The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Broodmare or riding horse for free lease

I have a TB mare that I am looking for a temporary home for. I’ve owned “Zoë” for 6 years now. She is a very special horse, and one that I want to be able to keep tabs on and own permanently. That being said, I am currently in school, and need a place for her, either as a broodmare or to be ridden. I am open to pretty much any options, as long as she is in a good home where I can visit/get updates. I would be happy to work out a half lease or free lease to the right situation. I’ve included more information about her below. Please pass this on to anyone who would be a good match.

A little bit about her:
    • Zoë is a 13 year old, 16.0 dark bay TB mare with Bold Ruler & Seattle Slew lines
    • I got her as a 7 year old, and competed her through Prelim. She was fairly consistently in the ribbons, although her tendencies to be “fresh” in the dressage ring limited her a bit.
    • Her personality- This is tough for me, given how much I love this horse! I will try to be honest and not brag too much. She is super sweet, and wants a job. She has definite opinions, but wants very much to please at the same time. She can be very spooky, but will jump pretty much anything. She is an incredible teacher due to having specifications as to how she will be ridden. She loves to get out and hack and trail ride around. As much as she could be a complete spook, I took her out hacking (sometimes bareback) through all kinds of terrain, on roads, etc, and always felt completely safe. She is not stupid—she may spook and move fast, but is always very aware of where she is, and where her person is.
    • My only concern about her going back to work is that she had some stops her last competition season. At that time, she was pregnant, so I didn’t have the time to really work through it with her. I think it was somehow pain related (possibly just from being pregnant). I had her chiropracted, and Doctor strongly recommended something along those lines when she goes back into work. She was jumping happily and comfortably at home, so I’m not sure what the issue was. For this reason, I am reluctant to send her to a riding home, since I hate handing someone else an unresolved issue. However, I will share everything I know, if someone wants to take a chance on a super fun, talented mare. She’s a sweetie around the farm, easy to handle, wonderful for the vet, etc.
    • She was breed to a German Sport Pony in Spring 2007. She had a pretty easy pregnancy, and gave birth to a chestnut gelding in June 2008. She was a phenomenal mother-very easy to work around, and did a great job keeping an eye on the little boy. She was very comfortable with us handling the baby, and seemed to do a good job keeping an eye on him, but letting him get further and further away as he got older. Weaning was awesome- I think she was happy to have some time to herself again.
    • As I said, I’m really flexible with different situations for this horse. My mom has very kindly kept her for the last year, but I can’t leave her there any longer. If I could afford to keep her with me, I’d do it in a heartbeat, but with school I’m not sure I can.
    PICTURES:
    --http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1877&id=1173383185&l=182bed3087 (competing)
    --http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=5168&id=1173383185&l=de28669ea8 (with the foal)
    • For more information : Anna Jackson 802-881-8328 or annajackson86@gmail.com

you might want to add where you are located and note her registered name for those interested in breeding to check out her pedigree and state if her Jockey Club papers are with you or not....

Default More info

Thanks for the reminder!
    This mare's registered name is Aeolian Zephyr. She is currently located in Northern Vermont.