The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Palomino feet - question for farriers / trimmers

I have just taken on a herd of six rescue ponies, all in various stages of "neglect". One of those is a palomino filly with appalling feet : runaway toes, low heels, horrible "bands" across them. Granted, her feet haven't been done in, perhaps, forever, but the other horses aren't as bad.

When I pointed them out to my husband, a farrier / trimmer, he commented that he's actually never SEEN a palomino with GOOD feet. He said that, to a horse, they were revolting.

We were wondering if it had something to do with their genetic make-up, or if it's one of the side-effects of "breeding for colour" (he also commented that he's only seen one or two palominos who were good-looking horses, no matter what their colour, the others were fuglies.) He also conceded that he's talking from a relatively small population of horses, and so we decided to put a post up here, asking the other farriers / trimmers if they had noticed a similar trend in palomino horses?

There's no reason for the question other than idle curiosity
    Last edited by Kaeleer; May. 24, 2009 at 01:01 PM. Reason: punctuation

I don't believe so. I know horses of all colors and breeds with good feet.

You're farrier has limited experience.

We've had six palominos over the years (Mangalarga Marchador, TWH, Belgian cross, grade). All had at least "good" feet, the TWH had outstanding feet.

The worst feet we've ever had here were on a bay, 17.2 hand TB. You could almost crumble them in you hand.

Color and foot quality are, IMO, not linked by anything but prejudice and myth.

G.

Geez - all of the palomino's and buckskin's we produce by my stallion have fabulous feet that dont chip or break at all! They are a good size and correct.

Both my cremello stallion and perlino mare have incredibly hard and correct feet as well

Weird thing for a blacksmith to say ...

In my experience no.

Good and bad feet come in all colors.

Perhaps maybe because most palomino's these days are QH types usually their feet are way too small but that's a breeders problem. Other than that no. are like any other horses.
    George

I agree with the others...palominos are not destined to have bad feet. Worst feet I've seen and worked with to date are on a chestnut.

I also agree with George that it's probably more breed related than color.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeleer View Post

When I pointed them out to my husband, a farrier / trimmer, he commented that he's actually never SEEN a palomino with GOOD feet. He said that, to a horse, they were revolting.

...he also commented that he's only seen one or two palominos who were good-looking horses, no matter what their colour, the others were fuglies. He also conceded that he's talking from a relatively small population of horses, and so we decided to put a post up here, asking the other farriers / trimmers if they had noticed a similar trend in palomino horses?

Hubby needs to get out more. Frankly my dear, that's bullsh*t.

Have had 2, one grade and one AQHA and been around many more of various breeds. They were not fugly either...try show champions in Open, USEF Pony Hunter and major AQHA competitions (American Saddlebreds too). Nothing wrong with any of their feet.

Never noticed other horses avoiding them like a bunch of racists either.

That kind of overall pronouncement based on admittedly limited exposure is unfortunate, to say the least.

Your little rescue has bad feet because of neglect, bad diet, maybe bad conformation but color has nothing to do with it. A good horse is a good horse and good horses are always a good color.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Agree. My palomino QH has great feet.

I never heard that one before.

Well, that's a new one on me. Colour makes no difference to the feet.

Not at all the case. Over the years I've had quite a few palomino horses. I can't say any have had bad feet and for sure they've been no different than anything else I've ever owned or bred.

No good horse is a bad colour.

Bad horses come in all colours.

Her husband said that he had never seen a palomino with good feet. Not that there were no palominos with good feet. But I have a palomino with bad feet. She is a good looking horse though. I think he probably sees lots of poorly conformed palominos because people breed just for the color and also buy just for the color without looking at the horse really. I mean that long white tail does dazzle the eyes

From what you describe, this particular rescue pony probably has insulin resistance and possibly low grade or subclinical laminitis that needs to be addressed. Has nothing to do with the horse's colour and everything with her metabolic condition.

Quote Originally Posted by JHUshoer20 View Post
    In my experience no.

Good and bad feet come in all colors.

