The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Info on Matt Griffiths?

There is going to be a Matt Griffiths clinic in my area. I have not heard of him and can't seem to find any info when I google him. Apparently he has worked with the US and Candian teams. If anyone has any info on him and would like to share that would be great. Thanks!

Matt from Del Mar Horsepark? (San Diego) ?

or a different one

I know he is from California.

Can't seem to find any info on him, and my friend who told me about the clinic can't either. Apparently he is very private so she can't get his creds. Sounds kinda interesting for someone wanting to make money from doing a clinic...

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Uh, this thread looks like it might be relevant, given the use of some key words common to those used in the OP.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Can't say I have ever heard he was a "private" trainer. I don't think anyone at Showpark is.. if you can pay, you get training. Not sure there are any "big" credentials.. but I don't pay attention to him so who knows..most of what I have seen is the buying and selling over there. Doesn't mean he is good or bad at lessons.. depends on you own skill level. US and Canadian teams? in an actual team event???

What area are you in and what is your own skill level?

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Mystery link in my above post was to a post that mentioned a clinic. It included the phrase about working with the teams that was in the OP of this thread so I suspected it might be the same clinic or that whoever posted it might have additional info. My guess is that the thread I linked to may have been removed b/c it constituted advertising.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Matt Griffiths is a decent, seasoned horseman. Good with greenies as well as made horses. I don't know JumpyToo's basis for ANY of his/her statements about "private" trainers at that stable -- of course they are private trainers. They lease space at ShowPark/Horse Park and run their private businesses out of there. Matt's stable/business name is "Bridlewood." I do recall hearing that years ago (couple of decades ago, perhaps) he was a coach for the U.S. and/or Canadian equestrian teams. Not at the level of Chef D'Equip, but one of the other coaches that accompany national teams and help out at big events.

Keep in mind, everyone, that there are some darned good horse professionals out there who aren't splashed all over the internet, mostly because they earned their names back before the internet, and they spend their time training, not marketing themselves. Matt is one who runs a small, successful training operation mainly via word-of-mouth.

The purpose of clinics is not just to say you took a lesson from someone famous. The purpose is to get a different perspective on your riding, from someone you might not have the opportunity to lesson with otherwise. Do keep an open mind about who you choose to clinic with.

jumper#1 Guest

Smile Who is Matt Griffiths?

Matt is a wounderful trainer/coach! I have trained under many many trainers in my life and nothing has compared to his coaching. He can see anything and everything and can help you and your horse. Wounderful trainer! Great person to be around! Very nice!!! If I didn't think and feel that I have been inproving in my riding. There is no way that I would keep flying back and forth from my farm in the midwest!!! He is what every trainer should be. And yes good trainers don't need to be advertising all across the interenet. Thank you Dixie!!! The way you can tell a good trainer from a bad one is by taking the time to have a lesson with them. Matt is fantastic!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dixon View Post
    Keep in mind, everyone, that there are some darned good horse professionals out there who aren't splashed all over the internet, mostly because they earned their names back before the internet, and they spend their time training, not marketing themselves. Matt is one who runs a small, successful training operation mainly via word-of-mouth.

The purpose of clinics is not just to say you took a lesson from someone famous. The purpose is to get a different perspective on your riding, from someone you might not have the opportunity to lesson with otherwise. Do keep an open mind about who you choose to clinic with.
    Very true. Just because someone isn't a BNT doesn't mean they don't have a lot to offer. There are many, lesser known or unknown horsemen and women out there who are excellent instructors.

divorce certificate Guest

Default Info on Matt Griffiths?

Matt Griffith Profile Page
    GSAS Roles: GSAS Scholar(2008)
    Matt Griffith
    Primary Material: Nanostructured Materials
    Other Materials: Inorganic Materials
    Primary Expertise: Characterization
    Primary Application: Renewable Energy
    Other Applications: Energy Storage
    Primary Affiliation: University of Wollongong
    http://www.uow.edu.au/science/resear...nts/index.html
    Center/Institute: Intelligent Polymer Research Institute
    Position(s): Ph.D. Student
    City: Wollongong
    State: NSW
    Other Affiliations: Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence for Electromaterials Science

He is, apparently, setting up shop in my area. I've heard mixed reviews, and some of the contact that I have had with some of the people promoting him has been a little...well...something unpleasant. Anyway, I'm postponing judgment until I've actually seen him. Rumor has it that the new stable is very nice. However, google seems to have never heard of him so... If you attend the clinic, be sure to update us on how it was - I'm very interested to hear how this guy is. I hope he's as good as I've been hearing - we could use him in the area if he is.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

ponypremiere Guest

The post on the Divorce Certificate, is not the Matt Griffith that is the trainer. Just to make sure everyone knows.
    Thanks