The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can you write me a sample "i'm leaving" letter?

There's a reason I gravitated toward numbers and sciences in college. I'm having trouble writing a simple "I won't be boarding here anymore" letter.

Can you all just share your generic letters for leaving a boarding barn you weren't at for a long time and didn't really develop any relationships at? There isn't a real reason that i'm leaving, at least not ones that I feel the need to share, I just found greener pastures!

Thanks!

I think a simple "I'm leaving on XX/XX/09 as I've found a more suitable boarding situation for Hairy Pony and myself. Enclosed is my final board payment. Thank you." would do fine.

As per the boarding contract, this is my official 30 day notice. I will be moving Dunkin on July 1, 2009. I appreciate all that you have done for Dunkin and I while he has been in your care.

Signed,
    Generic Boarder

For impersonal letters it's all in what you leave out - the actual reasons for leaving, the truth that you're not really that bonded with the place, etc. Be nicer than you think is necessary; some people will really appreciate it and then you've made a good connection, some people won't care, and some will think it's a little weird, but being nice rarely makes enemies.

Dear X,
    I will be moving Pony on July 28, 2009 (Saturday). I have enjoyed our time here, but circumstances necessitate this move. Thank you for the good care and pleasant surroundings! Pony looks and feels great, and I really appreciate it. My final board payment will be $___ on X/X/XX. I've arranged to have Pony picked up in the morning on 7/28/09. Please let me know if you have any questions or problems with these arrangements, and I'll be happy to make any adjustments.

If I haven't been there for 30 days how do I get around the "30 days notice" ?

I don't really want to offer to pay another months board because I don't want to stay another month. There's nothing wrong with the place it's just not right for me and my horse, I found a place for a 1/4th of the price that suits us much better! My horse is a pain in the butt, i'm sure they won't be sad to see him go

Dear Barn Owner,

I am moving my horse on xxxxxx.

Sincerely,

Suzy Q

Quote Originally Posted by 2LaZ2race View Post
    If I haven't been there for 30 days how do I get around the "30 days notice" ?

I don't really want to offer to pay another months board because I don't want to stay another month. There's nothing wrong with the place it's just not right for me and my horse, I found a place for a 1/4th of the price that suits us much better! My horse is a pain in the butt, i'm sure they won't be sad to see him go
    Then its kind of tough luck for you. If the contract says 30 days notice you need to pay the next 30 days wether you choose to keep your horse there or not. Some barn owners may consider giving you a break if they have a waiting list and soemone else who can move in immediatly, but don't count on it.

If you signed the contract with a 30-day notice requirement, and they haven't done anything to break the terms, then, too bad, you sucks it up and pays the money.

Now, if they've done something like arbitrarily raising the board price without giving you 30 days notice, and the contract doesn't stipulate that they can, then they have broken the terms of the contract and you can pop off whenever is convenient.

What's interesting is how many of us sign the contract and hand it back without taking a copy--even if we do read it through before we sign it...

If your contract has a '30 day notice' clause, you are obligated to pay for '30 days after notice' - if you choose to leave sooner you still are obligated to pay for those 30 days. They may consider that to be an extra month board or they may accept your '30 days as of notice'. If you are moving to such a cheap alternative...it may be easier/cheaper/more responsible to pay the extra month (if they insist) than to get into a mega-fight.

Consider this...if they have a waiting list - the person on the wait-list must also give 30 days notice to move, so the stall you vacated stays empty (no money for the barn owner) for 30 extra days. It's not just about you. In this economy a lot of boarding stables may be one month's board away from closing...be fair.
    * <-- RR Certified Gold Star {) <-- RR Golden Croissant Award
    Training Tip of the Day: If you can’t beat your best competitor, buy his horse.
    NO! What was the question?

I will pay the money or even keep the horse there for another month if that's what they want. They do have a lot of people waiting to move in but I respect their business. I actually don't see a 30 days notice in the contract but I know it is common practice so I'll have to look over it again. It was more of an issue of not saying "this is my 30 days notice)

Well if you do pay for the 30 days, you dont have to stay there.

