The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Slow hay feeders

Has anyone tried the Slow Down hay feeder or other devices that make horses take longer to consume their hay rations? We're thinking of getting one of the slow feeders now on the market, but wondered if others have had success with them. They seem like a good idea for horses who always devour their hay really fast.

Don't normally do this but.... there is a fantastic thread over on Horse City that discusses slow-feeders in depth, with tons of pictures and video of many different ideas. Here it is.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

is there a website of what this product looks like??

We often suggest double haynetting to make hay "stay in the net" longer and take longer to consume. Also a reader of ours suggested one called the "Busy Horse" which looks neat and worked well for them.

For bigger hay quantities, I've seen at trade shows metal carriers where a bale of hay can fit inside and bars over the top of the hay reduce the amount of hay the horse can "grab" at each mouthful..I think as the hay is consumed the bottom rises up to the top until the horse consumes the whole bale..

I'd imagine very little waste with this contraption and it could be placed in many different locations: pastures, paddocks, lean-tos, possibly even LARGE stalls....
    Triple Crown feed fan?
    Join Triple Crown Nutrition, Inc. on facebook at:
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/p...6908807?ref=mf

More Slow Feeder ideas/designs
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Yes, yes, yes I have had several clients and my friend build one. They all love it Here's more: http://paddockparadise.wetpaint.com/page/Slow+Feeders

^ What dreadful design. I thought everyone knew you shouldn't put a hay net on the floor because of the risk of the horse getting it's leg through it. To have one fixed to some sort of wooden box well How totally gob smackingly ridiculous!!!

Thomas, chill dude. These are SMALL hole mesh bags. No hoof can fit through...just horsie lips

EDITED TO ADD: Also horses are barefoot, so no risk of a shoe getting caught. That is always advised with any net on the ground

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

here's the one I built for the stall (forgive me - things have to be stained and fancy looking, it's the only way I can tolerate them!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2459472...7612148066145/
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Thomas, chill dude. These are SMALL hole mesh bags. No hoof can fit through...just horsie lips

EDITED TO ADD: Also horses are barefoot, so no risk of a shoe getting caught. That is always advised with any net on the ground
    Rubbish! They're just standard size hay nets and with the normal expandible mesh and dead easy for a horse to get itself caught up in. Last one I saw that did that wasn't a pretty sight at all!

thomas..not sure which of those pics you are refering too..the hay net with the big holes under the rain bucket??

*I like the looks of the wooden corner feeder with the really little holes and I'm guessing a wire mesh covering...don't even see a strand of hay sticking out of them "yet"...that would involve hours of picking at the hay..and a "busy horse"
    Triple Crown feed fan?

Quote Originally Posted by tcnhorsefeed View Post
    thomas..not sure which of those pics you are refering too..the hay net with the big holes under the rain bucket??

*I like the looks of the wooden corner feeder with the really little holes and I'm guessing a wire mesh covering...don't even see a strand of hay sticking out of them "yet"...that would involve hours of picking at the hay..and a "busy horse"
    all of the net ones.

dmk...very nice..good work!!
    Triple Crown feed fan?

Thomas, I have some of the small mesh hay bags and the holes really are much too small to catch a hoof. Not sure about all the ones in the pictures, though.

I got a small mesh hay net for my very wasteful horse. Not only does it slow him down, it also gets him to eat more hay, as very little hay gets dropped on the floor and deemed inedible.
    He gets his hay soaked, so two flakes makes a pretty good sized net after an hour of soaking. The small mesh net makes it easy to soak it, then pull the net out and drain it, then hang it.
    Amateur rider, professional braider.
    ----
    Save a life, adopt a pet.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by tcnhorsefeed View Post
    dmk...very nice..good work!!
    thanks!

I will say it isn't perfect. I feed a high alfalfa mix T&A or orchard & alf hay, and when it is almost pure alfalfa, sometimes that "clumpy" nature of tightly pressed alfalfa works against me. Even though I shake out all the flakes before I put it in the box, the pure alfalfa stuff sometimes doesn't feed through. But most hay with just the smallest amount of grass blend works really well. It holds about 1/3 of a bale lightly fluffed. I love it for a growing young horse who wants to be an easy keeper and a bit of a chowhound, but I want to keep top quality hay in front of him 24/7.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I recently purchased a "busy grande" slow feeder bag from Busy Horse. While I gulped at the price (over $50 with shipping) when I ordered it, I now absolutely love it. It is very large (about 2'x3') and holds 3-4 large flakes of hay. Since my mustang is insulin resistant, I needed a way to keep him occupied while he is confined to a dirt lot (which is most of the day and night - he gets 3 hours grazing in the early morning and gets ridden or hand walked in the afternoon) I fill the bag twice a day - it is easy to fill and hang up (unlike the small hole hay net that I had tried and he quickly bit a hole in) and seems to be very heavy duty. I think it will last a long, long time. I highly recommend this for slowing down the hay consumption.