The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Custom Saddlery - Advantage ?

I'm looking at a used Custom Saddlery Advantage saddle and was wondering if anyone has one? Are they comfy for you? Your horse? There is no trial period so, if I buy, I'm stuck with it until I could resell.

Custom's website says it helps with back support, which I really would like
    http://www.mysaddle.com/MYSADD~3/Advantage.html

Default I've had exclusively Custom Saddlery saddles since 1999

The company and the saddles have really evolved. I currently have 3 different CS saddles. One is an Advantage. All my saddles fit me perfectly - short flaps, stirrup bars placed under my leg so they keep my leg straight in a natural position, the seats are very comfortable. THey also fit my horses perfectly.

You will always be able to take tracings of your horse's back and send the saddle back in for adjustment of the tree and restuffing.

Hope this saddle works for you as well as CS saddles have worked for me!

I have the Custom Advantage - I don't know anything about back support, but it is a fairly comfortable saddle - deep seat, but not so deep you can't move in it. I have a pretty long leg, and it fits my leg fairly well - I would love to move the knee rolls just a bit to better accomodate my long thigh though!

It is hard to base what other people say about a saddle on whether it would work for YOU and your horse. My horse is fairly short coupled, has a flat back (versus a dippy one) and a huge shoulder. It fits him pretty well - I tried a lot of saddles, and between my long thigh and his shorter back and big shoulder, the Advantage was a good enough fit for us.

Do you have a rep in your area? If so, it might be worth trying a few of their saddles. Or ask if they will be at any shows or events that you might be able to haul in to.

If you are too far away to try the saddles, look for a used one - because if you buy new and need to resell it, you'll never get your money back (and I'd say that about ANY saddle). They are like cars, they lose 40% of their "value" when they come off the lot
    www.MysticOakRanch.com Friesian/Warmblood Crosses, the Ultimate Sporthorse
    Director, WTF Registry

I tried one a few months ago. I have a 17.5 Passier, but the deeper seat in the Advantage meant I had to go up a size to an 18. I have a long leg, so I didn't like the shorter flaps and didn't buy it.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

I think there are 3 different flap lengths or custom lengths for the extremes.

Quote Originally Posted by FriesianX View Post
    Do you have a rep in your area? If so, it might be worth trying a few of their saddles. Or ask if they will be at any shows or events that you might be able to haul in to.

If you are too far away to try the saddles, look for a used one - because if you buy new and need to resell it, you'll never get your money back (and I'd say that about ANY saddle). They are like cars, they lose 40% of their "value" when they come off the lot
    MS is a great place if you want to run cans, but for english riding... not any saddle fitter rep in sight (or tack store within 2 hours of me, for that fact!).

Looking for used saddles anyway as the new ones are just too much for my budget. The used Advantage I found is online, but no trial period, as is kind deal.

Horse is hard to fit, high withers & big shoulders. I've been emailing with Fred at Custom and they sent me a tracing kit. If I do get the one online, I could send it to Custom to work on.

There is a fitter that is supposed to come to the barn 3 hours from me, but he got panned pretty hard on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHorseProblem View Post
    ........I have a long leg, so I didn't like the shorter flaps and didn't buy it.
    Wish I had your long leg problem Shorter flap will probably work for me.

they call it "petit flap" I think, my GF who is five feet tall just purchased a new one.

this company has a really good reputation and the fitter they sent to my area last weekend was awesome.

... and she could pack down the marguaritas, too!

My last trainer had a few CS saddles, they were very comfortable, fit all of the horses, and the customer service at the company was superb.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

I was a die hard Amerigo fan. I just fell in love with the service at Custom Saddlery in NJ. The rep, told me to ride in the saddle as much as I needed to even after I told him I ride 6 days a week, he said go for it and that I didn't even have to wrap the leathers. I ended up with a Solo and love it!!!! Better still, my horse loves it.

I contacted them through their web site, I am sure they will ship you anything to try.

Quote Originally Posted by webmistress32 View Post
    they call it "petit flap" I think, my GF who is five feet tall just purchased a new one.

this company has a really good reputation and the fitter they sent to my area last weekend was awesome.

... and she could pack down the marguaritas, too!
    5'1 thank you very much.

I love my new Custom Saddlery Saddle. I didn't buy Advantage though I bought Expression. I did however ride in the Advantage and it was a nice saddle but I prefer external though rolls and a deeper seat. I tried about 10 different saddles and out of all of them I only said no to one (do not remember which one that was but not Advantage) and the rest were all good. Except when I set in Expression I said "That's it'. My horse was moving like a charm in the saddle and I could finally sit his HUGE trot without too much effort. My trainer who is super picky about saddles loved the saddle as well. She even noticed how much better the horse was moving under this saddle. So I cannot say enough good things about CS . They have very nice saddles and the saddle fitter that came out Tracy was outstanding. We even had a few drinks with her after words.

One more thing I forgot to mention. Find out if the Advantage saddle was custom made or off the shelf. It makes a big difference on the seat comfort they are not the same. I set in both and really did not like the one off the shelf but I did like custom demo.