You CAN leave, but you still ahve to pay as if your staying.
    Check out my Equine Genetics Blog! Updated April 25th with Splashed White!!!
    http://equinegenetics.blogspot.com/

Dear so-and-so,

Thank you for allowing me to board here at XXXX. However, xx/xx/xx will be our last day boarding here as per the agreement I am to give 30 days notice.

Thanks again,

You.

// You definitely don't want to burn any bridges by being short or rude, and I see no reason to say WHY you're leaving. I learned long ago that no matter how large your town is, the horse world is SMALL.

Not saying that you'd be rude, etc. just saying horse world is small so a little bit of courtesy (thanking them for their services up to that point) helps a little.

As for the 30-days notice clause, the boarder is 100% responsible for offering 30-days notice and/or paying for a full 30-days even if they're only there a week or two. Some barns can be picky and although you were there short term may either retain the full month's board, or still expect a 30-days notice and payment for those 30-days. It all depends on the BO/BM. Talking with them about the exact terms of the agreement will be your best bet.

If you know they've got people waiting in the wings, why don't you just have a conversation with them?

"BO, I found a situation for Dobbin and I'm planning to move but I wanted to chat with you about it. I can put in my notice and stay another 30, but I can also leave sooner if you've got people on a wait list. What would you prefer?"
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Question I always wondered... Do Barn owners get to double dip?

If you give 30 days notice on May 30, pay for June and leave on June 1, and then the BO brings in another horse on June 2... they get to keep your money AND the new boarders money? Do you have the right to store boxes in that stall for the 30 days since you paid for it?

Same applies when taking a horse out for training and being asked to pay full board to hold the stall. Do you have the right to request that stall stay empty - aka no new horses stored their for quarantine - no farm owners old Nelly moved in etc.

Quote Originally Posted by vacation1 View Post
    Dear X,
    I will be moving Pony on July 28, 2009 (Saturday). I have enjoyed our time here, but circumstances necessitate this move. Thank you for the good care and pleasant surroundings! Pony looks and feels great, and I really appreciate it. My final board payment will be $___ on X/X/XX. I've arranged to have Pony picked up in the morning on 7/28/09. Please let me know if you have any questions or problems with these arrangements, and I'll be happy to make any adjustments.
    Totally agree here, and if its a nice place with a good reputation, why risk your own by quibbling over the 30 days notice. Especially if you're going to a much less expensive place. If they've done nothing wrong, its just not your type of place, then they really shouldn't be made to suck up the cost of an empty stall. Its not wrong of you to leave, but honoring the 30 day notice is an investment in good-will for you as well. Why not let the BO know you'll be leaving in person BEFORE you give your notice. They may say... oh well, thanks for letting us know so soon, we have someone on the waiting list that wants to move in yesterday, so we'll pro-rate you? It may NOT happen that way, but being friendly and cooperative will usually get you further than being stiff and formal.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Drive NJ View Post
    Do you have the right to store boxes in that stall for the 30 days since you paid for it?
    Same applies when taking a horse out for training and being asked to pay full board to hold the stall. Do you have the right to request that stall stay empty - aka no new horses stored their for quarantine - no farm owners old Nelly moved in etc.
    Personally I think yes but someone who actually knows the law could probably tell you better.
    Check out my Equine Genetics Blog! Updated April 25th with Splashed White!!!
    http://equinegenetics.blogspot.com/

Drive NJ, you pay for the privilege to have your horse live on their property. You don't own the stall. Your horse could be moved to another stall. You just can't store your things in a stall. That's what storage facilities are for. Yes, barn owners can dip all they want. LOL

NO you can't store things in the stall. You can't store them there when you were boarding, you can't when you are on your last 30 days, I mean really!! What do you think, you could sign a boarding contract then put your belonings in the stall in stead of the horse? Really. You aren't renting a garage.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Thumbs down

This is the sort of thing you do IN PERSON. Especially since you have some timing issues to work out. A letter is just RUDE, plus it doesn't get those issues RESOLVED.

Quote Originally Posted by nightsong View Post
    This is the sort of thing you do IN PERSON. Especially since you have some timing issues to work out. A letter is just RUDE, plus it doesn't get those issues RESOLVED.
    Actually, a lot of boarding facilities (including mine) require written notice - although of course it would be polite to give verbal notice as well. The written notice should protect both the boarder and the BO as far as having documentation of an agreed-upon date should any argument arise from either side.