The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Splacco Guest

Default Any luck with Stallion Auctions? I've had two bad experiences

Wondering if anyone else has had bad experiences buying stud services through
    stallion auctions. I've had two terrible experiences and am shying away from
    such purchases. Both times - all fees paid and no semen shipped. Any reliable warmblood breed auctions? sjp

I've bought quite a few breedings through auctions and always had great luck and excellent service from the stallion owners. Barb Gualco who owns Sir Caletto went above and beyond to collect on a non-collection day to get me semen for a mare that wasn't reading the mare manual . Edgar who owns Escudo II was his normal wonderful and efficient self, Acorn Hill Farm were great to deal with and this year I bought frozen from Providence via the AHS auction and Joe Palmer from South Lane Farm was great to deal with. Just waiting on the preg check for that one.

Default from the stallion end of things

I can only speak as an owner that donated a breeding, I treated those breedings just as every other. What steps have you taken? I would contact the person in charge of the stallion auction as well as the stallion owners. Some auctions have varying rules even within the same auction due to stallion owner requests, but if you paid for semen and are following the rules you should be shipped semen. What have been your circumstances?

Default From the stallion owner's mouth

I am terribly sorry for your bad experience. As the current owner of two stallions, Lotus T and Lansing and the former owner of Lasting Impression and Akos, I can assure you that most of us, stallion owners will not treat you differently as "paying" clients. For us, these stallion service auctions are a great promotion and on the long run it brings in more business. Also, most of us are dedicated to our breeding associations and this is an effective way to support them, without costing us more money (let's not forget, it is likely that the stallion would not have got the breeding if it were not for the auction).

Maybe you should post the names of the stallions whose owners did not honor their commitments, so other breeders in the future would not bid on those breedings.
    Last edited by szipi; May. 29, 2009 at 09:02 AM. Reason: typo

I have bought several breedings through the AHS auction and never had any trouble at all. The SO treated my auction breeding just as they would a private client, and semen was shipped when it was needed. I think that particular auction is a great way to contribute to an organization I love and get a good price on a breeding.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

I did have some problem with a breeding I purchased through the AHS auction but Edgar who runs it bent over backwards to make it right (it actually ended up being better than right !!!). But honestly who would expect anything less from Edgar :-) He is the best!!

I have bought a handful of breedings in the past couple of years from a couple of auctions. I've had nothing but good experiences from Stallion Owners etc and have foals on the ground to show for it. A lot depends on the SO though - if the SO isn't so "great" in a non auction setting they certainly won't be in an auction setting! (JMHO). I am just as picky about SO's as I am about the stallions I use.

As a new stallion owner, I donated a breeding to the ATA. It worked out great with the owner of the mare - in fact she was talking about short cycling her mare, I coordinated with her so that we short cycled at the same time and we split the collection fee for her mare and my own. Fingers crossed they both caught. Made her auction breeding even cheaper for her.
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA, Trakehner Verband, sBs, and ISR/OLD NA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

Splacco Guest

Default Stallion Auctions

I see that several of you have had good experiences. The first time I bought a warmblood breeding the the LSU auction. I prepared and contacted the stallion owner by phone and email - no no reply except the normal automated email received. Made all payments, prepared the mare for specific breeding schedule
    with lots of vet charges - got a viable follicle, called and left message to stallion owner, sent email also. Had sent them my own container - awaited shipment and took the mare to the vet's office the next morning for insemination. Guess what - no semen. Called and called, emailed and emailed.
    All that work - no semen. The folks at LSU did refund their part after much communication. The stallion owner never contacted me or sent back my container.

Last year I purchased a breeding for my Trak. mare to a lovely stallion in Ca. through SHN . The stallion would be collected only on specific days - needing booking fees, their container fees etc. Paid everyone and prepared the mare with vet's costly assistance. With all notified appropriately - I take the mare for ultrasound on the scheduled day - we are in great shape for shipment to inseminate the following day. Call the stallion owner - very good person - she informs me that the stallion just tested positive for a communicable breeding disease and would be retested in nine days. Being I've been there before - I breed the mare the next day to my friesian crossbred stallion and wallah - she conceives on that one breeding. The person who runs that auction said that I should wait and get semen in nine days if he tests negative. What? did she think that egg was just gonna wait?

The contract for that organization clearly states that if the stallion is not able to perform his duties that a refund was in order. Well? The stallion owner was kind and she refunded everything on her end. The auction lady did not refund. She still has $800 of my money. She said I could breed the mare to that stallion the following year. But if the stallion tested positive - what guarantees would I have? What about all the vet charges already incurred - who was responsible for them? The mare was 15 years old last year and this baby she has given me this spring from my stallion may well be her last. And I wouldn't breed her two years in a row anyway and that we would be moving the next year and couldn't wait and go through what again.

