The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

ChristinaDavis Guest

Default Musical Freestyle

I have a show coming up and need a musical freestyle, it would be much appreciated if i could find one, or have help with one, if get sent one someone has preveously used. Thanks so much guys. Music alone would be great. Levels needed would be training, and 1st

There are no training level freestyles.

Have you got the qualifying score already for 1st level?

Freestyles are not usually done very quickly (at least, not good ones). It takes time to match horse to music.

ChristinaDavis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    There are no training level freestyles.

Have you got the qualifying score already for 1st level?

Freestyles are not usually done very quickly (at least, not good ones). It takes time to match horse to music.
    Yes i have and under USPC there is a training level freestyles, iv done several freestyles before, but my trainer does not want to use them at this show.

Default Budget?

How much are you looking to spend on such short notice?

Well if you use music that worked for someone else's horse, there is a high probability it won't work for your horse. That's not a musical freestyle. You might as well just pick out any music and just ride to it - same result and quite boring.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Quote Originally Posted by ChristinaDavis View Post
    Yes i have and under USPC there is a training level freestyles, iv done several freestyles before, but my trainer does not want to use them at this show.
    Why does your trainer not want to use the previous freestyles? Do you have a video online of your horse in each gait? Is this for a PC rally?

ChristinaDavis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fantastic View Post
    How much are you looking to spend on such short notice?
    just about anything resonable

"training/first level" and 'how much do you want to spend' does not go together well in my book. Then again I am cheap.

(amazes me how much less people do their own music these days compared to years ago, well before computer programs made it a snap, when things had to be done on the cassette tape, etc.)

Anyhow, good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

I completely understand your motivation, BUT as Mike Matson already stated. The music that work for one horse doesn't have to work for another horse.

Next to this , the freestyle to music give you a unique possibility, and this is hiding the weak points of your horse (or yourself) and taking to the foreground all strong points of your horse (and yourself).

Riding to a freestyle from somebody else is mostly NOT a very wise thing to do. Or you have to find a carbon copy of your horse and your style of riding.

The reason that judges (also over here) are complaining about the bad quality of the freestyles the last years has exactly to do with this factor.

It's not only about finding the music that matches the gaits of your horse, but also finding the music that upgrade your horse.

Theo
    Last edited by freestyle2music; May. 26, 2009 at 07:30 AM.

as you would say, being in the profession.

Training/first level has not a great deal of variations within each gait, it's about 5 minutes long and has pretty straight forward moves.

But to each his/her own.

Unless it's going for the BIG PC grading...
    GNU Terry Prachett

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    as you would say, being in the profession.

Training/first level has not a great deal of variations within each gait, it's about 5 minutes long and has pretty straight forward moves.

But to each his/her own.

Unless it's going for the BIG PC grading...
    Do you mean to say that at these levels they just can twitter around ?

IMHO the basics are still the same.

Theo

Quote Originally Posted by freestyle2music View Post
    Do you mean to say that at these levels they just can twitter around ?

IMHO the basics are still the same.

Theo

You mean to say they are the same as a Grand Prix? PULEEZE.

however, I see where you guys are coming from, that is your bread and butter.

I am stating that with a little of time and care you can edit your own music on the cheap, on the quick by yourself and cut out the middle man in the choreography as well.

I am rather picky with my music and my designs (not ridden) I don't give a rat's behind what whomever thinks, it's my piece of art, from start to finish. I expect the choreography and the music to reflect that.

The low levels are the place to go by trial and error and fix mistakes. And anybody saying different is full of road apples.

I can see where more care is needed when from a collected (even Piaffe and Passage) to extended gaits everything is showcased, but this is not the case at training and first.

And if I am not mistaken, PC kinda want's the participants to do it themselves. A freestyle is - contrary to the company line - not rocket science. And as the training progresses the same music can be interpreted in different ways. so don't try to sell this gig as something a pro has to do.

Some folks have a tallent for it, others don't, sure, but the general approach to meter the gaits and match the music is bogus. Horses are not tone deaf and do very well adjust themselves - within limits - to the music.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    You mean to say they are the same as a Grand Prix? PULEEZE.

however, I see where you guys are coming from, that is your bread and butter.

I am stating that with a little of time and care you can edit your own music on the cheap, on the quick by yourself and cut out the middle man in the choreography as well.

I am rather picky with my music and my designs (not ridden) I don't give a rat's behind what whomever thinks, it's my piece of art, from start to finish. I expect the choreography and the music to reflect that.

The low levels are the place to go by trial and error and fix mistakes. And anybody saying different is full of road apples.

I can see where more care is needed when from a collected (even Piaffe and Passage) to extended gaits everything is showcased, but this is not the case at training and first.

And if I am not mistaken, PC kinda want's the participants to do it themselves. A freestyle is - contrary to the company line - not rocket science. And as the training progresses the same music can be interpreted in different ways. so don't try to sell this gig as something a pro has to do.

Some folks have a tallent for it, others don't, sure, but the general approach to meter the gaits and match the music is bogus. Horses are not tone deaf and do very well adjust themselves - within limits - to the music.
    It doesn't matter if you ride Training Level or GrandPrix your goal should be the same; trying to achieve the best for horse and rider.

Forcing horses in a musical harness is the beginning of the end.

Theo

Quote Originally Posted by freestyle2music View Post
    It doesn't matter if you ride Training Level or GrandPrix your goal should be the same; trying to achieve the best for horse and rider.

Forcing horses in a musical harness is the beginning of the end.

Theo

lol, but t the low level is where the learning curve starts. you have to start some where. The musical harness is about the least problem Dressage has. but to tell you the truth, it irks me to no end when things that are simple are made difficult - more difficult than they need to be. You started mixing/making music at some time, probably way back when a double tape deck was the shit to have. of course, there is always the probability to pay somebody. But I am a DIYer, I like to do things myself. But I also don't take myself too serious. I tank it, so be it, I'll live.

W do agree that every design ought to be put together with care. The personality of horse and rider needs to be taken into consideration.

HOWEVER, while I also agree that a low level test deserves the same consideration as a grand Prix, I don't see where it validates professional involvement. of course if you have ZERO tallent in musical things and 2 left hands (both crippled) when it comes to computers.....by all means, get the help.

point is, there are programs out to try for free on download.com, that allow even inexperienced folks to edit their music. There are many places to download music, some for free, some for cheap. If you have a huge library already, it's so much easier, true, but even here you have to start some where. I just can't stomach the 'have a pro do it for you' approach...

BTW, I am not sure if they are still on the market, a few years ago I saw a few CDs featuring Isabel Werth - well sort of, freestyle music with her seal of approval. You might have to check for 'reitsport' and kur musik....

it is not rocket science...the first one will be hard, the next one easier yet and so on...to get more people to do it, IMHO, there should be less of the OMG, THE DETAILS, but a gentle nudge into the direction how things can be done.
    GNU Terry Prachett