Safe Choice) upon the advice of my vet. He's getting the recommended feeding amount. He is gaining back the weight nicely and his coat looks good. He has more energy and thus, has his pony attitude back.

The Purina Senior is a complete feed, so it can be feed without forage if necessary. I know it's been redesigned, but I'm not sure what the difference is from the old formula.

Quote Originally Posted by crazy gray horse View Post
    I have a 23 yo pony that lost a considerable amount of weight over the winter. After the vet examined him and all blood work came back normal, I power packed him and changed his feed to Purina Senior (he was on Nutrena Safe Choice) upon the advice of my vet. He's getting the recommended feeding amount. He is gaining back the weight nicely and his coat looks good. He has more energy and thus, has his pony attitude back.

The Purina Senior is a complete feed, so it can be feed without forage if necessary. I know it's been redesigned, but I'm not sure what the difference is from the old formula.
    I use Purina Senior, it's been working pretty well, but it seemed people were saying it was better, on this website. Our farrier suggested it for our older horses, so we have been using that feed. And the new has better pellets for making into a mash (in 2 minutes with warm water) and I'm not sure what else. On the new bags here, it says. Maybe it says on yours?
    Thanks everyone! I might try Nutrena Senior.
    -James Huneker

I've used both brands years ago - didn't have the need to put weight on tho'. The biggest difference I noticed was that the Nutrena was a bit softer.

I had better luck with my 30+ year old pony on the Nutrena Sr vs Purina. She seemed to hold her weight better and preferred the Nutrena.

My mini is now on Purina, just a couple of cups a day, and does great. But if I had a harder keeper I'd go with Nutrena.

Our broodies hold weight better while nursing on the Nutrena senior.

Purina has added Amplify to the Senior feed. I don't know if it was there previously or not, but it says "New! Apmplify nuggets now added". They are rice bran, flaxseed, and plant oil nuggets "a good source of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids". So it says.

I've never fed it before, butat my horse's new barn the owner feeds it to all of her horses. She's taken a lot of TBs right off the track and says she's always given them Equine Senior, no matter what age. She (and Equine Senior) must be doing something right, because she's got a 20 y/o OTTB who's been on it since he was 8, and a 30 y/o who's been on it for about 15 years. The 30 year old, who underwent colic surgery about 5-6 years ago, looks like he is about 12. Acts like it too, I took him to a 2-phase last month and you'd never know he was 30, the second he saw the stadium course there was no stopping him! I don't think I've ever seen two older horses (cribbers, no less) look so good.

I had a ASB/TB cross who was on Nutrena Senior. At one point he was on about 10 quarts a day, plus 6 quarts of Nutrena's hay extender, plus 2 quarts Nutrena Vitality 14. His owner wanted to add weight to him, because he also wasn't eating his hay. I don't think he put any weight on at that point, he would only ever eat about half the grain at each meal and we'd have to dump the rest because of the flies. It got too expensive for her to keep feeding it without seeing a change. I eventually convinced her to drop his grain way back and put him on a probiotic or something. She dropped him to 2 quarts Senior and 1 hay extender per meal plus 1oz baking soda and probios. Within 2 months he had already put on a significant amount of weight. If I were to place bets, I'd say that the addition of baking soda and the probiotic contributed more to his weight gain than any of the grain he was on. He's been off the baking soda and probiotic for about a month now and I saw him the other day, and he was dropping weight again (he's getting the same amount of grain).

My ottb has gained a lot of weight. In addition to the double alfalfa dinner I pay for, his turnout on grass all day with another gelding of similar temperment, he gets a cup of oil and a scoop of Nutena senior (without molasses). He also gets ridden regularly in the hills. and his teeth done by an equine dentist regularly. He has a soft bed at night. I think his life is pretty low stress.

There is more to weight gain that just the food.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

I have used both, but prefer the Nutrena Senior. I currently have a few horses on it. They all keep their weight very well. I also add beet pulp to all my horses feed and if a horse seems to need more fat I add Nutrena's Empower supplement.

Thank you everyone!
    -James Huneker