The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bobby's bridle sizing

I found a very nice black figure 8 bridle on their site. I have a Vespucci full size figure 8, and wanted to know how the sizes compare. I know that the Vespucci's run big, how about Bobby's? Any info is greatly appreciated!

I have a Bobbys regular horse size, not figure 8. Don't know if I can really help but...I have a 14.3 QH mare that wears it. It is on the highest hole in the throat latch and up pretty high on the sides. She wears it nicely but it would also fit a bigger horse.

My dainty headed 16.2 TB wears a cob in Bobby's...and wears a cob in everything else. www.eqtack.com has an illustrated size chart--lemme see if I can link to it.

Here you go: http://www.eqtack.com/catalog/sizes.php

I don't know about Vespucci, but I just bought a Bobby figure 8 bridle a month ago. Out of 4 new figure 8 bridles I've purchased (all different brands in 'Full/Horse' sizes) Bobby's was the only one that actually fit my TB's head and needed no adjusting what so ever.

It's funny b/c I always buy the 'Full/Horse' sizes as my horses are 16.2 & 16.3, but find that I always have to adjust the bridles to get them to fit properly. When I put the Bobby bridle on I was fully expecting to have to make adjustments & was just shocked that I didn't.

Ironically the Bobby running martingales I purchased were enormous!!!!! The Full size was insanely large. Cob too big. I even tried their Pony size b/c it looked more like my old 'Full' size I was still using. Even that was too big in some areas & ultimately didn't fit right. Strange. I gave up on Bobby’s martigales and eventually purchased a Full Ovation & it fits great.

Love the leather on Bobby's tack though.
    Last edited by EquiSport; May. 25, 2009 at 09:09 AM.

I've had good luck with Bobby's. They seem to fit all of my horses great. From my petite 16h refined TB gelding, to the whopping 17h Warmblood who wore XL Beval Sz 4 boots, the virtually cob-sized TB and the standard "horse sized" TB as well....
    http://www.stoneridgeeventing.com

you can also customize them easily. My big guys (17h draft x and 17.2 wb) go in wb size bobby's with horse size cheekpieces.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

My normally cob-sized horses go in full Bobby's bridles. 15.2 and 15.3 TBs and a 15.3 Appendix.

i have both -- not in the figure 8s though..
    after oiling the vespucci stretched quite a bit. it fits my mare but all the way cranked up. the bobbys fits more true to size IMO.
    If your not being a good example than you'll just have to be a horrible warning. =o)
    http://www.maneandtail.com
    breeders of quality tb's and welsh ponies.

JumperSJ Guest

I have a Ves. Figure 8 and a Bobby's english tack Flash. the Bobby Flash is definatly my favorite. My Ves fits really weird on not only just one horse but every horse i have ever had it on. Yes it is beauitful and made nicely, but i by fare prefer my Bobbys Flash on all of my guys (and i like the price too). I have a full size, It fits my boy who wears a cob if i put it on the top hole, all the way to my other boy that wears an oversize. It not only looks nice but the leather is good quality and the way it is sewn is good too. I support Bobbys.

Vespuccis run huge and stretch. I dislike them a good bit. Bobby's tend to run "true" to size. Full is a full and pretty fits most average sized horses. Cob size is a bit of a small cob, but not super small. A very refined head will fit it, but just a smallish head will do better in a full. We are awaiting the arrival of an oversize from them. Will be interested to see how it compares.

I can vouch that the WB size in Bobby's is just about the biggest WB bridle you can find. If anyone can find a bigger cavesson, let me know!

Thanks to all for your great info! As of today, I'm bridleless. As I was putting the Vespucci on the sasquatch-17.3, he decided to leave, with only the reins over his head. All I could do was watch him trample and destroy my bridle. It didn't rip like regular leather though. It has nylon sewn in the crown area that attaches to the rest of the leather pieces. It shredded completely. I don't know if that would be good or bad in an accident, because it didn't come apart. Oh well, I'll need 2 bridles now. I think I'll give Bobby's a shot. I have their XL reins and really like them. Always something to need or replace w/ horses, sigh.

Default I use both

I am not however using the fig.8. I have dressage bridles from Bobby and Vesp. on my Irish Draughts. Two of my Irish Draughts heads are larger than everyone elses warmblood sized bridles...only the Bobby's and the Vesp. fit them. The Bobby's is a bigger in the noseband but I have a mare with a very broad deep nose. The Vesp. is on the last hole of the noseband. I have not had it stretch at all and wish it would. I have friends with the Vesp. for their Irish Draughts and they have had no stretching either. I have had breakage with the Bobby's throatlatch...the buckle is hangin by a sliver and I need to make time to get it fixed. I love the price of the Bobby's. I consider the Vesp. my nice bridle...it is prettier. However I have bought several Bobby's. They are my work bridles in a sense...my backup. PatO

I have a Bobby's cob sized dressage bridle. It is very small and I would say is more pony sized than cob sized. It fits my 14.3 hand mare but none of my other horses that are 15-16 hands and normally also wear cob.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Wings View Post
    I have a Bobby's cob sized dressage bridle. It is very small and I would say is more pony sized than cob sized. It fits my 14.3 hand mare but none of my other horses that are 15-16 hands and normally also wear cob.
    Yet my Bobby's cob sized dressage bridle fits my 16.2 TB's head perfectly.

Need some advice about Bobby’s and thought I could hijack this thread.
    I bought a WB size and it was on all the smallest adjustment, the head band was sticking way out, traded it for a full size (different style) and it is too small on the largest setting. Almost in her eyes. She is 17h, with a good sized head.
    The tack shop said they could stretch the full or punch holes on the WB to make it smaller. I would like to find a better solution if possible.
    Any suggestions?

Picture of her head http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/a...andMookie2.jpg