As for the flaps they have three different kind 17', 16", and 15".

I have the advantage I got through Dovers & love it. I believe the newer ones this year have a deeper seat than mine does. It is soft as butter. Horse & I are both comfortable & we're both coming back to riding after more than 10 years away from it. I love mine. Quality if great too.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Quote Originally Posted by FriesianX View Post
    I have the Custom Advantage - I don't know anything about back support, but it is a fairly comfortable saddle - deep seat, but not so deep you can't move in it. I have a pretty long leg, and it fits my leg fairly well - I would love to move the knee rolls just a bit to better accomodate my long thigh though!
    :
    I am riding in a loaner Advantage while I am waiting for my new one to arrive. I also have a long femur, so the rep suggested I get a long flap, wih a modification to the knee roll so it didn't stab me in the knee. Interestingly enough, when the loaner came, it had the same modification, with a knee cutout at the bottom of the knee roll which makes it more comfortable for me. The rep told me that this can be changed on a used saddle so you may want to look into it.

My horse has gotten quite picky about saddles over the last year and he absolutely LOVES the Advantage. He hated the new carbon fiber tree (I think on the new Laguna?).

Timely post for me as I have one out on trial right now from CS in New Jersey (I am fortunate to live very close by). I am 99% sure I am buying it. It is a demo and in the buffalo (the new ones are in calf-skin). Despite the fact that the off-the-shelf used to be advertised as not being able to be adjusted, they can in fact adjust it (not from narrow to extra wide...but some adjustments are possible). I would highly recommend contacting Fred in Medford, NJ store and discussing with him. I think the knee rolls are a little more than what I'm used to, but after the first ride I was comfortable with them. Fits my very wide, short-coupled horse great.
    Having said all this, I was just thinking of how personal preference plays the most major role in saddle purchasing (that, along with your personal budget). It's hard to make a decision based on a BB feedback simply because for every 10 people who love the saddle you are considering, another 10 will poo-poo the idea.
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.” ~Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
    Having said all this, I was just thinking of how personal preference plays the most major role in saddle purchasing (that, along with your personal budget). It's hard to make a decision based on a BB feedback simply because for every 10 people who love the saddle you are considering, another 10 will poo-poo the idea.
    I agree with you, but as I am far from civilation I have to start somewhere

Customer service is important - this is a lot of $$ - so I'd like to avoid poor service and get a great saddle.

If there is a saddle fitting H#$L I am in it.

I've ridden in Schleese years ago and boy, they were comfy. I have a Spalding now, which is very comfy, but my leg is just too far forward in it

My gelding didn't like it (Spalding) much until it was a adjusted a little narrower - and a thick Mattes pad added. It's just too wide for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitte View Post
    I am riding in a loaner Advantage while I am waiting for my new one to arrive. I also have a long femur, so the rep suggested I get a long flap, wih a modification to the knee roll so it didn't stab me in the knee. Interestingly enough, when the loaner came, it had the same modification, with a knee cutout at the bottom of the knee roll which makes it more comfortable for me. The rep told me that this can be changed on a used saddle so you may want to look into it.

?).
    Hmmm, I may have to ask them about that - I had a rep come out when I bought mine, and I asked a lot about how to fit my longer leg, and that was never suggested! She isn't repping for them anymore, maybe I'll ask the new area rep next time she's out. That might be a good idea!

Boomer - you might also check and see if they have some used ones available - I think they will ship those out to try and return if you don't like it (at least all you'd be out is shipping cost). Good luck - saddle shopping can be a b*#$^
    www.MysticOakRanch.com Friesian/Warmblood Crosses, the Ultimate Sporthorse
    Director, WTF Registry

Did you see on the Custom saddlery web site where they have a bunch of Advantages for a special price? Click on "pre-owned saddles". If they are priced comparably to the one you are looking at, you would have an option of a trial period.

You can ask your local Custom Saddlery rep to hunt you down a used one of their saddles. Then you still get the trial period. I'd never buy a saddle without trying it. (Well, never again, cause I did that and it was just a catastrophy despite having sent an impression/model of my horse's back). I just bascially got a great brand-new looking custom saddle (the Victory from Custom Saddlery) for a non-custom price, with great service. My horse is a) hard to fit and b) extremeley sensitive, and he's finally happy now.
    "Reite dein Pferd vorwärts und richte es gerade.” Gustav Steinbrecht

Quote Originally Posted by InsideLeg2OutsideRein View Post
    You can ask your local Custom Saddlery rep to hunt you down a used one of their saddles. Then you still get the trial period. I'd never buy a saddle without trying it.
    I've been thinking about it too and I don't think I'm going to do that the "as is" saddle. It would just be blowing cash out the door.

I wish there was a "local" rep... but alas....I live in the boonies.

Custom did send me a list of used/demo saddles, but there was nothing under $2100 - those were the "special" price ones!

I took wither tracings/photos tonight, but compared my wither tracing to the one the Equation saddle guy did (the one who may or may not be back in 8 weeks) and they are different width wise. So.... one of us isn't right!