So I still have lots of reservations about purchasing breedings from auctions.

sjp

Cool

Your experience results are going to be a direct result of the quality of the stallion owner you have chosen to deal with. Remember that you are not just picking a stallion, but you are also picking a stallion owner who you will be in a contract with. They are not all the same. And don't blame the auction.

I'm going to qualify what I said about successful auction breedings by saying that in every case I knew either personally or by reputation the stallion owner. I wouldn't buy an auction breeding from an unknown stallion owner.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

"I've bought quite a few breedings through auctions and always had great luck and excellent service from the stallion owners. Barb Gualco who owns Sir Caletto went above and beyond to collect on a non-collection day to get me semen for a mare that wasn't reading the mare manual".

This must be a characteristic of this SO as she has done exactly the same for us and done so with cheerfulness and kindness. Can't say enough good things about her.

The owner of Cunningham also did everything in textbook perfect style- twice- for us with an auction-won breeding. We have no complaints!
    Sakura Hill Farm
    Now on Facebook

Young and developing horses for A-circuit jumper and hunter rings.

Quote Originally Posted by feather river View Post
    Your experience results are going to be a direct result of the quality of the stallion owner you have chosen to deal with. Remember that you are not just picking a stallion, but you are also picking a stallion owner who you will be in a contract with. They are not all the same. And don't blame the auction.
    In case #2, the stallion owner was not to blame, the auction was.

Are you canticle in disguise? All you ever have to offer is negativity & passive aggressive attacks.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by retrofit View Post

Are you canticle in disguise? All you ever have to offer is negativity & passive aggressive attacks.
    Retro, how is the fit--a bit tight it appears. You're back.

what is a canticle? And how could anyone interpret my comments which you quoted to to be negative or passive aggressive? I stand by every word, and consider none of my post to be negative or p.a.

You need to leave your agenda at the door, sweets.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by retrofit View Post

Follow up question--you were not the original poster and no one previously has thrown laurels at stallion owner #1 or #2. How do you have this knowledge about case #2? Do you make this up as you go? Or are you the stallion owner in case #2 and you are trying to duck any complicity for this person's bad opinion.

My only experience with a stallion auction was the SHN Payback. I bought a breeding to Redwine and did not know the stallion owner AT ALL. It has been nothing short of wonderful and my mare is now in foal for 2010. Maybe I just got lucky with Jill at Gray Fox Farm, but it was such a great experience it wouldn't have occurred to me to question buying an auction breeding again.

I had a wonderful experience with Red Brick Farm and Gallant Reward (the stallion). And I was able to take advantage of her LCFG which I wasn't even sure would be offered, to breed my mare back. Foal #1 was absolutely wonderful but solid-colored. Foal #2 looks to have everything his brother has... with spots!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

One good/one bad. The first to a WB went fine, the second the stallion was sold between the time of the auction and breeding season. The fact the stallion was sold was not really a problem IF the new owner honored the terms of the auction breeding. The problem was that the stallion was NOT sold with having to honor the breeding as per the auction terms. (Also known as the horse was a TB and the new owner would only let me honor the breeding by AI, which was a problem as the mare I was breeding to him was a TB).

I've had good and bad luck. The bad was that I was unable to get a pregnancy over two seasons with two different mares. The stallion just didn't ship well. Bummer, but what can you do??

The good has been very good so far... (Thanks Grayfox!) I have one more auction breeding I purchased this year to use, but waiting on the mare to foal still.

A friend of mine had a bad experience with a SO that was in an auction. A second friend had a bad experience with the same SO even though she didn't use an auction to obtain the breeding. So... with this SO is the common denominator and not the auction. Most SOs really are fabulous to deal with regardless as to how one obtains a breeding to their stallion.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

I have managed the AHHA auction for four years and co-managed the NEDA auction for several years. In recruiting stallions for these auctions, I have found that some stallion owners do seem to have an attitude about auction breedings, most likely due to a bad experience in the past. Those are the stallion owners who do not usually donate. I always want feedback from auction winners who have a difficult time with the stallion owners. The earlier I learn about this the better, as maybe there can be some intervention. Just this year I heard from a woman who purchased a breeding LAST YEAR, and had some problems and was not able to use the breeding. One year later she was demanding her money back and threatening to sue everybody. ONE YEAR LATER we are hearing about this!

Anyway, my message is that stallion auctions can be great for both mare owners and stallion owners. The organizations running the auctions (at least the two I represent) are there if you have problems. You just have to speak up.
    Maryanne Nicpon
    Minglewood Sport Horses
    Ballston Spa, NY