The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Default New guy from Canada not transitioning to the heat well

I have a big DWB that came down here to the southeast coast about a month ago. He was doing ok, until we got ambushed by a 4am mega-thunderstorm tuesday morning. He got pelted with rain, and developed rainrot hives almost immediately. I got a little bit of steroid and anti-inflammatories in him right away, but of course this all coincided with this killer heat wave and now he has quit sweating. And he is ITCHY and losing all of his hair on his butt.

So, my question is, what else can I do for him? He has started on Guinness, One A C, and SMZ. We are having to hose him many times during the day to keep him from overheating, so anything that involves keeping him dry isnt gonna work!

I have 3 other canadian imports that are doing fine in the heat, but what elese can I do to help this one transition?
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Time. Keep in mind too that different parts of Canada have VERY different climates. It's not all tundra or cold! When I moved my gelding from temperate WA state/BC to Ontario, it took him probably a year to adjust to the hot, sticky, buggy summers, and then of course the frigid winters. Many parts of Canada actually have very hot, humid summers -- not South Carolina hot/humid, but close. I would say as long as you keep him out of the sun as much as possible, fans on him/cool baths as needed, and make sure he's getting plenty of water, he'll adjust over time.
    Gentleman J - "Junior" - My been-there, done-that jumper

Send Your Love - "Serena" - Aug 10th 2009, Rest in Peace

Sounds like you are doing the right things. Electrolytes with the ONE A/C Summer Games is good for hot humid areas. My older gelding has problems with the heat. He is out at night and inside under 2 fans during the day. For emergencies I also have a Horse Koozie that can be used to cool the chest. go to equinekoozie.com. I think some members of this board have used another supplement. I never had any results from dark beer.

Yep, takes time and the stuff you are doing. We imported a New Zealand TB a few years ago-we live in hot humid southern Indiana, and he was coming from winter. Not the best timing. He lost ALL his hair and of course they don't have the bugs we do so he was pretty miserable. He did fine, two fans on his stall, turnout and lots of water.

Many years ago I was at a barn and a TB arrived off the Florida Winter Jumper Circuit. He was wrapped in blankets from head to toe. A few weeks later it was hot where we were the barn owner threw him outside to let down. He did exactly what your guy did. But he got so bad that almost all of his skin came off and he almost died! It was horrible. In the end it was steroids and antibiotics that saved him. If he were my horse I would go buy one of those misting nozzles that goes on a fan and hook that up for him. I would put him on a steroid and antibiotics. Clearly, I was traumatized by what I saw. I am sure you are way more on top of this than the BO where I was and you have it under control and it won't get to the point that I saw. Good Luck!

Try putting up a misting line to keep him cooler, you can find these in the garden department at nurseries for about $10. I got a pony who had lived in San Francisco, near the beach, for many years --- think freezing cold summers. He arrived at my house during an August heat wave. It took him several weeks to adjust. It sounds like you are doing the right things. Good luck!

why the SMZs?

I have had better luck with Let Em Sweat than I did with One AC. www.equi-fab.com no I don't own stock in that company but I do have an anhydrotic QH

A misting system is a great idea for the poor guy.
    Last edited by katarine; Jun. 22, 2009 at 12:26 PM. Reason: corrected bad link. Bad link, Bad!

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    why the SMZs?

I have had better luck with Let Em Sweat than I did with One AC. www.equifab.com no I don't own stock in that company but I do have an anhydrotic QH

A misting system is a great idea for the poor guy.

Ummmm, am I missing something? All I could see on the equifab site is a spreader type of thing.

Googling Let Em Sweat doesn't give me any results. Any links to it? A friend has a non-sweater in Texas and is ready to try anything. She said she didn't have much luck with the One AC.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Default Hay

I know you probably know this but if you can feed the electrolytes in the feed rather than the water. I was a race horse groom and they always put the electrolytes in the water and the horse would just stop drinking. I now put them in the feed and I immediately see a perkier horse.

Good luck!
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

When I moved my horses from CT to central FL, I had similar issues.

I found a product called Equiderma, which really helped.

Equiderma

Worth looking into.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

oops - sorry here it is...

http://www.equi-fab.com/

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Thanks guys! My computer locked up this morning and I wasnt able to reply!

What about riding him? I am worried about that, as we are supposed to show this weekend (and he will have to go with me regardless, as there will be no one at home to take care of him) Maybe just the first class of the day, and then spend the rest of the day keeping him cool!

SMZ is for the secondary skin infection that almost invariably comes after they lose all their hair
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

fans
    ice boots
    electrolytes in his feed
    go easy on him, I don't know that you'll get to show him, I would expect the answer is no.

mroades in gray, stuff deleted

I have a big DWB that came down here to the southeast coast about a month ago. He was doing ok, until we got ambushed by a 4am mega-thunderstorm tuesday morning. He got pelted with rain, and developed rainrot hives almost immediately. I got a little bit of steroid and anti-inflammatories in him right away, but of course this all coincided with this killer heat wave and now he has quit sweating. And he is ITCHY and losing all of his hair on his butt.

So, my question is, what else can I do for him? He has started on Guinness, One A C, and SMZ. We are having to hose him many times during the day to keep him from overheating, so anything that involves keeping him dry isnt gonna work!

I have 3 other canadian imports that are doing fine in the heat, but what elese can I do to help this one transition?

It's more or less axiomatic that cattle do well when they go west, north, or up and I think this applies to horses as well. I used to work for a rodeo stock contractor who traded South Texas bucking bulls for Canadian bucking horses. The bulls that went to Canada would buck as soon as they got off the truck, but it took the horses from Alberta about a year of South Texas heat and humidity before they'd start firing again.

As far as I know, tincture of time is the only thing that works. YMMV.
    Tom Stovall, CJF
    No me preguntes cualquier preguntas, yo te diré no mentiras.