The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile WTD: List ALL the things you've made w/ baling twine for horse/barn this year!

In the true spirit of White Trash Dressage, let's have a confessional inventory of all the things you've made for your horse/barn/farm with baling twine this year!

Mine:

Breakable crossties. Twice. Because he did.

Emergency halter and lead rope for neighbor's goat found munching on t'side of t'road up yonder. (This is why you should ALWAYS have stray baling twine in your car. )

Klosterhof. Epic disaster of the "Why White Trash and Dressage should NOT be used in the same sentence" magnitude.

Overcheck. To keep bratty colts from trying (not illogically) to eat grass when they're being ground driven in their pasture.

Neeeeext??
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Mainly trailer ties. You know, all those metal loops and things that you think you could tie a horse to, but can't, until you have something breakable to put in between?

I must be creativity impaired, that's all I've got.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Well, not within the past year, but 12 years ago when we impulsively bought a horse at a sale (yes, still have her - fantastic mare!), we didn't have a lead rope. Had to beg the seller to leave a halter on her, but that's as far as we got. Fortunately the sale barn had a hauler available so we could get her on his load to be delivered that night.

Hubby disappeared for a few minutes while I was making buds with our new horse, then reappeared with a cool lead he had braided out of baling twine. I was surprised at his quick ingenuity. I still have it, draped over the picture frame of a favorite painting in the living room.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

no imagination here, but I sit and braid the twine into long ropes on those cold boring winter nights b/c I can't stand to waste perfectly good string. I cut the knots out and splice it by laying 6 inches of new twine over the last 6 inches of the old twine. So far I have 2 nice long tethers for the dogs (6 ply) about 40 feet long each. My barn had nice webbing stall guards at one time, but the horses destroyed the webbing eventually, so I cut the still good snaps off and braided binder twine (8 ply) onto them and made new stall guards- I threaded a length of old plastic garden hose over them, so they are a pretty green too. Plus we always use a binder twine loop for all our ties, and its great in the garden for holding things onto stakes.

Next project will be some more long ropes to hold our bales onto the truck for haying...
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Quote Originally Posted by CatOnLap View Post
    Next project will be some more long ropes to hold our bales onto the truck for haying...
    TRUCK!!! You just reminded me. My next one's gonna have to be brackets for the spare tire on my White Trash Truck until I can get real ones put on!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

-pony anti grazing device (tied from crown of bridle to grab strap of saddle)
    -standing martingale
    -stop for leather standing martingale
    -to keep a broken middle fence rail in place until I fix it
    -improptu gate hinge when the top one broke
    -to hold open the top of a double Dutch door because the screw eye came out
    -halter
    -lead rope
    -keep away from me device (it makes a lovely scary noise when you swing it through the air)
    -hold up buckets when snaps break
    -hold open the trailer divider because horsie wants room to spread his hind footsies
    -hold the bars of the back window grill together until I got it fixed and realized that horsie needed to spread his back feet (see above), which prevented him from rocking and rolling my trailer and destroying the window and grill

I'm sure there are more.... Can you tell I love my bailing twine ?

The only thing I think I've done with it was in the lesson barn I used to go to. They have these rotateable hanging halter hooks that, uh, halters hang from. Anyway, one of them had been hung pretty high and it meant someone my height (5'3") had to stretch to get halters on and off so one can only imagine if one of the kids had to use it, that it would be, uh...fun. Probably they'd be more likely to just drop the halter somewhere instead of putting it away. Anyway, an extra strand of baling twine looped a couple of times made a good method for bringing the halters down just a few inches and made it easier to reach them.

I didn't make it this year, but I did rig up a running martingale with baling twine, once! We had the part with the rings but needed a neck strap so it wouldn't hang too low. I used that for a few months. I also had draw reins. This was in addition to the "regular" uses: safety ties, hanging buckets, etc.
    ***Honorary Member of the "What is BOSS?" Cult...er...CLIQUE***
    ***Prominent Member of the 'Irrelevent Posters Clique'***
    CrayolaPosse ~ Bluegreen

Anti-grazing reins for a bratty pony.