Perhaps maybe because most palomino's these days are QH types usually their feet are way too small but that's a breeders problem. Other than that no. are like any other horses.
    George

I agree with this.

I think this may stem out of the old wives' tale that light-colored hooves are not as strong as black hooves. I know many people who are good horsepeople (including some farriers) who still believe this, but thre is simply no basis for it.

However, since genetics do come into play, if one line of horses is bred for color regardless of other considerations, you can certainly end up with a lot of horses displaying a negative trait along with theit great looks. Hence the navicular problems in QH's bred for looks, for example. If you don't breed for the whole horse, you're very likely to produce some unwanted genetic "side effects" which can be anything feom bad feet to HYPP to lethal white and beyond.

I'd guess this opinion stems out of a combination of an old wives' tale and what is true about the breeding of some horses and genetics.

Yep.. color and hoof quality is a old wives tale.

I have had three palominos, a saddlebred, a quarter horse, and a draft tb cross. All had great feet, the first two went barefoot.

Worse feet I have seen were on a TB (bred for speed, not feet).

Quote Originally Posted by HenryisBlaisin' View Post
    I agree with this.

I think this may stem out of the old wives' tale that light-colored hooves are not as strong as black hooves. I know many people who are good horsepeople (including some farriers) who still believe this, but thre is simply no basis for it.

However, since genetics do come into play, if one line of horses is bred for color regardless of other considerations, you can certainly end up with a lot of horses displaying a negative trait along with theit great looks. Hence the navicular problems in QH's bred for looks, for example. If you don't breed for the whole horse, you're very likely to produce some unwanted genetic "side effects" which can be anything feom bad feet to HYPP to lethal white and beyond.

I'd guess this opinion stems out of a combination of an old wives' tale and what is true about the breeding of some horses and genetics.
    I'd say a notable exception to this would be Appaloosas. By and large they have some of the nicest feet of any breed. Morgans and Standardbreds are also deserving of mention too as those breeds usually have real nice hooves too. So yeah, if yellow horse hoof quality is declining somewhere I'd be more inclined to blame the QH influence.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by JHUshoer20 View Post
    I'd say a notable exception to this would be Appaloosas. By and large they have some of the nicest feet of any breed. Morgans and Standardbreds are also deserving of mention too as those breeds usually have real nice hooves too. So yeah, if yellow horse hoof quality is declining somewhere I'd be more inclined to blame the QH influence.
    George
    Interesting observation. I had an Appaloosa-Morgan cross and he had the NICEST feet. In 20 years he wore maybe six sets of shoes.

I have two palominos in my barn right now, both of similar type breeding (one is an appendix QH the other is a QH cross of some sort, pony size). The appendix came with very, very thin soles (we actually x-rayed his feet when we got him because he was quite sore) but the aesthetic quality of them is not bad at all. Big feet, not crumbly at all, a good shape. His toes want to get a little bit long right at the end of his shoeing cycle, but otherwise they aren't too bad. He is also a lot more comfortable now than he was a year ago when we got him, so I'm thinking his thin soles may have been management, not genetics.

The pony's feet are a little more QH like. They want to be a little upright (far from clubby, though), but again, not crumbly at all. Good and solid little feet.

Both boys are shod in the front...the pony is ridden HARD and is very, very sound. The other one has a little easier life. They're both cute, too. And I know for a fact that palominos can be very, very good looking. WakeRider has a lovely eventing pony that is a palomino, and there is a little palmino mare that has been running around some advanced level events this year that is a total blonde bombshell (I think they are both Connemara or Conn crosses, so they've got the cute gene!).

A point to remember; Kaeleer's husband might not see as many oddly bred colored horses in Africa as we have here.
    Since the OP's rescue palomino was a rescue...it may not be IR issues since it wasn't really getting a lot to eat, period.

Have to agree with the Appy feet...out of personal observation I don't think I've seen one Appy with bad feet. Most have had feet like rocks and nicely shaped too.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    A point to remember; Kaeleer's husband might not see as many oddly bred colored horses in Africa as we have here.
    Was that a racist remark?