The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking for info about hoof boots worn by steeplechase horses.

We have a horse who pulls his front bar shoes off way too often.

A friend mentioned that steeplechase horses often wear a kind of rubber hoof boot (not bell boots) that wraps around the hoof and might be effective in helping this horse keep his shoes on.

I have done a google search, but I can't find any info about this type of boot. I don't even know what they are called.

Anyone?
    Last edited by Percheron X; May. 25, 2009 at 02:18 AM.
    Copyright ©2007-2012, Percheron X
    My creative work may be used on the COTH forum only.

I have my doubts. ENDURANCE horses wear boots ... but steeplechase? I haven't heard of that. Possible but not that I've heard.

My daughter, who has been exercising flat racers for several years now, has been exercising a steeplechase filly this summer (filly was 4th in her maiden effort at Fair Hill Races Sat.). My daughter has not mentioned boots. I'll try to ask her this afternoon if she knows anything about boots.

I haven't seen anything mentioned in Steeplechase Times about boots. I would think it would be unusual enough that if a horse won wearing boots it would be mentioned.

Anyway, this will bump you up & maybe someone who really knows something will give you a real answer.

Does your horse compete? If so, you have to consider whether your sport will allow boots during competitioin.

Never heard of, nor seen, any hoof boots for 'chasers that isn't a bell boot. I've been working for a trainer for 10 years, and a follower of 'chasing for longer and never seen anything like you describe. Guess that doesn't mean it doesn't exist...but I've sure never seen it on a 'chaser.

I use a boot called Grab Boot from Bit Of Britain. They work great on my foxhunter who is always grabbing shoes. I have seen standardbreds race in them.

You mean like an quarter bell boot?
    View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com

Thank you all for your replies.

I think that the "Grab Boot":
    http://www.bitofbritain.com/Grab_Boot_p/937045.htm

Fits the description I was given closely. As it was explained to me as being "like a rubber band that wraps around the hoof and covers the back".

I think I will order a pair and give them a try.

The quarter bell boots look like similarly interesting prospects.

Regular bell boots however just aren't enough to keep the shoes on this horse...

Thanks again!
    Copyright ©2007-2012, Percheron X
    My creative work may be used on the COTH forum only.

Percheron X, did you get the Grab Boots? Did they work? Asking because I have lost 2 front shoes in the past 3 weeks - it's more of a footing issue than anything else, I believe, but wondered about these boots just in case!

Get the chiro out. The entire issue will probably disappear if you get a good one. Yes, I have experienced this.

Mmmm...I don't think so. He's only pulling shoes when I ride him in one particular field, where the footing (grass) is kind of uneven. He's fine in the indoor and in the pastures, which are flatter and have less grass. I appreciate the suggestion, though, and will definitely do so if he starts to have more problems!

It's gotta be the grab boots. We use them on Standardbreds alot. I use to use them when I schooled over fences because my orse was always stepping on his quarter or shoe.

I have known what you call a "Grab Boot" and have written about them for years. They originated in Italy and are popular with show jumpers. They really are like big rubber bands. They will not help your shoes stay on, but they will help protect the heel bulbs if the horse scrambles to collect himself before a jump, or over-reaches, or gets clumsy from fatigue. They don't cover the shoe or replace a shoe or fix a gait problem. If only something could!

PS And, believe me, everyone will ask you "Hey, what's that on your horse's feet?" Hopefully your horse has dark hooves and pasterns.
    Fran Jurga, Editor, Hoofcare & Lameness Journal, The Jurga Report, etc.
    www.hoofcare.com and www.hoofcare.blogspot.com
    Tweets on horse hoof / health news : www.twitter.com/franjurga

http://walshharness.com/images/pdfs/Leg_Protection.pdf

Scroll down to page 11. You might be thinking of Scalper boots. LOTS of trotters use them.

Quote Originally Posted by hoofcare View Post
    I have known what you call a "Grab Boot" and have written about them for years. They originated in Italy and are popular with show jumpers. They really are like big rubber bands. They will not help your shoes stay on, but they will help protect the heel bulbs if the horse scrambles to collect himself before a jump, or over-reaches, or gets clumsy from fatigue. They don't cover the shoe or replace a shoe or fix a gait problem. If only something could!

PS And, believe me, everyone will ask you "Hey, what's that on your horse's feet?" Hopefully your horse has dark hooves and pasterns.
    I've never used "Grab Boot" but I don't see how they would help with pulling shoes if bell boots aren't. My horse has been horrible at pulling shoes, he wears bell boots 24/7 and has still lost one or the other front shoes every 2 weeks all summer.

His last pair lasted 2 days, he lost one going x-country and thankfully didn't lame him for the show!