Emergency blanket strap repair when one of the beasts chewed the front buckle off one of his sheets.

I'm sure there's more . . . between duct tape & bailing twine you can repair anything!
    ~ A true friend knows all there is to know about you and still likes you. -E. Hubbard

And here's my new dilemma...

I'm using the compressed bales--wonderful things--beautiful hay, take up 1/3 of the storage space of conventional bales, almost zero waste, don't get dusty and aggravate the asthma as badly as regular bales, etc, etc.

But, they have two draw backs... first of all, they are wicked expensive, and secondly, they are banded, so no twine!

Obviously used for hanging buckets, but I also use them as bucket scrubbers.

I take about 6 or 8 strands bundled together and start making knots until I have the whole thing knotted. Double it over and tie it to itself and there you go....bucket scrubber. It gets the slimy edges cleaned much better than any handled bristle brush.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

I temporarily repaired a hay net.

Also used twine as an impromptu leash when I rescued a stray dog.

Also used it to tie my tomato cages to stakes.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I'm in a similar boat, I stopped feeding hay to my horses 7 months ago, and now my supply of baleing twine is dwindling (I guess I can borrow from the neighbor.

Right now the only thing that I am using it for is an extension of the muck bucket handle (easier to drag with the longer handle), and loops on my mesh style stall doors, so that I can fasten the door shut from the inside with a double end snap (if I need to work in the stall and either keep the horse in the stall, or keep the horse out of the stall). And a few strands are being used on cleaning brushes (like the toilet bowl brush and the other scrubbing brush with a handle) so that I can hang them on a hook to dry.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

well the two main things that come to mind, which I have not seen here yet, of course I did not read all the posts are

rigging up torn blankets for the horses-they make good temporary straps

AND side reins on a head tossing arabX I was teaching to ground drive. He does that "arab head toss" thing. Nearly pulls your arms right out of their sockets. A bit of a tie down and he's fine.

I also use baling twine to tie up the placenta/cord/bag as it's coming out of my mare so she does not step on it and tear it.

Leg straps for a blanket
    Extender for a surcingle on a blanket
    Hold the front straps together on a blanket
    Bucket holder
    Blanket holder
    Secure a saddle stand

the list goes on...

Becky & the boys
    Becky & Red
    In Loving Memory of Gabriel, 1998-2005 and Raalph, 1977-2013

I braided three pieces together to make one braided piece, then tied the ends onto the stall door bars to make blanket holders.

My girls are the only ones in the barn who are blanketed in the winter (classic no-winter-coat TB mares), so the BO was both pleased she didn't have to purchase the blanket bars, and loved the make-do attitude (although the rest of the facility is an absolute showplace! ).
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

I use the green when I need to stake flowers or vegetables. I like the way it looks; kind of natural.

Tying up the shavings bags I use for trash.
    Tying up my tomato plants.
    Trailer ties.
    Making Hay Wreaths.
    Hanging my pine wreaths/garlands.
    Tying my hair back.
    Leash for my neighbor's annoying dog who keeps coming over.
    Tying up bags of manure I gave away on Freecycle.
    Tried to be creative with gift wrap: brown paper, stamped with ink stamps and twine for bow.

Hometown: San Antonio, TX ; Current Location: Amarillo, TX

For those running out of bailing twine b/c of lack of hay or compressed hay or whatever.... Tractor Supply (and most if not ALL tractor dealers) sell bailing twine by the box. Its HUGE but I have one in the toolbox of the truck and it is sooooo handy.

The only one I can add that we have used bailing twine for that hasn't already been mentioned is a pair of hobbles for the SO's cowhorse. He braided together many strings until it was 8 or so strands thick and then made adjustable hobbles. He is quite talented with that stuff. He ties his own rope halters, when I tried that I got them all tangeled.
    RIP Kid Gloves (Holly) 1992 TBxHanv CCI*** mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/holly
    New mare: Miss Bunny Express (Missy) 1995 AQHA Jumper mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/missy

I have for over a year now had the license plate on my horse trailer tied with bailing rope right over the previous owner's license plate. The bolts were stripped so I can't get them off!
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns