The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Cross-disciplinary wow! you tube video of a bull fighting horse

Now I will preface this to say, I do not like bull fighting, but the prowess of this horse is like a reining horse crossed with a Grand Prix dressage horse. And no I'm not saying his half passes are technically correct, but it certainly shows you the wartime origins of dressage, esp the half passes and pirouettes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgG_Gwy7Ysg
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

wow! look at that horse go!
    I'd think I'd forgive his halfpasses and pirouettes being technically incorrect for the sheer fact that they are effective in outpacing that bull Thanks for sharing, that was really cool!
    I also like the bull fighter patting the bull on the head ~1:00!!

Looks like a Lusitano to me. Very talented horse.

Nice horse who doesn't want to be gored by a bull. This is wrong on so many levels.

I used to live in Morocco a LONG time ago. My father took home video of bull fighting back then. I have an intense hatered of bull fighting from watching unedited footage of the event. Horses back then wore protective padding. I don't know if I still have the old 8 mm video that made (and makes) me extremely sick to my stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief2 View Post
    Looks like a Lusitano to me. Very talented horse.
    7/8 Lusitano; 1/8 QH

http://elenagt19.smugmug.com/gallery...38356738_XmNrD
    Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
    "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

This clip never fails to amaze me. Here's a longer version that shows the training process.

I'd like to see Marlin hunkered down and nose-to-nose with a really feisty calf.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

The horse is amazing, but I couldn't get through the video. Too upsetting. Cross watch bull fighting off my list of things to do, that's for sure.

I can see the training that goes into the horse, amazing to watch but...what sport is there for the bull? My husband tried to explain to me that this is a cultural thing but I can't wrap my brain around it. Like another poster, had to stop the video and walk away.

The poor bull and horse - I could care less about the rider.

Quote Originally Posted by Belplosh View Post
    I can see the training that goes into the horse, amazing to watch but...what sport is there for the bull? My husband tried to explain to me that this is a cultural thing but I can't wrap my brain around it. Like another poster, had to stop the video and walk away.
    Your husband is correct, a cultural thing. I've watched a few bull fights over the years, bloodless and 'real.' What sport is there for the bull? None. He dies. In 15 minutes. But, the horses I've seen are truly spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by Risk-Averse Rider View Post
    Thanks!

yep cultural ... nothing more and nothing less (and they do use the bull as food.. most cases every part of the bull)

I personally think that is a freaking talented and athletic horse. I acutally have that on my Myspace.com page. I saw it a while back
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Quote Originally Posted by Nootka View Post
    (and they do use the bull as food.. most cases every part of the bull)...
    True, and in Argentina, certain *parts* are considered a delicacy.

Another *part* is made into a walking stick, and yet another into a rather roomy change purse, though I don't know if Aunt Esther would approve.

Click here (2/3 way down page) if you dare!
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

The bulls are also treated QUITE well before they go to the ring; and you can see the spears, they are more like fish hooks. Anyone who has stuck a pin under the first layer of skin on the ends of your fingers knows that doesn't hurt.

This is what the Iberian Horse was orignally designed for (herding cows), and what they still do quite well. It is completly beyond me why people have given up on them from dressage mounts (although there were 2 or 3 in Beijiing). I happen to love my IBWB, she's not as fancy, but she's got the same moves.

I just want to know how they braid like that!!
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

Incredible.

Lordie, some people need a thicker skin. How can anyone not "make it through that video?" At the VERY least, consider it an education. There was nothing cruel or inhumane about it. Of course there are accidents, but there are accidents in nearly every sport. You don't even have to take your horse into a bull ring for it to die from being impaled in the gut. Happens in the pasture sometimes!

That was simply fantastic. Would I put my horse in a ring with a bull? Of course not. But as many have pointed out, this is cultural and like it or not, that horse and bull are darn well taken care of by the looks of things and if you can't appreciate the high level of training that horse has received to ensure he stays as safe as possible, then I don't know what to tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    True, and in Argentina, certain *parts* are considered a delicacy.

Another *part* is made into a walking stick, and yet another into a rather roomy change purse, though I don't know if Aunt Esther would approve.

Click here (2/3 way down page) if you dare!
    A Texas toothpick... Now I've seen everything

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura View Post
    A Texas toothpick... Now I've seen everything
    I'm always impressed with how longs those things stretch out too!

Actually our local pet store has every dried part of an animal your dog could possibly want to eat, I always joke I could probably construct a whole animal again if I bought enough of the pieces (and how gross would that be!!)
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

I don't really like bullfighting myself. But I didn't see one of the horse not in the ring. I just thought the horse was quite amazing.
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

Very impressive horse!!

Signature:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Trying to win a living room set to give to my fiance as a wedding present - Please vote for me - Iain Holmes (right at the top) - http://www.lovesac.com/room_planner_Contest.asp