The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default would you pay 950 to have a window added to your horse's stall?

My barn is adding another row of window stalls this summer, and I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on if thats worth it.

Horse has a stall guard and is always sticking his head out in the isle. Hes very friendly and loves looking around to know whats up. Hes a 16.1 buckskin, who shows on the AA circuit and A circuit when not at home. He is a great horse and I think he'd love the window, but my parents arent agreeing that its worth it. and 950 is a lot for a 15 year old to come up with in under a month. haha. Does anyone have experiences with switching over to a large window stall that I could use with my parents as evidence?

(windows are really large and the horses that have them all can stick their heads out and such) he has a little window, but i don't think it's enough for him. any idea's or suggestions to help persuade my parents?

Is this a one time 950 charge for adding in a window? If so, I wouldn't invest in someone else's property. As long as there is adequate ventilation and he can get turnout, I wouldn't worry about it.
    -Grace

Whoa, I'd want to meet the carpenter who is going to do that window!

Call around and see how much estimates are for windows. If you know which carpenter BO is going to use, call and ask how much he usually charges. I think maybe the BO is going to be making some $ off of you. My BO had windows put down one row last year, I'll ask how much the carpenter charged her per window.
    I would not mind paying for a window if I were asked to, but I'd want to make sure I'm paying for the window, not more.

---"would you pay 950 to have a window added to your horse's stall?"---

No.
    Get other bids.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    Call around and see how much estimates are for windows. If you know which carpenter BO is going to use, call and ask how much he usually charges. I think maybe the BO is going to be making some $ off of you. My BO had windows put down one row last year, I'll ask how much the carpenter charged her per window.
    Plus the cost of the actual window itself, of course .

Nine hundred and fifty dollars to add one window to one stall?

It's a helluva lot cheaper to have one window added to one house...a tilt out, thermopane, shades built into the window type window.

No, I wouldn't pay anywhere near that to add a window to a stall. When I had my barn buit it cost $85 per window...thermopane, tilt out windows.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Must be the Cadillac of Windows.

For $950, my DH will be there and do it tomorrow. No, seriously, that is overpriced.

I'm curious, are you meaning that this will be a totally different stall? Perhaps the board will now be $950? If so, that is a different question altogether.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Default Hay

I wonder if the board on the stalls with windows is $950? Could it be that?

My horses love their windows, it's like their TV. They look out all day long. The windows are the kind that the horse can stick his entire head out.
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    For $950, my DH will be there and do it tomorrow.
    I've got an electrician if you need that too!!

I don't know a lot about construction pricing, but $950 to add a window seems high to me. I'd love for my horse to have a stall with a window as the ones that do seem to like it. I'd be careful about paying an extra $950 in what is essentially a property improvement for the barn owner - because if you move to a new barn, the barn owner is going to get to keep "your" window.

Quote Originally Posted by Nes View Post
    I've got an electrician if you need that too!!
    I know a helluva painter!

Seriously. I am (well, was, until the bottom fell out of the market - actually, I think the middle fell out as well) a builder.

Depending on the window, these can get quite pricey. A good tempered (it HAS to be tempered - these are horses, so verify) low-emissions-insulated-glass window, especially if it is a custom sash size, can run $300 retail, just for the window itself, depending upon the size. Plus flashing/weatherguard is not cheap, and I assume there will be some trim carpentry done.

Again, the low-E-insulated-glass is the way to go. It helps keep temperatures indoors stable when the windows are closed.

Regardless, I still think someone is being taken for a fool. Either the carpenter is taking advantage of the BO, or the BO is slipping some in her pocket.

I absolutely would not invest that amount of money into someone else's property. You can't take the window with you when you leave, so why should you pay to put it in?

On the other hand, I might be willing to pay a small increase in board for a stall with a window.

What is it?
    Freakin' Tiffany stained glass?
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

nope. board is already 950. the 950 for the window would be a one time thing. I just want my horse to have a window stall, as hed love it but I dont want to pay that. booh

Well I think that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard to charge a boarder $950 to make their barn better. What are they going to do pay the carpenter than go to disney with the left over money?? Thats ridiculous. Your horse has a small window already. Forget that deal.

That is bizarre. What BO would add a sprinkling of windows in whatever random stalls the boarders are willing to pay for?

What happens if your horse has to move stalls? For that matter, what happens if you leave? Does the next boarder get to inherit a free window on your dime, or will the BO charge them extra for the window you already paid for?

The whole situation seems weird to me.

If I had $950 a month to keep my horse there and I was planning on staying - I would pay the money and get the window -

If you were adding the window to your own barn I would be cheering you on. But to pay for someone else's improvement to their own property? Not so much. When they sell the property, will you stand to see any financial gain? I doubt it, but with this improvement they will. Realize that in some parts of the country the price of that one window is equal to a couple of months board, a month or two of apartment rent, or the monthly payment on the mortgage on a small house. It could also go a ways to offset the heating bill of your own home this winter. I'm with your parents on this one. Sorry.

If the BO is charging that, it's probably not something you can negotiate, but it sounds like a heck of a lot of money, jeez!

I've made deals with BOs a couple of times to make improvements on their place--in each case it was a negotiation where the cost was split. In one case I finished fencing in a small, unused (because it had an incomplete fence!) paddock so my mare and her newborn foal could be out all the time and by themselves. At other places I've split the cost of stall mats, and the cost of building a few XC jumps. It worked for me at the time; these things should ALWAYS be negotiable and the cost (if it's NOT negotiable) completely fair and not the farm's means of padding their profit margin at boarders' expense.

I'm all for maximum light and ventilation, but if I were taking on this project I'd look around for a few local contractors who needed the work and ask for bids. My guess is that an honest bid will come in at less than half the amount you've been given.
    Click here before you buy.