The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

LaBelleAmore Guest

Default White hairs in coat

So the other day as I was grooming my 6yr Holst/TB mare, I noticed that she has flecking of white hairs throughout her body (which she has never had). The hairs are more on her haunches and around where the browband rests. She is groomed everyday, and is never put away sweaty. What causes the scattering of white hairs? Her coat is absolutely gorgeous, but I have no clue why she is growing in white hairs? Has anyone ever experienced this? Or know what causes it? Thanks

It's pretty common as a horse ages. My chestnut 9 year old stallion gets more white hair in his coat every year (but he's a sabino). I have two black horses and a bay that also get more white hairs every year. And these horses aren't ridden so it's got nothing to do with sweat. It just kinda happens

I just asked my farrier this today. My mustang gelding is a beautiful sorrel. He is starting over the past two years to get white hairs in his coat. My farrier said it was due to sun-bleaching. I don't know if it is or not, but it sounds good.

It might be that you horse has a racino gene.....it is often what produces all the white hairs through the coat.

Quote Originally Posted by Treasmare2 View Post
    It might be that you horse has a racino gene.....it is often what produces all the white hairs through the coat.
    Do you mean rabicano??? True rabicanos will have skunk hairs in the tail and ticking in the flanks, barrel and sometimes elsewhere.

I noticed a three year old at my barn has this too... I'm assuming not due to aging?

Mostly on her haunches as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventaholic View Post
    I noticed a three year old at my barn has this too... I'm assuming not due to aging?

Mostly on her haunches as well.
    Well, does she get more every year??? Since when does 'aging' equal aged??? I didn't say the horse had to be old. My 5 year old mare has gotten more and more white hairs on her every year since she was 2 years old (she's bay). Every year she sheds out there are more. Same with all the other coat colors in our herd. It can also be caused by sabino. Which of course, a horse with any white marking on it at all can technically be a sabino (no need for chin spots, belly spots or high whites). Or it can be due to global warming.

My 12 year old started to get white hairs in his coat when he was about 9. from a few feet away you can't even tell, and he has a gorgeous red chestnut color, but up close you can see that the chestnut is mixed with white hairs.

Is roan coloring (red roan, blue roan, etc.) related to either sabino or rabicano or is it a different animal entirely? And is roan (the color pattern) different from roaning (the process of gradually developing little white hairs over time?) For instance, a blue roan is born that way and stays that same color its whole life. But what about the horse that is born chestnut, and later in life starts sprouting white hairs? Like the previous poster's (Wizard) horse--the kind of roaning that you can't see until you get right up on top of them. Is that the same as a roan horse?

Sorry to hijack here, but I guess it's pretty closely related to the original topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven-up View Post
    Is roan coloring (red roan, blue roan, etc.) related to either sabino or rabicano or is it a different animal entirely? And is roan (the color pattern) different from roaning (the process of gradually developing little white hairs over time?) For instance, a blue roan is born that way and stays that same color its whole life. But what about the horse that is born chestnut, and later in life starts sprouting white hairs? Like the previous poster's (Wizard) horse--the kind of roaning that you can't see until you get right up on top of them. Is that the same as a roan horse?

Sorry to hijack here, but I guess it's pretty closely related to the original topic.
    The roan gene is different from roaning. A true roan will generally have dark head, dark legs and be a mix of white hairs and body color hairs (chestnut, black, bay). It's not just a few white hairs. It's a 50/50 mix or thereabouts. A lot of roan foals are not born roan but as they shed their foal coat the roan comes out. Unrelated to sabino and rabicano. Not much is known about rabicano and what causes it. Some debate if it's an expression of sabino. That's one that the horse is generally born with some signs of the the gene. I have a black mare with skunk hairs in her tail, white ticking on her barrel, flanks and hips, and 75% of the hairs around her udder are white. I would not call her a rabicano because I've had her since she was 18 months old and she didn't not have those traits at the time. Then again, her son has a probably 75% white hairs on his sheath and white hairs throughout (black) and her bay daughter has a few more white hairs every year. But more and more hairs show up every year.

Here's a close up of my 7 year old black gelding's flank. I raised him and know those didn't start showing up until he was about 3. Gets more and more with every time he sheds

http://www.tristanbaker.net/eBay/flank.jpg

we had a black brown TB mare we bought as 4 year old and the white hairs were marked in her papers. She never looked like she was graying or roaning, just had a few white hairs through out her body. She is gone for a long time now, and my memory is a bid sketchy, but I think it was the only white she had.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

SABINO.

My boy wasn't clearly sabino until he was around 10 years of age when he started getting white hairs here and there all over, in combination with a star, a snip, two back socks, and about a dozen birdcatcher spots.

I have a 7 yo chestnut TB that I've had for 4 years. In the last 2 years he's developed a scattering of white hairs - mostly on his barrel. He has no white hairs in his tail or mane and only one white sock. You can only see the white hairs if you're close enough to be grooming him.

Quote Originally Posted by SuZQuzie View Post
    SABINO.

My boy wasn't clearly sabino until he was around 10 years of age when he started getting white hairs here and there all over, in combination with a star, a snip, two back socks, and about a dozen birdcatcher spots.
    The Birdcatcher spots are an entirely separate animal, but the star and back socks of his are clearly Sabino

The snip is more likely a Splash indicator, but that's debatable

To the OP - you're very likely seeing Sabino ticking. Depending on the nature of white hairs at the top of his tail, you may also be looking at Rabicano ticking.

Definitely sounds like sabino to me. My mare is a BS paint, and her color just SCREAMS sabino.

Here we've got the roaning:

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/8806/joyroanhairs.jpg

More concentrated roaning, hind socks and a weird splash marking on her hock:

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/7498/joyroanlegs.jpg

And a big roany spot on her side, about the size of a small lemon:

http://img16.imageshack.us/my.php?im...yroanmark3.jpg

(Not a saddle sore, as she's had it before she wore a saddle. Also, that's just the flash on her shoulder, she's not THAT roany.. yet! )

My mare's got a bunch of roany white hairs, and she gets more every year. She's also got a big wide blaze, and at least 6 more of those concentrated roany spots. She also has a Bend Or spot on her hindquarters..

..I keep tellin her all she needs is a few Birdcatcher spots now, and her collection of weird color markings would be complete!
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I have a 50-year-old mare who keeps getting more and more white in her hair every year -- oh, wait, that's me! :-)

But also true for my 16-year-old chestnut mare . . .

My Arab must have the Rabicano gene, as she has white hairs growing from the dock of her tail, and is flecked with white all over. She also has white patches the size of quarters in the middle of her back that look like saddle sores, but she was born with them. This spring she has a lot more skunk hairs than she did last year. And the roaning on her flanks and belly gets more and more prominant also. Kinda sucks because she's a dark bay but oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two View Post
    My Arab must have the Rabicano gene, as she has white hairs growing from the dock of her tail, and is flecked with white all over. She also has white patches the size of quarters in the middle of her back that look like saddle sores, but she was born with them. This spring she has a lot more skunk hairs than she did last year. And the roaning on her flanks and belly gets more and more prominant also. Kinda sucks because she's a dark bay but oh well.
    I've seen more Rabicano Arabs than any other breed. I wonder why that is?
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!