The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default To the Cash-strapped BOs-a ?

What other kind are their?

I can go talk to BO but wanted to see if this was common or possible 1st.

I have been dismissed from work. I have 2 horses to pay for to the tune of about $1K/mo. Thats a lot. I dont think just waiting to pay board until I am working is going to be "workable". I have savings but they are going fast. I dont want to sell (market sux) or lease but Im thinking cheaper board is going to help a lot. Im thinking cutting in half would be doable.

SO I can volunteer where i am in return for board or move them somewhere else that would be cheaper. If you had me, would you reduce board of let me go elsewhere?
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

It depends on the situation the BO is in. I have let people work off board or lessons before, HOWEVER right now I have empty stalls I need filled so I need the board money.

It doesn't hurt to ask...the worst they can do is say "no."
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I agree, I think it depends on the BO's situation. Can't hurt to ask.

Where I used to board before bringing my horses home, I did that from time to time, would work off some of my board bill. It saved the BO from having to pay someone on Sunday afternoons (or whatever day I was filling in). But without seeing the BO's budget, it is hard to say.

Another option for you might be this. If your horses would be suitable for a lesson program, perhaps you can also let the horses work off their board. I have done that in the past also, when my board bill would have been 1K a month, one of my horses was used in their lesson program in lieu of board for her. It was a win-win situation, the barn got the use of a decent lesson horse (I paid all the vet, farrier, and supplement bills), and I got a stall, turnout, shavings and feed for the horse in exchange.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Whatever you do, talk to the BO immediately about the situation. Poor communication creates so many problems. Be frank, straightforward and open about your situation. I suspect that the BO may be able to work with you or have some ideas for you. What the BO is NOT going to be happy with is no board payment and no communication about it.

I woudlnt not pay the BO. And I woudlnt move without talking to BO. Theres already empty stalls so maybe more arent wanted? No employees to pay so theres just the perk of not doing something if I do it instead. Lesson horse might work but theyve already got plenty & the horse in ? is very nice--to nice for yanking by beginners ( and no so beginners). My horse is two green for that unfortunatly.

Maybe pasture board for a while at ar educed rate would be the best for all. Ill ask.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

pasture board all summer is the perfect solution.

If your BO doesn't have or offer that, ask if you can go down to 'self-board' where you buy your own feed/bedding/hay and do your own stall and water cleaning, and have her just do the actual feeding for you.

If BO can't/won't do that, see if you can help around the farm, not just horses but mowing, fix fence, grooming for shows, arena drag/water, chores, house cleaning, babysitting, house painting, gardening....anything BO is paying out-of-pocket for.

Barter system is the new underground economy. $1,000 board with no job will wipe out your savings tout suite. Suze Orman would NOT approve!

I agree with everyone here. I have worked off my board in the past and now that I'm a BO I have worked out deals with others. Whatever you do, make sure both parties are clear on what is expected, the duration if any so that there are no hard feelings etc. Good luck!
    Our horses know our secrets; we braid our tears into their manes and whisper our hopes into their ears.

Exclamation

As a BO I have worked with people to try to help them over their hump. I always try to give a hand up when I can. Here are a few things I have done:

Pay board weekly, or bi weekly so it's not so huge a sum at once.

Allow a boarder to work off a portion or all of their board by cleaning stalls, grooming, mowing, cleaning my house, etc.

Allow them to make it up when they can(dangerous - 1K multiplies FAST!)

Take items or horses or what ever in trade for board - I have taken in trade saddles, horses, trailers, a bass boat, and a car to name a few things.

Once in awhile kindness and compassion can back fire and the BO gets screwed. But usually it works out fine as long as the HO is up front. And as long as the HO understands that I will do what I can afford to do for you. If I can't I do expect you to find a way to pay promptly. Please do not make your problems my problems.
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Woodland, be careful who you call a HO...
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

When I lost my job last fall my trainer was one of the first to know. I was paid ahead a month, so my show horse stayed there 'til that was up, then she came home. Fortunately I have my own farm - I can feed the whole herd for less than it costs to keep 1 horse in training. She was a little upset, and wondered if it was something she did wrong, but I assured her it was simply a matter of money. I'm sure I could have worked off part or all of the training/board- but that would have cost her money. I figured there's no reason to make my problem her's. I am always welcome there, and actually get "harrassed" for not coming over to ride more often.

