The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Equation saddles

There was a very interesting thread on Equation a few weeks ago. Check it out.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

I was in the midst of the Equation thread - they got panned pretty hard.

The wither tracing they did was using a short (about 14"?) piece of plastic flexible hose. The full wither tracing fits on an 8x10 sheet.

I used a 24" flexible curve that came in the kit from Custom Saddlery. Really nice kit, BTW. To get the full tracing I had to draw it on a 17" x 12" folder.

I'm going to recheck my measurement tonight before I send everything out.

Boomer~
    Call me if you want help doing the wither tracing.
    And for the record--I only had one, small, 'rita!

Default SUPER SADDLE

I ride 3-5 horses a day. The saddle fits all of them, is super comfy and extremely well made. Dover Saddlery has the Advantage (its a stock unit) that they do send out for trial so YOU CAN try it before buying. Call their store in Hockessin Delaware and ask for Karin (and tell her I told you to call she'll take real good care of you) I'm a Hunter guy crossing over and she was very helpful.

I just don't see how you can buy a saddle you can't return...that you have never sat in.
    My saddle fitter had me try a Custom Advantage -- really nice saddle, fit my horse (big shoulder, flat back, high withers) beautifully, put my leg in a great place...but the twist was just way too wide for me. After a few minutes riding in it it became clear I'd NEVER be comfortable in the saddle.
    At a minimum you need to know what basic size twist you want, along with flap length, etc. -- then a good fitter or rep can at least narrow down the specific saddles that might work.

Remember, it's got to fit both of you!!!
    The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Quote Originally Posted by asterix View Post
    I just don't see how you can buy a saddle you can't return...that you have never sat in.
    My saddle fitter had me try a Custom Advantage -- really nice saddle, fit my horse (big shoulder, flat back, high withers) beautifully, put my leg in a great place...but the twist was just way too wide for me. After a few minutes riding in it it became clear I'd NEVER be comfortable in the saddle.
    At a minimum you need to know what basic size twist you want, along with flap length, etc. -- then a good fitter or rep can at least narrow down the specific saddles that might work.

Remember, it's got to fit both of you!!!
    I already decided that was not a good idea, even tho the saddle was "cheap" so to speak.

I've done tracings & photos to send to Fred at Custom.

Default UPDATE!

I'm test riding a used CS Advantage... how much do I LOVE sitting in it? Suddenly, I can sit the trot! I knew I could, but it was soooo hard in my current saddle. My trainer likes my position in it too.

Down side is... when I put it on my gelding with no pads, it sits quite low behind. Like downhill. We shimmed it with some small folded towels to level, then when I got on it felt like I was being pushed somewhat forward.

Going to try again today with less folded towels.

Can this type of issue be fixed? Or if I do buy the saddle, will I need to get a small lift pad? I'm thinking something like a Thinline Trifecta could not be provide rear lift?

Boomer,

I feel for you-Sounds like you might have the right saddle now- Congrats!

I am not sure if I posted the link to the saddle fitter that I used out of Florida, but she will let you ride in saddles, and there is a rental program as well. I bought an Albion from Anne.

If you have not found the perfect saddle yet, contact Equestrian Imports

www.equestrianimports.com.

You won't be disapointed. Good Luck!

Thanks for the link!

Oddly enough I put the saddle on him yesterday and it seemed quite level. My trainer & I were really surprised. But we put we Thinline under it and shimmed the rear some. But when I got on I felt like I was riding downhill towards his neck.

Stopped and took the Thinline out all together and tried again. Wow- I could feel his back! Not such a good day for my riding (my back was quite stiff from old injuries and took a while to loosen up) but he was really good. Canter work has really come along and it's currently our best gait!

Looking forward to trying the saddle again today. Custom Saddlery said I need to ride in it 5-6 times before making a verdict.

Would be nice to "get lucky" on the first saddle I try.