The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I had a gelding with fibrotic myopathy in one hindleg. IIRC it was most noticeable at the walk but noticeable at the trot too. He happily jumped 3' courses, it was better the more he was worked, and he went on to be a very successful field hunter.

Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdCharm View Post
    it was better the more he was worked, and he went on to be a very successful field hunter.

Jennifer
    That's generally the best approach with such issues, sone cautiously and alowly of course. In some cases the existing adhesions need to be broken up to reestablish more normal range of motion. How far it can improve can be very individually. But as the old adage goes - use it or lose it. Babying an old injury that otherwise healed fine too much can make things worse

Can a machanical lameness present with an actual head bob at the walk.

I don't know the answer to your question about the presentation at the walk, but to answer your other question (whether mechanical lameness can improve), I'd like to share my story (on the basis that anecdotal evidence is just that...use it, don't use it, you know?)

My horse did his suspensory as a 3yo. It was treated and confirmed healed. As long as he is in regular work, he presents sound, although I don't feel that he is 100% sound (but that may just be my paranoia). He also doesn't feel 100% straight. General thinking is that, because the suspensory was undiagnosed for so long (stoopid, stoopid, vet) and he was simply on paddock rest for four months and not box rest, as he should have been, he has developed some muscle atrophy higher up, and perhaps a "shortening" of that ligament. Although he is not in pain on that leg (confirmed on nerve block and through use of bute), he is slightly short at the trot, and I warm him up doing lateral work, and work at the canter, to "free" the shoulder. He earns good marks for his gaits on his dressage tests, and only occasionally does a judge remark, on one movement or so in the test "slightly uneven at trot".

He's been out of work now for a month, rested because I've had a lot on my plate, and he's now feeling very uneven. I'm working him through it slowly, mainly through doing lots of walking - long, straight lines - and hillwork, but I've noticed that he feels noticably more "crooked" at the walk. He doesn't bob his head at the walk, but he feels as if he wants to "pop" at his weaker shoulder.

You might be dealing with adhesions/scar tissue Kealer. Have you considerred some massage work?

I have a friend who broke her ankle in an unusual spot. It healed fine, but she started babying it when it hurt and it got worse and worse. I told her that she needed to challenge it more or otherwise the restriction will increase. She did and it really helped.

I personally had similar issues after my hysterectomy......

Quote Originally Posted by BornToRide View Post
    I personally had similar issues after my hysterectomy......
    Must be hell walking around on that thing.

Default Fibrotic myopathy

Shawnee,

you are describing what I have been dealing with. So..you did notice yours getting worse if you did not do dressage type riding on him? I do some of that, in hopes of keeping him straight and balanced, and do notice having to really drive the rt hind to keep him up under. my main problem..is that at the strong canter I can feel it. At a dressage, collected and in hand, no..but took him to a foxhunt trailride..this weekend..and I did notice it I think at the hand gallop. my husband suggested I practice galloping him more..which means out of the arena and to a place to really stretch him out. Did you ever encounter something similar with your guy?

Thankyou!

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdCharm View Post
    I had a gelding with fibrotic myopathy in one hindleg. IIRC it was most noticeable at the walk but noticeable at the trot too. He happily jumped 3' courses, it was better the more he was worked, and he went on to be a very successful field hunter.

Jennifer
    That is exactly what I want him to do..! field hunt..so just keep asking him to gallop and the adhesions will change or loosen..? His Fibrotic myopathy is rt rear. Nice to hear of you success!! thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mary beth View Post
    That is exactly what I want him to do..! field hunt..so just keep asking him to gallop and the adhesions will change or loosen..? His Fibrotic myopathy is rt rear. Nice to hear of you success!! thanks!
    Yes, but without forcing - the slower the better. Just keep consistently working with it and take your time I would also support this with massage work at the same time.

I used Tens treatment and a proper rehab protocol once the suspensory was properly diagnosed (by a second vet, four months later), but I suspect that there was some scarring in that suspensory as a result of the initial misdiagnosis.

I'm not sure that massage is now going to sort out the suspensory. He receives three-weekly physio / chiro work for the back / shoulder issues.

Massage can help break up scar tissue.

I've always been under the impression that mechanical lameness is the horse is not lame because it is in pain.. it's lame because of a mechanical issue where usually there's something amiss in the soft tissue (ie, scarring or something) where the limb just CANNOT move how it's supposed to.

But of course I'm not a vet, but from what I've been told, that's how I understood it.

Based on that, my mare had a shoulder injury that seemed to become a mechanical lameness. She was on bute therapy for a week, a whopping 4g a day for 3 days, then 3g for 2 days, then 2g for 2 days. Absolutely NO improvement in her lameness with her being buted up to the gills.

When the vet came back after the week of bute therapy, and I told him she was lame as ever with 4g of bute in her system, he was pretty surprised. She was head-bobbing at the walk a little bit, very short-strided in the front, and VERY head-bobbing lame at the trot.

The mare never acted like she was in pain, it was the oddest thing. She was never hesitant to use the injured shoulder, but had the biggest limp! She'd come trotting over to you, gimpy as ever, with ears perked and happy as could be. I don't even think she knew she was lame..
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    I've always been under the impression that mechanical lameness is the horse is not lame because it is in pain.. it's lame because of a mechanical issue where usually there's something amiss in the soft tissue (ie, scarring or something) where the limb just CANNOT move how it's supposed to.
    Yes - something that mechanically restricts the range of motion

The mare never acted like she was in pain, it was the oddest thing. She was never hesitant to use the injured shoulder, but had the biggest limp! She'd come trotting over to you, gimpy as ever, with ears perked and happy as could be. I don't even think she knew she was lame..
    Did she ever improve?

Yes - something that mechanically restricts the range of motion

Did she ever improve?
    Yes, 8-9 months later she's ALMOST sound again. The vet's supposed to be coming out within the next week to do another lameness eval.. and I'm keeping my fingers crossed we'll pass with flying colors. I'm so excited, it's been a long long long rehab, and we're finally getting back on track!

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    Yes, 8-9 months later she's ALMOST sound again. The vet's supposed to be coming out within the next week to do another lameness eval.. and I'm keeping my fingers crossed we'll pass with flying colors. I'm so excited, it's been a long long long rehab, and we're finally getting back on track!
    Sounds great! Best wishes!!

Sounds great! Best wishes!!
    Thank you! I'm hoping to post an update about it once the vet sees her, I know a couple people have been following miss gimpy mare's saga.

Thanks I will update after the soundness exam on all four. I really appreciate hearing everyones stories, I feel like I have learned alot.

sad update on page 1