The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pony Hunter questions

I have stumbled across a very cute pony that I am thinking of purchasing for my 12yr old ( who has been riding for years but just took a year off) to train and get going. I did pony hunters myself over 25 years ago so I am sure things have changed and bit and I have a few questions. Any answers greatly appreciated!

1. at what age can a pony get a Perm card? how so I get one?
    2. I think there are now age limits on riders? how can you be and still ride a LG pony?

As I watched the ponies go at Devon this week I was shocked at how few kids now train their own ponies, I saw tons of trainers riding ponies BEFORE classes and then kids just jumping on as they entered the ring? Is this the norm now?

thanks so much
    kim

I think 6 is the age you can get a permanent card and any age junior can show a large pony, the age restrictions are for the small and mediums, and I think (but am not sure) that its 12 and 14 respectively for them?

There are no age restrictions in the green pony divisions, as long as rider is still a junior.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I think 6 is the age you can get a permanent card and any age junior can show a large pony, the age restrictions are for the small and mediums, and I think (but am not sure) that its 12 and 14 respectively for them?

There are no age restrictions in the green pony divisions, as long as rider is still a junior.
    thanks that info is helpful!!
    kim

juniorhunter15 Guest

The age to get a permanent card is 6 and like BAC said, any junior can show a large pony or a green pony, but for smalls the show age is 12 and under and for mediums its 14 and under

Quote Originally Posted by hellerkm View Post
    As I watched the ponies go at Devon this week I was shocked at how few kids now train their own ponies, I saw tons of trainers riding ponies BEFORE classes and then kids just jumping on as they entered the ring? Is this the norm now?
    This is one of the things that makes the USEF pony finals a great show (not that Devon is not a great show). Only the registered rider showing the pony can ride the pony on show grounds at pony finals. My daughter rides/shows ponies and she does get help from our professional rider and other girls at the barn. Hopefully my daughter is learning watching the pro ride her pony and then listening while the pro explaines to her what was happening. But I will admit we are also hoping she gets a blue ribbon after paying $35 to have the pony ridden.

By the way, I'm a little jealous you got to watch Devon. I've looked at the pictures and the ponies and horses are just amazing. Maybe next year. My daughter is trying to get qualified.

Quote Originally Posted by gasrgoose View Post
    This is one of the things that makes the USEF pony finals a great show (not that Devon is not a great show). Only the registered rider showing the pony can ride the pony on show grounds at pony finals. My daughter rides/shows ponies and she does get help from our professional rider and other girls at the barn. Hopefully my daughter is learning watching the pro ride her pony and then listening while the pro explaines to her what was happening. But I will admit we are also hoping she gets a blue ribbon after paying $35 to have the pony ridden.

By the way, I'm a little jealous you got to watch Devon. I've looked at the pictures and the ponies and horses are just amazing. Maybe next year. My daughter is trying to get qualified.

It was not like that when I was riding! that is sooooo cool can you tell me where pony finals are this year, maybe I will make the trip!
    And yes we are only 45 min from Devon it has been a family tradition for over 35 years, we would not miss it for the world!

Pony finals is the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington August 5 - 9. Here is the link to the info.
    www.usef.org/Contentpage2.aspx?id=hunter
    The link doesn't look to be working. Go to USEF.org, Breeds & Disciplines, Disciplines, Hunter and you will see the link to the info and qualified lists.

try looking at the rulebook for pony finals, it will give you a lot of clear specs for the division (in general, not just at PF)

as for the age of a perm card, i THINk you can get a perm card pretty early (ive definitely encountered 5 and 6 y/o ponies in the greens and regs, so i dont think 6 is the age like someone else said) or really at any time, but i think you *do* have to kind of update it if the pony keeps growing. i doubt that happens, but generally when you know your pony is done growing, and they do obviously mature much faster than horses.

age rules:

ANY JUNIOR can ride ANY SIZE in the GREEN PONIES. i am 17, but i could still ride a small in the sm/md greens if i wanted (hah, which i actually might this coming year! dont worry, i'm only 5' tall). but for regulars, there are rules:

small ponies: riders SHOW AGE must be 12 or under.
    mediums: 14 or under
    larges: any age (as long as youre a junior in show yrs)
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Six to get a permanent card, prior to six years old the card is temporary.

Quote Originally Posted by superpony123 View Post
    as for the age of a perm card, i THINk you can get a perm card pretty early (ive definitely encountered 5 and 6 y/o ponies in the greens and regs, so i dont think 6 is the age like someone else said)
    Younger than 6 are showing with a temporary card, just because a pony under the age of 6 is competing at a show doesn't mean it has a permanent card. At age 6 it will get measured again for its permanent card, which replaces the temporary one they used when they were younger.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Younger than 6 are showing with a temporary card, just because a pony under the age of 6 is competing at a show doesn't mean it has a permanent card. At age 6 it will get measured again for its permanent card, which replaces the temporary one they used when they were younger.
    yes, that's what i was trying to say
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

i think everyone got everything.
    6 for a permanent card
    12 for the smalls, 14 is the limit for the mediums, 18 for the larges
    (show age^)
    any junior can show a large, small/med/large green

&& about devon...yes, that is the normmfor the bigg barns. especailly at the big shows. i saw MANY people doing that too this past weekend, like i see every year at devon. some of the 'pro' juniors got on the ponies too when the real pros had too many to fit in!