The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ****FILLY 5/30***...Waps Skip N Line at Altamont Sport Horses

Waps Skip N Line (aka Cricket) has been moved to the large foaling stall and we are streaming via MareStare at http://www.marestare.com/cam.php?alias=altamont

Cricket is expecting an Appaloosa Sport Horse foal by ATA approved Trakehner stallion Tanzeln. This foal will be a full sibling to Cricket's 2007 filly Tallulah Belle. Cricket is a good sized few spot leopard appaloosa mare with 3/8 TB blood. Because she is homozygous we know that the foal will have appaloosa characteristics regardless. She is, however, carrying only one copy of PATN1 which causes high white patterning, near leopards and full leopards.

Cricket's bag is tight and sore so I have not been able to test her milk but her vulva is loose and swollen, hind end soft and has been stomping her feet in discomfort. Cricket did not wax or drip milk with her first foal. She is currently at 334 days and went at 332 (10:30 p.m.) in 2007.

She is in and out of the stall at the moment but I will keep her in the stall for the evening (around 6 p.m. CST) and finish getting her stall ready for the big event.

Feel free to watch and please do call anytime of the day or night if you see something to be concerned about or she appears to be in active labor. 205 - 213 - 8452
    Last edited by Altamont Sport Horses; May. 30, 2009 at 10:23 AM.
    Altamont Sport Horses
    Trakehners * Knabstruppers * Appaloosa Sport Horses
    Home of stallions: Ambrosius af Asgard "Atlantis" & Hollywood Hot Spot
    Birmingham, AL

Good luck on not having to watch too much more. Have you tried some warm, wet clothes on her udder?

Quote Originally Posted by trakmom View Post
    Good luck on not having to watch too much more. Have you tried some warm, wet clothes on her udder?
    Not yet but am planning on doing that tonight when things quiet down.
    Altamont Sport Horses
    Birmingham, AL

Default not yet...

No foal last night but Cricket is visually worn out. There was a lot of tail wringing and stomping going on last night as well as head bobs (like "Ouch!"). Her head was really hanging this morning and she wasn't as enthusiastic about her morning grain as she usually is. I've opened her stall door so she can come and go as she pleases during the day but suspect she will choose to spend more time in the stall. The movement is good for her so I will keep the door open to the stall all day unless she starts acting like she is ready to go. It is too muddy to be foaling outside and I prefer a controlled environment in case of a problem.

She is currently munching hay outside the stall with her hind end camped out and tail elevated at times and pretty much moving non-stop. No doubt about it, she is uncomfortable.

I'm staying home from work today to watch her and maybe catch a nap. Maybe she'll keep me going like this for a week, you never know. She is at 335 days today.
    Altamont Sport Horses
    Birmingham, AL

I've been watching her, and she sure keeps her tail busy. She is eating though, so I wouldn't think she is really close. My mare is only 50 days in foal today, so I have a long way to go before I am in your shoes. Good luck.

I've been watching her, and she sure keeps her tail busy. She is eating though, so I wouldn't think she is really close. My mare is only 50 days in foal today, so I have a long way to go before I am in your shoes. Good luck.
    Thanks! She is a tough mare and pretty stoic so I am reading between the lines with her. It's the little things...not demanding her feed, stomping at more than flies, a little elevated tail action and the head bobbing I was watching last night. She also has been acting more needy for attention. She didn't act obvious with her first foal either and she ate pretty consistently all the way up until her water broke. She might not be ready but I am suspicious so we will act as though she is.

It looks like we're going to have more nasty thunderstorms today and tonight as well so that would just be icing on the cake. Perfect weather for foaling.
    Altamont Sport Horses
    Birmingham, AL

I have not found that a lack of appetite is much of a sign in my mares. Several of my mares never loose their appetite.

Last year one mare ate her whole breakfast (and wanted more) so I thought I was safe taking a nap, as I had been up the whole previous night watching her. I took, maybe, a 1 hour nap came back out and there was a DRY foal standing at the fence with her. She delivered that baby right after eating all of her breakfast.

I've had them continue eating when you would think that food should be the last thing on their minds. Cricket did not go off her grain or hay with her first foal. She did slow down and with her hay she would walk off, circle, maybe pause for a bit and then come back to the hay instead of just sucking the hay down non-stop.

I think "neediness" is a very good indicator with my mares even when the other physical cues are iffy.

Cricket is currently eating grass nubs in the paddock. She has had a few good rolls and stretches. She might be coming back to the stall for a break but I wouldn't expect anything until evening. I feel pretty safe taking a nap now (famous last words, right?!)
    Altamont Sport Horses
    Birmingham, AL

I can't tell which goes more her tail or her mouth. I can't imagine her getting any bigger as it looks like her skin over her spine is ready to pop right out. Now if that baby would just pop right out. Maybe tonight Karrie.

It wasn't easy but I was able to collect some "milk" from Cricket tonight. According to the fluid I expressed she is not ready. So unless she is one of those mares that changes super fast then we should not be expecting a foal tonight. It was clear yellow with high pH and low calcium. I did not test her milk when she was ready to foal in 2007 so I have no idea how fast she changes.

I do know she is uncomfortable but perhaps this is the false labor type symptoms they often show about 1 week out. She has not had a comfortable pregnancy this time. I don't know if it is the size of the foal or perhaps positioning. She had a lot of discomfort around day 289, was colicy, etc. We treated her for colic even though all gut sounds and palpation indicated everything was normal (including a live, active foal).

I will be watching her throughout the night regardless of the milk test results albeit probably only on an hourly basis and keep an eye out for unusual behavior.
    Altamont Sport Horses
    Birmingham, AL

Sneaky mare! No significant milk changes or behavioral cues and then broke her water in front of me at breakfast time.

Beautiful black filly with blanket and spots, star/strip, one fore white, lovely dishy face and long legs. You can see her http://www.marestare.com/cam.php?alias=altamont

She's already running around but hasn't figured out the milk bar yet.
    Altamont Sport Horses
    Birmingham, AL

Dam has passed the placenta, filly has nursed and passed some meconium.
    Altamont Sport Horses
    Birmingham, AL

Yaaah for you and your sneaky mare LOL!! Glad all is well and mom and baby are doing fine.
    Dawn

Yeah!!! Congratulations Karri!!!!!!
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

Congrats, she's beautiful for sure!!
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

Congratulations! She sure looks beautiful from what I can see. She's laying down now.

Congratulations!! Beautiful markings, and you gotta love those long legged fillies!! I peaked at her late last night on the camera and thought to myself that she was no way gonna foal. She fooled us all. Congrats again.

LOVELY filly! Congratulations!
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Awwww.... BEAUTIFUL filly! I've been watching her for the past 1/2 hour. She certainly looks strong & healthy. Woops, there she goes down for her nap...

Congratulations!!

Thanks everyone! She definitely is a cutie pie and spunky as can be. She was having some trouble passing meconium but after an enema she seems to be passing it on her own now even if her hiney is a little sore. Apparently she feels pretty good now...already running circles around mom.
    Altamont Sport Horses
    Birmingham, AL