The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Default WAS Avocado Mist, NOW: what to use for itchy braids and an itchy tail?

My horse is a first-class braid rubber (within five minutes in a trailer, he untied himself and merrily rubbed out the top half of his braids this weekend. Note to self, learn new knots with which to safely tie horse.) A friend of mine whose horse also prefers to be unbraided suggested I spray the finished braids with Avocado Mist because it seems to soothe the itchiness. Have any of you had luck with this?

I was also wondering if it would help if I used it on my horse's tail. The top three or four inches of his tail by the dock have been recently very itchy. Sheath and under-tail area are clean; he is worm free. As far as I can tell it's just dry skin, and tail conditioner doesn't quite help it. Anyone have any experience with Avocado Mist on this kind of itchy, too?

Any other suggestions for a product that will reduce the itch?
    Last edited by Renn/aissance; May. 25, 2009 at 03:12 PM.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I've heard it is a waste of money. Dover has it on clearance if you want to try it.

I like Calm Coat for itchy problems.

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

It *might* work. I've heard mixed feedback about it--one person said it was great for their horse's coat and another person (on COTH) said it was worthless....

That company (Lucky Braids) that sells braiding supplies has a product specifically for itchy manes and tails--appropriately called "Anti-Itch salve". It's on this page about half way down: http://luckybraids.com/products.htm . It seems to me it got great reviews from the folks here on COTH.
    "A very Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year! Let's hope it's a good one--without any fear".... ~John Winston Lennon~

Thumbs down Equus Avocado Mist

Save your pennies, I don't even know WHY they make this product. It does NOTHING, in my opinion. Now...having said that, their product Micro-Tek which IS for itchiness is superb.

Like others, I did not find that the Avocado mist did anything (including detangle). I do like the Mega-tek product, however, and think that it works really well. Would also like to try the Calm Coat for itchy tail.

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Quote Originally Posted by Dune View Post
    Save your pennies, I don't even know WHY they make this product. It does NOTHING, in my opinion. Now...having said that, their product Micro-Tek which IS for itchiness is superb.
    It smells nice. A-a-a-and that's about it
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Well, then scratch that! Glad I asked before I bought it!

For those of you who like Calm Coat, have you ever tried it on braided manes? It seems to me that that's a different type of itchiness than bug bites, dry skin, etc.

For those of you who suggested the Lucky Braids salve, I thought about that but was a little surprised that it costs over $20 for just 4oz. Is it really worth the money? How long does it last?
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I use a lycra hood to help keep braids in place before a show.

As for itching, are you using any kind of product on the mane to help you braid (e.g. like hair gel or Quic Braid)?

If you are it may be the product that is causing the itching. You might try switching to something different.
    Copyright ©2007-2012, Percheron X
    My creative work may be used on the COTH forum only.

You might want to try Braid Therapy. I've used it various times and have always been a happy customer. Costs less than the salve and is really easy to apply because it's in a spray bottle. You can spray it on immediately after braiding or throughout the day to keep your horse comfortable.

http://www.jozinc.com/therapyforitch.html

There's also a link for dealers.

Good luck

Listerine mixed with some baby oil in a spray bottle has stopped my pony from scratching away the top of his tail. His neck is always itchy too (I don't braid, but he's constantly got it stuck in between fence boards somewhere ruining his mane) and the listerine is the only thing that seems to work - have tried Calm Coat - it did nothing and have the Avacado Mist - and it smells nice.

Another vote for the Lucky Braids salve.

It is pricier, but sometimes you get what you pay for.......

I'm beginning to believe solving the "itchies" comes from within. My POA used to rub the top of her tail to shreds every summer. In fact she started up about a month ago. I tried many conditioners, balms etc. It worked for maybe a day or so.

Due to being diagnosed with Uveitis, I started her on 2 ounces of Nutra Flax (thanks to another poster) and other supplements. I also use corn oil to mix them all together.

Not sure if it is the Flax or corn oil, but her coat and tail have never looked so good. ALSO, she has stopped rubbing her tail in the last couple of weeks!!!

A relief for her and myself.

Another fan of Lucky Braids salve. I rub it along the sides of the crest after braiding and most of them leave their braids alone.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

I use an african american product that I buy from walmart. Smells a little funky but certainly does a great job! (and cheap)
    "are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn...I can yawn, because I ride better than you, Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn, you, not so much..." George Morris in Camden, SC

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I haven't tried the lucky braids salve, but I did start using the shampoo on my two year old who was rubbing his way to a credible impression of a mohawked mostly maneless and tail-less HB prospect, and whether it is the shampoo or the shampoo plus everything else, he has stopped itching (up to 39 braids, which ain't bad for a TB who just got his first mane pulling about 6 months ago!)

Either way, I'm sticking with the shampoo, although I generally only use it on the manes and tails, and its replaced micro-tek shampoo as my "expensive" shampoo. I do use the micro-tek spray on my horses, but mostly after they get stuck out in the rain, as opposed to regularly.

As an aside, my guys are on veggie oil and have been forever, and the itchy one gets ivermectin every month, because his itchies are in a suspicialy sweet itch area.

Still, it's early in the year. Check back with me in September and I'll let you know if all this is working. I bought him in Ocala last year in August and left him down there until November when it was cool enough to bring him up here and geld him (figured he should have a good last bachelor herd fling). He went from full Yearling Sales Prep mode to Wild Yearling Colt and went from having a mane and tail (and muscling and fitness), albeit an unpulled one to a rubbed out sunbleached scruff monster with a grass belly. I'm not sure "management" would have helped or not, but I'm hoping for the sake of the braider (me!) that all this stuff makes a difference come late summer/early fall!
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.