If I were the BO in your situation, and I could afford it, I'd do everything I could to help you stay. But if you had to leave, I wouldn't have any hard feelings. However, some people get their panties in a twist over silly stuff, so YMMV depending on your BO's personality.

If you've got time enough to work at the BARN, I suspect you've got time to work at something that brings in a BUNCH more per hour than cleaning stalls or whatever you'd do there.

I have to agree with nightsong. Barn will credit you maybe $7-8 an hour? You can make a lot more than that temping or doing landscaping or cleaning for a landscaping or cleaning company rather than your BO.

If you can combine cash and some work credit that's probably fine but if you're trying to pay off a $1K a month board bill at $7/hr it's going to severely cut into your available time to make better wages elsewhere.

Yes I could work $10/hr jobs. Dont forget taxes, tho!

Thats the beauty of baretering!

Quote Originally Posted by nightsong View Post
    If you've got time enough to work at the BARN, I suspect you've got time to work at something that brings in a BUNCH more per hour than cleaning stalls or whatever you'd do there.
    Maybe so, but if the OP is collecting unemployment, she'd do best to take the unemployment until she can find a suitable job - if her benefits are high enough. For example- I'm finally getting unemployment- it's $415/ week + $50 every 2 weeks as part of Obama's economic help plan. I would have to find a job paying better than $10/hr to come close to what I'm getting in unemployment benefits-not an easy task around here. I'd be stupid to take a full-time $7-8/hr job. (I'm working part time- but I won't bore you with the long story of why.) If she can work under-the-table for a reduction in board, so much the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Amwrider View Post
    Woodland, be careful who you call a HO...
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Good aadvice shakeytails. Thanks though Im sorry you have the situation at all. Good luck to you.

I figure the underthetable economy is growing with all the problems people are having. In our state signing up for all the tax witholdings is a pain, plus all the forms you have to do. Much easier to let someone work off board than go thru all that.

I'm in the same position and just talked to my BO about it. She was wonderful. My horse and I have been there 4 years with never a late payment and my horse has never chewed, broke or otherwise damaged anything in that time. She also is easy to be around in general. I already was cleaning my own pen for a savings, now I will be cleaning the whole barn 2 days a week for a significant break, and 'housesitting' when she goes away to shows, etc. She does also have a group pasture option if I needed to go lower, but thats a last resort for me.
    Don't toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

Quote Originally Posted by shakeytails View Post
    Maybe so, but if the OP is collecting unemployment, she'd do best to take the unemployment until she can find a suitable job - if her benefits are high enough. For example- I'm finally getting unemployment- it's $415/ week + $50 every 2 weeks as part of Obama's economic help plan. I would have to find a job paying better than $10/hr to come close to what I'm getting in unemployment benefits-not an easy task around here. I'd be stupid to take a full-time $7-8/hr job. (I'm working part time- but I won't bore you with the long story of why.) If she can work under-the-table for a reduction in board, so much the better.
    I didn't suggest refusing unemployment OR working full-time at 7-8/hr (that figure came from someone else as a guess of the payment for the OP's barn work). Just working at higher-dollar jobs instead of lower-dollar jobs when you need money. Not so wild a concept.

Quote Originally Posted by nightsong View Post
    I didn't suggest refusing unemployment OR working full-time at 7-8/hr (that figure came from someone else as a guess of the payment for the OP's barn work). Just working at higher-dollar jobs instead of lower-dollar jobs when you need money. Not so wild a concept.
    Pretty wild when those high dollar jobs are thin on the ground, as they are now.

I had a boarder who paid me in quarters sometimes. If your BO can allow you to stay without losing money, there is no harm in asking. Best of luck to you. These are hard times like I have never seen before. Let's hope there are better times ahead for all of us.